GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Another IS20 -> IS38 question

midtenn

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey guys....I have been reading through a lot of post, but I want to ask for some final verification's.

I have a TT that I plan on putting an IS38 on. The model number of this IS38 is: 06K 145 722T
From what I can tell, this is revision T, right? It supposedly came off a Golf R and has less than 10k on it.

It is also missing the DV, WG and all the plumbing, so basically just the turbo. From my understanding, I can swap ALL of my IS20 parts over to this IS38 with no issues, is that right? I plan on getting a hardware install kit from DAP that has new o-rings and gaskets also.

I will be using the Unitronic S2+ for when I finally do this swap. I am assuming that I will still need to hook a VAGCOM up and do the WG swap/tuning or whatever it is called? Or does the S2+ tune do this for me?

I appreciate any info that you all can give me. You guys are super informed on this and I have enjoyed reading this forum. Great info here. Thanks!

pieguy

Ready to race!
Don't even bother upgrading to an is38. Just upgrade to a more reliable hybrid. EQT, VTT, Littco, Tomioka would all be better.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Don't even bother upgrading to an is38. Just upgrade to a more reliable hybrid. EQT, VTT, Littco, Tomioka would all be better.

Really depends on the goals and the budget.

IS38 is a good option for a lot of people, and OP plans to run Unitronic software so it should last a very long time.

midtenn

Passed Driver's Ed

I quickly looked into the EQT and man...it looks really nice. At least I know if I want more the options are out there. The price of the IS38 is perfect for what I am wanting out of my daily driver right now though. I don't plan on tracking it so I just want a super fun "sleeper" TT.

midtenn

Passed Driver's Ed
Really depends on the goals and the budget.

IS38 is a good option for a lot of people, and OP plans to run Unitronic software so it should last a very long time.

Exactly. The budget part is what I want for now. I am happy that I can go further if I want to, but I already had so much money into Unitronic SW that I figure later on I can stack with JB4, but that might be years down the road.

Navi

Autocross Champion
the price is good on the is38 until it blows and then you have to replace the turbo or maybe even your motor if it takes the motor out when it grenades. At the very least do an is38x from littco which works out cheaper than a new is38

stockton2007

Go Kart Champion
the price is good on the is38 until it blows and then you have to replace the turbo or maybe even your motor if it takes the motor out when it grenades. At the very least do an is38x from littco which works out cheaper than a new is38

This... IS38X is likely where i'm heading.

midtenn

Passed Driver's Ed

Ok, i'll bite. What is the best site, state side, that I can look at for info on this? Pricing and all? Looks like the main Littco site is for the UK??

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
Just picked up a used Rev. H IS38 for a very good price. If she blows, she blows. Maybe I'll get the IS20 rebuilt in the meantime. Good to know everything will swap over but wastegate actuator will require some effort. Can I reuse stock plugs or should I get the Denso IKH24's?

midtenn

Passed Driver's Ed
The WG setup.

would it be easier to just get an IS38 WG? I guess that is a dumb question since if I bought it, it wouldn't be on the turbo so I would be in the same boat. So I guess the best case scenario would be to get an IS38 with all of that stuff attached already?

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
would it be easier to just get an IS38 WG? I guess that is a dumb question since if I bought it, it wouldn't be on the turbo so I would be in the same boat. So I guess the best case scenario would be to get an IS38 with all of that stuff attached already?

Ideally, yes. Or if you are buying a turbo buy an IS38 WG and leave your IS20 WG on the old turbo. Your buyer of IS20 will thank you as well.

I believe all Littco turbos have WGs on them.