GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sachs 4 puck- thoughts?

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
If there is an upgraded DMFW that fits this kit, I'd like to install it at some point. I may actually take the 4 puck out at that point and install a full face.

dunkelweizen

Go Kart Newbie
I saw the picture and also wondered if that was just a generic stock picture/diagram.

I just sent Sachs a message through their website asking to confirm whether it is metal or rubber springs inside. I'll update when/if they get back to me.

Cheers.

Update:
@mbmb @ZuMBLe - Heard back from Sachs and bad news. Sounds like it is rubber springs in that Sachs DMFW. It is the exact same as the OE stock VW one.

"unfortunately, this flywheel won't be reinforced - it's 1:1 the same as the stock factory wheel.
The pictures we use are only symbol pictures and doesn't show the actual product..."

I'm going to do some digging to see if the LuK DMFW will have rubber or metal springs. If it is inconclusive, then I will just buy the Sachs one from FCP Euro and be done with it. And should I have the misfortune of having it melt, then I will at least get the flywheel replaced for free to soften the blow a bit. Will update if I have more info on the LuK DMFW.

dunkelweizen

Go Kart Newbie
If there is an upgraded DMFW that fits this kit, I'd like to install it at some point. I may actually take the 4 puck out at that point and install a full face.

I'd like to find one too, but haven't come across any DMFW option other than the OE Sachs one and the OEM LuK one. And I don't intend to do the Sachs 4 puck at all, but rather the Sach SRE organic disc with LuK TTRS PP. I only stumbled into this thread while jumping all over the place doing research on the aforementioned combo...

Benihana

Go Kart Champion
I just installed the fourth clutch in my 2015 GTI.

First, the stock clutch. The stock dual-mass flywheel used rubber springs. After I went to Eurodyne Stage 2, these turned to goo (due to heat from clutch slipping because of increased torque?).

The second clutch was Sachs's 530Nm clutch (https://www.sachsperformance.com/en...h-sachs/performance-clutch-kit-001422-999505b) with single-mass flywheel and sprung plate.

There was some chatter ("is something wrong with your car?") and the clutch pedal was much stiffer. It lasted about 45,000 miles, including about 15,000 miles on an IS38 tune.

I made the mistake of replacing it with another 530Nm clutch. At this point I also installed a Wavetrac LSD (which may have increased the strain on the clutch by maximizing torque to the non-slipping tire?). The clutch lasted about 15,000 miles on IS38 tune, again.

So now I've gone up to Sachs's 810Nm DMF clutch (https://www.sachsperformance.com/en...h-sachs/performance-clutch-kit-001422-999505b) and their DMF (https://www.sachsperformance.com/en/clutch-kit/zf-sachs/flywheel-vw-golf-7-gti-169kw), which has metal springs instead of the stock rubber, so that failure point is eliminated. (Incorrect information; see @ZuMBLe post on next page.)

My initial impression is that the pedal is much softer (stock-soft), which surprised me, but the engagment is much more aggressive, which did not. I'll give further impressions in a few thousand miles.
Just installed the kit today....same conclusion: stock pedal like feel with almost instant engagement. Altogether not too bad, I can get used to it.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Just installed the kit today....same conclusion: stock pedal like feel with almost instant engagement. Altogether not too bad, I can get used to it.
Really?? Stock feel? Mine is waaay heavier than stock.

mk7_drew

Passed Driver's Ed
Really?? Stock feel? Mine is waaay heavier than stock.
Yea mine was considerably stiffer than stock as well. SBC Stage 3 I’m running right now is just slightly lighter than that.

Benihana

Go Kart Champion
Honestly the new setup feels like stock to me after living with the BFI for more than a year. I must have forgot what the stock feel was like, but the bfi has a really stiff pedal feel even after break in.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Honestly the new setup feels like stock to me after living with the BFI for more than a year. I must have forgot what the stock feel was like, but the bfi has a really stiff pedal feel even after break in.
Yea.. you're gonna laugh at your comment if you get in a stock clutch MK7. Haha. And stock clutch MK7 drivers will laugh when they get in your car and step on the clutch.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
How are you guys liking this clutch so far ?

This is my first option when I eventually replace the OEM one.

See if the full face version meets your needs first. If not, the 4 puck is good, but it has it's quirks. Like squeaking when slipping and shuttering if you aren't almost perfect with engagement. I use mine in NYC traffic, so it's doable.

Oscar_T10

Ready to race!
Car(s)
18 VW GTI SE 6 SP
See if the full face version meets your needs first. If not, the 4 puck is good, but it has it's quirks. Like squeaking when slipping and shuttering if you aren't almost perfect with engagement. I use mine in NYC traffic, so it's doable.
Ok I see. I don't drive the car every day so I don't mind some chattering.