GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG Shifts Wayyy Past Redline!

So for the first time since I got my GTI about 11 days ago, I did WOT from 0 mph in Sport mode with ESC and ASC off, and in Auto shifting mode. No launch mode used.

Well it did something VERY alarming that scared the shit out of me. I'm still a little worried it might have damaged something.

Check out this video right here.

It's a great detailed review of a MK7.5 DSG. But if you don't want watch the entire thing, just skip to 11:26, then pay close attention to particularly his 2nd launch.

That's EXACTLY what happened to me today when I did WOT in Sport Auto today (did not use launch control like he does). Pay close attention to the RPM tachometer and look how it goes up to around 6700-6800rpm in 1st gear, then literally holds it there for like a full 2 seconds.

Does your DSG GTI do that in Sport Auto?!?! Mine did and it felt very wrong to the engine. Even the reviewer who has reviewed hundreds of cars said he felt like he was going to break the engine.

Afterwards I did WOT in Normal Auto and it shifted at around 5800-5900rpm, what I would expect in Auto Normal. But I'm still freaked out. Is going up to like 6700-6800rpm in Sport mode Auto completely normal for this engine well into redline? And then is it normal for it to HOLD it there 1-2 seconds?

Keep in mind this coming from someone who had a RSX Type-S in the past and frequently ran it to the edge of redline at 7,900 rpm. So I'm certainly no stranger to high RPMs. But brining it 700-800rpm PAST redline and the HOLDING it there just seems so wrong.

Last edited:

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Rev limiter is 7200 RPM. Going into redline is fine. I can't tell you why the DSG holds the RPM, I assume it has to do with the logic of the TCU/ECU, but I can tell you it is normal. How did you have a RSX Type-S and never bounce it off the rev limiter? How else do you VTEC? Hahaha just having some fun.

But yeah the rev limiter is what protects the car, the redline is just a mark on the tach. Manual guys can actually over rev (on downshift) and have bad things happen, but the DSG won't let you.

Last edited:
Rev limiter is 7200 RPM. Going into redline is fine. I can't tell you why the DSG holds the RPM, I assume it has to do with the logic of the TCU/ECU, but I can tell you it is normal. How did you have a RSX Type-S and never bounce it off the rev limiter? How else do you VTEC? Hahaha just having some fun.

But yeah the rev limiter is what protects the car, the redline is just a mark on the tach. Manual guys can actually over rev (on downshift) and have bad things happen, but the DSG won't let you.

Lol! Thanks for the reassurance. So you're saying this same exact thing happens to your Sport DSG too in WOT using Sport Auto? And that all DSG Autos in Sport Auto mode got to 6800rpm and hold it there for 1-2 seconds?

Even if it's normal I am never doing WOT in Sport Auto again. I don't trust the stock TCU in that situation. Manual only for me in Sport mode under WOT from here on out lol.

EDIT: Just looked at the manual. The only thing it says about the red zone is... "To help prevent engine damage, the tachometer needle should only enter the red zone (warning zone) briefly, for example when accelerating rapidly."

Strange... so it does say to avoid staying in it except briefly. I feel like being in it for 2 seconds was not briefly when that's about 1/3 the time 0-60mph sprint takes on the stock car.

Last edited:

Dan84

Ready to race!
That's normal if the car it's on sports mode. My first encounter I also thought something will go wrong but nope.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Hambone

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2020 TR GTI SE
You're fine. The engine has limiters that prevent you from over revving with a DSG. Its probably not a great idea to live in the 6000+ RPM area for extended periods of time, but wringing out the engine won't hurt anything.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
It's holding it at 6800+ because there is no traction and you're not going fast enough yet to require an upshift.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
What I'm not a fan of with our DSGs is it not shifting into 3rd when it's 20 degrees outside and the car hasn't sat for 20 minutes warming up. It hurts me to hear it go to 4800 before it shifts.....hurts my soul almost.

Sharpen

Passed Driver's Ed
I waited until I got my 1k oil change in before I hammered the pedal....I was shocked to see the Dsg shift around 6k...Can't wait to see what it does after I throw some parts on Her.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Hmm, my R runs up to 6,700 RPM then snaps into the next gear. It doesn't "hold" the RPM. You acceleration times must be atrocious.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
What I'm not a fan of with our DSGs is it not shifting into 3rd when it's 20 degrees outside and the car hasn't sat for 20 minutes warming up. It hurts me to hear it go to 4800 before it shifts.....hurts my soul almost.

You should be able to manually shift it around 2500, at least I can with a TCU tune. Granted its only been down to 26'ish this morning, but as long as I take it real easy for my first 1/2/3 shift of the drive it will shift to 3rd at 2500.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
You should be able to manually shift it around 2500, at least I can with a TCU tune. Granted its only been down to 26'ish this morning, but as long as I take it real easy for my first 1/2/3 shift of the drive it will shift to 3rd at 2500.
So it's been a looooong time since I've had a dsg... School me. In "S" ...I can manually paddle shift? Does it stay in"S", or does that move turn it into "M" mode?

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
So it's been a looooong time since I've had a dsg... School me. In "S" ...I can manually paddle shift? Does it stay in"S", or does that move turn it into "M" mode?

If you're just starting out in the morning you should be in D, S is probably why its holding second for so long. If you shift via paddle while in D or S, it will effectively put you in M for about 10 seconds then go back to whatever you were in before and apply the shifting logic of D or S.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
If you're just starting out in the morning you should be in D, S is probably why its holding second for so long. If you shift via paddle while in D or S, it will effectively put you in M for about 10 seconds then go back to whatever you were in before and apply the shifting logic of D or S.
Money. Thank you. Awesome to know it shifts back automatically.