GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Skid plate installed today

Exiwolfman

Passed Driver's Ed
Easy install and will help with the plastic oil pan.

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Mounting a low hanging aluminum shield to plastic to protect plastic?

Any significant hit and it’ll hinge on the only solid attach point (the subframe which is at the rear of the shield). The plastic core support and side splash guards aren’t strong enough to support anywhere near the weight of the car, so the shield becomes a battering ram.

To those reading this is NOT a suggestion any of the senior members here would make. If you feel obligated to do something along these lines a stamped steel pan is 1/8th the cost and would hold up night and day better than this...but still not saying there’s anything wrong with our plastic oil pan

Good news is the plastic pan isn’t an issue unless you’re absolutely slammed on coilovers, so you probably won’t have any issues just like everyone else

Exiwolfman

Passed Driver's Ed

Any significant hit and it’ll hinge on the only solid attach point (the subframe which is at the rear of the shield). The plastic core support and side splash guards aren’t strong enough to support anywhere near the weight of the car, so the shield becomes a battering ram.

To those reading this is NOT a suggestion any of the senior members here would make. If you feel obligated to do something along these lines a stamped steel pan is 1/8th the cost and would hold up night and day better than this...but still not saying there’s anything wrong with our plastic oil pan

Good news is the plastic pan isn’t an issue unless you’re absolutely slammed on coilovers, so you probably won’t have any issues just like everyone else
And we have a winner [emoji1628] I'm sorry but I don't plan to go off road I do and will lower my car shortly and actually if you have seen one in person you would say differently.
Main support is the sub frame rest holds it in place and is actually no different than what vw offers made out of plastic for more money.
Also one can get additional support if u plan on jumping ur car... I say I rather have it and be safer cos plastic oil pan don't take much to brake from almost anything on the road.
I just find it so funny on how ppl can make an assumption with out actually buying or using the product and how it works.

And at 14lbs it adds lots of protection to the motor.

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

paulkromz

Drag Racing Champion
everyone has a reason for doing mods to their car.
whether it be something they did to a previous car and finally had the opportunity to do so on their or not.

FYI I had one of these on my MK7 - ran it on H&R Deep Coils through Baltimore City and NEVER hit this plate ever. These engines are mounted so damn high in the bay there really is no use for a skid plate.

my former POS

But I know this because I ran one and never had an issue.

Experienced owners of past Volkswagens know that this has been an issue in the past for many generations of water cooled VWs - so to see this being offered, I understand the reason people buy it....

OP - enjoy the skid plate.

Here is an old picture of one of my 1978 Golf that I installed a chrome plated Volkswagen Motorsport oil pan guard on.

That oil pan guard saved my pan on numerous times. This was before I bought an enclosed trailer so I had to use a U-Haul trailer. As you can see it was a nightmare to load on the trailer.

Best,

Paul

codered911

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK8

You act like you build things for fun or a side business or something... So glad you posted this as I was looking at the alltrack skid plate to help out with the winter up here in the NE.

Also, I guess Baun will not be making a skid plate next? lmao

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
You act like you build things for fun or a side business or something... So glad you posted this as I was looking at the alltrack skid plate to help out with the winter up here in the NE.

For my GSW, I opted for the thinner aero tray rather than the more robust skid tray. I just wanted better underside aerodynamics, and also to help reduce winter salt and slush splashing around the engine bay. The thicker skid tray appears to be a bargain, I could have gotten it for the same price as the thin tray.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I still can't understand why people fit these badly designed aftermarket undertrays when VW make a thin aero full cover & a proper thicker skid tray...

The parts have been available in NAR for a few years now as its used on the Alltrack versions..parts are NOT unique to Alltrack as its the skid tray for all MK7 Golfs & other MQB platform cars...

I don't do off road & have the factory sports suspension...so GTI/R ride height....but in winter when you ice blocks on the road..or you run over small animals.....& yes I have a steel oil pan as just a 1.4lt...

each too their own, but the VW OEM version is way better, stronger, better fixed to car, better aero, protects more against dirt entry (look at the big gaps/scoops/voids each side...etc...etc...

there is search function..hell just put "skid aero trays mk7 golf" into google & the first hit is my thread on here....

THEREALVRT

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf R
I still can't understand why people fit these badly designed aftermarket undertrays when VW make a thin aero full cover & a proper thicker skid tray...

The parts have been available in NAR for a few years now as its used on the Alltrack versions..parts are NOT unique to Alltrack as its the skid tray for all MK7 Golfs & other MQB platform cars...

