GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sachs 4 puck- thoughts?

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
yup. when i got there he picked it up and said "good call" and went on to explain the height difference with the metal one tending to be too short.
Ah crap. Hope my Sachs unit is the same as the LUK. This thread is full of good info.

stockton2007

Go Kart Champion
I don't know what Billy or you would be talking about my metal TOB engages just fine

Just relaying a comment, i honestly couldn't speak to differences as i've never seen the all metal one.

Quick updatae, approaching 500 miles (50/50 highway / city) and the pedal feels great. Has lighted up significantly but has a nice weight to know the engagement point.

TheProfessional

Go Kart Newbie
Just relaying a comment, i honestly couldn't speak to differences as i've never seen the all metal one.

According to DKM this is true. They recommended a TOB for the MK6 (which the all metal version is) to remedy some engagement issues. They stated that the MK7 version was slightly taller. I had both the all metal VAG version and the FTE one that came with my DKM kit and measured several dimensions. From what I could tell, uncompressed there was no difference (granted I did not measure it with calipers, so it could be .002' different). Perhaps the compressed height is where the difference is, which is one measurement I did not get.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
That's what I like to hear. Any change in engagement point since first install?

Quick updatae, approaching 500 miles (50/50 highway / city) and the pedal feels great. Has lighted up significantly but has a nice weight to know the engagement point.

mk7_drew

Passed Driver's Ed
Going further back into this post regarding the R and the GTI having two different part numbers for the PP, would the Golf R pressure plate have a higher holding capacity than the GTI? Only asking because I've read almost everywhere unless I'm mistaken that the GTI and the R use the same clutch pack so they should be interchangable nonetheless. Can't find an actual solid reason why the PNs would be different.

Also does anyone have any information on the Torque limits of the factory DMF? Reading other posts I've come to the conclusion that we use the same DMF as the R as well, inside the DMF there are springs or "torque limiters" which either slip or disengage when reaching the torque limits. Wouldnt this be something to wary of as well?

I've seen many posts where people claim the factory DMF is at fault and others where the PP is at fault. Puzzling.

TheProfessional

Go Kart Newbie
inside the DMF there are springs or "torque limiters" which either slip or disengage when reaching the torque limits.

Not sure where you got this from. The dual mass flywheel is just a vibration absorber/dampener. There are linear springs in a closed housing. Nothing can engage/disengage.

Like most mechanical components, the more moving parts, the more risk of something failing. A single mass flywheel is as simple as it gets and will be the most reliable, but it also has less vibration dampening ability, so there is a noise penalty.

stockton2007

Go Kart Champion
That's what I like to hear. Any change in engagement point since first install?

I don't think so, and i say that because i added a clutch stop about 300 miles in, so that is throwing me off.

Going further back into this post regarding the R and the GTI having two different part numbers for the PP, would the Golf R pressure plate have a higher holding capacity than the GTI? Only asking because I've read almost everywhere unless I'm mistaken that the GTI and the R use the same clutch pack so they should be interchangable nonetheless. Can't find an actual solid reason why the PNs would be different.

Also does anyone have any information on the Torque limits of the factory DMF? Reading other posts I've come to the conclusion that we use the same DMF as the R as well, inside the DMF there are springs or "torque limiters" which either slip or disengage when reaching the torque limits. Wouldnt this be something to wary of as well?

I've seen many posts where people claim the factory DMF is at fault and others where the PP is at fault. Puzzling.

According to SACHS, when you pair either part number PP with the 4 puck and the oem DMF, both power ratings are 810NM. I requested additional info from Sachs but they have not shared anymore detail. I mean, both the gti and r are the same platform. I am not sure why they would use different parts, but i could see them using different part numbers to differentiate. Maybe? It is puzzling. I've tried to cross reference as much info as i could from Sachs, FCP and my installer. Sachs doesn't say there is a difference, but also doesn't say there isn't, just gives me a list of cars listed for both part numbers. FCP claims there is a very slight difference, hence the need for different part numbers (and will likely only cover the correct part number for the correct car with their warranty). My installer, and referencing SouthBend's research, says no difference and has installed them interchangeably.

I have also read that the DMF's can't hold as much power as SMF, but I do not know what that limit is.

Am i a little nervous about the PP part numbers differing? A little. But i can't get to the needed info to know for sure or not I think it also depends on your goals. I am about 85% settled on the IS38X when the time comes, with about 400 ft lbs, which is 66% of the rating handling, so not really pushing the limits.

mk7_drew

Passed Driver's Ed
Not sure where you got this from. The dual mass flywheel is just a vibration absorber/dampener. There are linear springs in a closed housing. Nothing can engage/disengage.

Like most mechanical components, the more moving parts, the more risk of something failing. A single mass flywheel is as simple as it gets and will be the most reliable, but it also has less vibration dampening ability, so there is a noise penalty.

https://www.phoenixfriction.com/t-what-is-a-dual-mass-flywheel.aspx
That's the link to where I got some of the information from, not sure how reliable it is though :(

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
The different part numbers could be a tracking mechanism like Burger Motorsports uses with their piggyback units. The units for the GTI, GOLF, and GOLF R all have different "Group" numbers, but they are exactly the same unit and can be used on any of the cars. Burger says they do it for inventory and tracking reasons.

According to SACHS, when you pair either part number PP with the 4 puck and the oem DMF, both power ratings are 810NM. I requested additional info from Sachs but they have not shared anymore detail. I mean, both the gti and r are the same platform. I am not sure why they would use different parts, but i could see them using different part numbers to differentiate. Maybe? It is puzzling. I've tried to cross reference as much info as i could from Sachs, FCP and my installer. Sachs doesn't say there is a difference, but also doesn't say there isn't, just gives me a list of cars listed for both part numbers. FCP claims there is a very slight difference, hence the need for different part numbers (and will likely only cover the correct part number for the correct car with their warranty). My installer, and referencing SouthBend's research, says no difference and has installed them interchangeably.

I have also read that the DMF's can't hold as much power as SMF, but I do not know what that limit is.

Am i a little nervous about the PP part numbers differing? A little. But i can't get to the needed info to know for sure or not I think it also depends on your goals. I am about 85% settled on the IS38X when the time comes, with about 400 ft lbs, which is 66% of the rating handling, so not really pushing the limits.