GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG Shifts Wayyy Past Redline!

Most cars can rev a little past redline safely.

Your old rsx-s can safely rev to 8500-8600 rpms over and over. My 06 rsx-s type S had the hondata reflash which pushed the redline to 8600 rpms. That NA k20a2/k20z1 is probably the best 4 cylinder ever made. Tons of fun and bulletproof.

Haha! No argument there! A naturally aspirated 4 cylinder engine that can do 200hp crank and hit 8,000rpm thousands of times with no issues, yes amazing engines.

Except I'd say K20 is 2nd best 4 cylinder. The best 4 cylinder engine might have be a tie for the F20C and F22C in the S2000's.

Yoliber

Ready to race!
I believe VW put the beginning of the redline at 6k because peak power is at 5.5k. Therefore, if you want to have the greatest amount of power under the curve, you'll want to be shifting around 6k.

The limiter is at 7.2k because that's the engine safe limit.

I believe you are fine going up to 7.2k but it's ideal to shift around 6k. Correct me if I'm wrong.

H2O_Doc

Ready to race!
I believe VW put the beginning of the redline at 6k because peak power is at 5.5k. Therefore, if you want to have the greatest amount of power under the curve, you'll want to be shifting around 6k.

The limiter is at 7.2k because that's the engine safe limit.

I believe you are fine going up to 7.2k but it's ideal to shift around 6k. Correct me if I'm wrong.

If true, that’s sort of a corruption of the definition of what the redline is.

Jumpy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'18 GTI Autobahn
There seems to be a "soft redline" and a "hard redline" on the GTI. I just figured the hard one is the true redline.

mk7gti2.0

Ready to race!
Either way you are perfectly fine taking it up to 6700-800 rpms even if the dsg holds it for a second or two. I always shift right at redline when WOT on my R and have had 0 issues in 61000 miles.

Danosaurus

Ready to race!
If you're just starting out in the morning you should be in D, S is probably why its holding second for so long. If you shift via paddle while in D or S, it will effectively put you in M for about 10 seconds then go back to whatever you were in before and apply the shifting logic of D or S.

This right here.

In my R, on cold mornings and in S mode just starting out (going at very moderate speeds 40-50KM/H), I always feel bad for the engine and think it’s holding gears too long.

Should I also warm it up in D? I also always felt that D was too aggressive at shifting up for best economy and perhaps introducing more wear than the higher RPM on the engine in S.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20ls01

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI 2016
Haha! No argument there! A naturally aspirated 4 cylinder engine that can do 200hp crank and hit 8,000rpm thousands of times with no issues, yes amazing engines.

Except I'd say K20 is 2nd best 4 cylinder. The best 4 cylinder engine might have be a tie for the F20C and F22C in the S2000's.

i think the k series is better. Has a better torque curve, better mpg, and responds to mods extremely better than the F-series. Both are very enjoyable to drive. Way more fun to beat around than our ea888 :p

HighQuality_H20

Passed Driver's Ed
Soo funny story...

I have had my 18 GTI Manual trans for two months now. I had no idea that you could shift at 7000rpm.

This morning i just happened to be browsing the forum and read this thread. Of course, i had to test this out on my morning commute to work, after warming up the engine i put my foot down at a stop light and shifted at 7000 rpm for the first time.

The engine screamed and it felt like the engine went into over drive between 6000 and 7000 RPM.

It was exhilarating and i would have had no idea that you could shift that late if you hadn't made this thread.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Soo funny story...

I have had my 18 GTI Manual trans for two months now. I had no idea that you could shift at 7000rpm.

This morning i just happened to be browsing the forum and read this thread. Of course, i had to test this out on my morning commute to work, after warming up the engine i put my foot down at a stop light and shifted at 7000 rpm for the first time.

The engine screamed and it felt like the engine went into over drive between 6000 and 7000 RPM.

It was exhilarating and i would have had no idea that you could shift that late if you hadn't made this thread.
Now to get a turbo that can actually make power up there.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

You're welcome! Glad my mini freak out at first could provide some fun to someone! Lol. Since the stock DSG tune even allows it to go up to 6,800rpm, then it's at least safe to go that far in acceleration.

However no point in doing so since power drops off significantly after 5500-5800 RPM. I feel shifting at about 5800 RPM is most ideal for the fastest acceleration time.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule

I don't even think an R makes more power at 7K. Why some people purposely make the car slower and stress the drivetrain unnecessarily at the same time is beyond me.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI

Man.... My buddy had a GT3076 on his B5.5 and that thing was plain old not driveable as a DD with that curve

mctriple

Passed Driver's Ed
What I'm not a fan of with our DSGs is it not shifting into 3rd when it's 20 degrees outside and the car hasn't sat for 20 minutes warming up. It hurts me to hear it go to 4800 before it shifts.....hurts my soul almost.

Mine keeps RPMs low when I want it to, like when it's been freezing out and the engine is cold. Go easy on the gas in D, not S, and you should have no problem.

mctriple

Passed Driver's Ed
If you're just starting out in the morning you should be in D, S is probably why its holding second for so long. If you shift via paddle while in D or S, it will effectively put you in M for about 10 seconds then go back to whatever you were in before and apply the shifting logic of D or S.

Have you noticed D seems to use more boost than S while in normal/slow acceleration, presumably because it's keeping the RPMs quite a bit lower? Mine seems to use it more in D while driving gently, and I wonder if it's better to be at somewhat higher RPMs with less turbo use until the oil is warm, or lower engine RPMs with a bit more turbo use while still warming up in the winter?

Danosaurus

Ready to race!
Have you noticed D seems to use more boost than S while in normal/slow acceleration, presumably because it's keeping the RPMs quite a bit lower? Mine seems to use it more in D while driving gently, and I wonder if it's better to be at somewhat higher RPMs with less turbo use until the oil is warm, or lower engine RPMs with a bit more turbo use while still warming up in the winter?

I'm curious about the whole D (Normal mode), versus S (Race, or my custom mode)....

Preference wise, I like to use Race (or my custom mode which is race but softer suspension), but in the winter, those higher RPM on a cold motor makes me unsure it's a great idea.

Should I be warming up and driving along in D until a higher oil temp and then switching to Race/Custom which hits the higher RPM?

Or does none of this really matter?