I don't do off road & have the factory sports suspension...so GTI/R ride height....but in winter when you ice blocks on the road..or you run over small animals.....& yes I have a steel oil pan as just a 1.4lt...

each too their own, but the VW OEM version is way better, stronger, better fixed to car, better aero, protects more against dirt entry (look at the big gaps/scoops/voids each side...etc...etc...

there is search function..hell just put "skid aero trays mk7 golf" into google & the first hit is my thread on here....

i googled and found your thread, i am a bit confused as to which one of those is a skid protector. I cannot see how anything plastic is going to survive an impact at the very cold temps we get here in canada as plastic becomes quite brittle at colder temps. I see -20 to -35c where i am
thanks

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
i googled and found your thread, i am a bit confused as to which one of those is a skid protector. I cannot see how anything plastic is going to survive an impact at the very cold temps we get here in canada as plastic becomes quite brittle at colder temps. I see -20 to -35c where i am
thanks

The OEM skid tray is GRP (glass reinforced plastic)...& several layers of it also...made for places like eastern Europe, Norway, Sweden, Russia etc..

the post on the skid tray is here:-
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpost.php?p=103087&postcount=2

& the section for the parts is this & very clear its the skid tray parts...

QUOTE:-
SKID TRAY VW parts list & approx costs in UK £
Item No. 23:- 5Q0 825 902C, Underrun bar with one duct (Skid tray), £195.73***
Item No. 23:- 5Q0 825 902B, Underrun bar with NO ducts (Skid tray), DO NOT GET as NO air ducts
Item No. 24:- 909 747 01, Black wide head T-star screw A04B, £0.16 (x7)
Item No. 25:- 019 530 7, Flange hex head bolt (M8x25mm), £0.93 (x7)
Item No. 26:- 5Q0 825 921, Retaining bracket, £6.98***
Item No. 26:- 5Q0 825 922, Retaining bracket, £6.98***
Item No. 27:- 907 559 02, Spline head bolt with washer, £1.14 (x2)***
***=Only these items required from the dealers in my project!***

For NAR (USA, Canada, Mexico, etc) Forum member "ADVNTURR" has found that the following parts are easier to order in NAR & do fit as he posts in this thread here:-Click here

Item No. 23:- 3Q0 825 902, Underrun bar (Skid tray), $282.48***
Item No. 27:- N 0195 307, Hex head bolt , $ (x2)***(easier to fit this bolt in tight space but the one above is the correct VW one)

I have confirmed with the VW ETKA & these parts are correct for NAR MK7 Golf, & the tray is from a new Passat hence the "3Q0" start to the part number. The Passat is also an MQB platform car so will share many parts & dimensions.

END QUOTE

THEREALVRT

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf R
The OEM skid tray is GRP (glass reinforced plastic)...& several layers of it also...made for places like eastern Europe, Norway, Sweden, Russia etc..

the post on the skid tray is here:-
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpost.php?p=103087&postcount=2

& the section for the parts is this & very clear its the skid tray parts...

QUOTE:-
SKID TRAY VW parts list & approx costs in UK £
Item No. 23:- 5Q0 825 902C, Underrun bar with one duct (Skid tray), £195.73***
Item No. 23:- 5Q0 825 902B, Underrun bar with NO ducts (Skid tray), DO NOT GET as NO air ducts
Item No. 24:- 909 747 01, Black wide head T-star screw A04B, £0.16 (x7)
Item No. 25:- 019 530 7, Flange hex head bolt (M8x25mm), £0.93 (x7)
Item No. 26:- 5Q0 825 921, Retaining bracket, £6.98***
Item No. 26:- 5Q0 825 922, Retaining bracket, £6.98***
Item No. 27:- 907 559 02, Spline head bolt with washer, £1.14 (x2)***
***=Only these items required from the dealers in my project!***

For NAR (USA, Canada, Mexico, etc) Forum member "ADVNTURR" has found that the following parts are easier to order in NAR & do fit as he posts in this thread here:-Click here

Item No. 23:- 3Q0 825 902, Underrun bar (Skid tray), $282.48***
Item No. 27:- N 0195 307, Hex head bolt , $ (x2)***(easier to fit this bolt in tight space but the one above is the correct VW one)

I have confirmed with the VW ETKA & these parts are correct for NAR MK7 Golf, & the tray is from a new Passat hence the "3Q0" start to the part number. The Passat is also an MQB platform car so will share many parts & dimensions.

END QUOTE
:)
THANKS

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion

If it was an issue on these cars I might, but it’s honestly not. Golf Dave has done a tremendous job with OEM informative threads on getting some extra piece of mind without buying aftermarket

The ECS piece would be good if it included proper mounting hardware (brackets) to hard mount the forward outer edges to the frame horns if you will.

Previous generations had great options from Diesel Geek among others that you could literally jack the car by, which is the absolute minimum before claiming it’s a skid plate IMO.

OP no offense, if you like it that’s all that matters, but I’m the unbiased BS caller of marketing departments. See thread aimed at unnecessary “performance” mods

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26845

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
Looks good OP, well done.

I too had a skid plate for going on a couple years now. I used the one Golfdave recommended, quite happy with and good to have the assurance after reading about a few folks who cracked their pan and were stranded. It adds an extra five minutes for oil changes so no big deal.