GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R Arrivals??

Das auto1

Passed Driver's Ed
I would guess that the depreciation on the uprated colors will be nearly 100% once driven off the lot. The exception would be if there are buyers for a specific, highly sought after color. In short, those $2500 colors should only be chosen to make the original buyer happy, knowing that the premium likely never gets recovered through a sale.

This is purely speculation. I do not mean to present my thoughts as if I am an expert on auto remarketing.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

That’s kind of how I feel. If I buy a new Golf R in special color then I’m keeping it a long time. Was just curious about used market on special colors if they really hold that value or not.

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
That’s kind of how I feel. If I buy a new Golf R in special color then I’m keeping it a long time. Was just curious about used market on special colors if they really hold that value or not.

highly doubtful they will hold more $$ due to very few owners wanting that from factory. its either order custom paint code or try to match vinyl as close as possible.

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
It makes not sense. Golf Rs are few and far between around here yet it will be months before more are available. Does not seem like a smart way for VW to sell cars.

Selling the R isn't smart regardless. Low volume car is barely a drop in the bucket of the units they sell in the us.

There was a delay on 2018s and they've sold almost 3300 through the end of November this year vs 2700 through the same time period last year. VW has sold nearly 330,000 cars so far this year, so the R makes up just over 1% of their total unit volume...

https://media.vw.com/en-us/releases/1107

crunch527

It makes not sense. Golf Rs are few and far between around here yet it will be months before more are available. Does not seem like a smart way for VW to sell cars.

Wait a minute...

There are 3 of them at Alexandria VW? $36,500 ea...1 black and 2 white...all with 6 speeds.

And a Grey, 6 speed at another dealer in that same area...

33b5e5

Passed Driver's Ed
I bought one of the last 4 new ones that were left in New England last week, and I'm glad I did. I'm loving this car... Oryx White with a 6 speed. I traded in my 2012 GTI with an APR stage 1 tune. This car is like night and day compared to the GTI. It barely feels like it's from the same family. Loved the GTI, too, but the R is a whole different animal.

Anyway, there are still 3 left up here scattered across VT, MA, and RI...

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Welcome to the world of GPFs (or OPFs as they like to call them in Europe)... petrolgate coming to a country near you soon :rolleyes:
I keep hearing rumors about this, but no solid info. Do you have a source that confirms GPFs?

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold

Same thing happened last year and dealers were out of Rs for a very long time.

There are very few options in this price range and R buyers generally would not prefer other sporty options (CTR, RS, STI) in this segment. In that scenario, they are going to wait. Since R isnt targeted towards mass market, the delay isnt going to make a big difference for VW.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
Same thing happened last year and dealers were out of Rs for a very long time.

There are very few options in this price range and R buyers generally would not prefer other sporty options (CTR, RS, STI) in this segment. In that scenario, they are going to wait. Since R isnt targeted towards mass market, the delay isnt going to make a big difference for VW.

It's a niche car for sure. I think I referred to it elsewhere as the apex predator on a dead-end evolutionary branch. Bad ass in its territory but irrelevant to most everyone else.

One reason why my next car won't be another Golf. My interests/needs are drifting out of the natural habitat of the R.

njswider

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 Golf R
Last time I checked there were single digit DSG 2018’s on the east coast. The manuals are still available if you travel for them. My dealer said I could order a 19 to my specs without a down payment or any commitment and if we can’t work out a deal when it arrives, “we could always use another R”.

Last edited:

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
Last time I checked there were single digit DSG 2018’s on the east coast. The manuals are still available if you travel for them. My dealer said I could order a 19 to my specs without a down payment or any commitment and if we can’t work out a deal when it arrives, “we could always use another R”.
I'm surprised by that. My dealer is sketch about ordering the spectrum cars and will be on order only basis since I would want shade x of a color and the other guy might want y shade. You'll be waiting a while tho if we ever get the order guides out.

njswider

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 Golf R
I'm surprised by that. My dealer is sketch about ordering the spectrum cars and will be on order only basis since I would want shade x of a color and the other guy might want y shade. You'll be waiting a while tho if we ever get the order guides out.

Order guides are out, they sent me one back in November. It’s in black and white but I can post it here if anyone is interested. I told them I’d be getting DSG in Lapiz or Indium so they probably figure it’s low risk and we have a good relationship.

Edit: Below are the guides. Dealer sent me invoice guide in B&W, I found the retail guide in color.

Invoice B&W: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1fRRIy5AfPLHBR2s4oXz001TotdhAOHmE

Retail Color: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1qYgKxXN-ErYEnzdgSS4QzInFzhy8keQ4

Last edited: