GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Decision time...JB4 vs. APR..

NY01

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm at 500 miles on my 2018 GTI DSG and was curious what quarter mile MPH I could get with either of these and why you believe I should do one vs. other? I know their is lots to search on this forum, but never really found true back to back or race comparisons. I know I would likely lose warranty with APR and would favor JB4 if the speed at quarter is same/close and driveability. I appreciate the feedback.

ourlee

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 TT 17 GTI S
For me, I’m pro warranty. But if I was diving in, I’d go stage 2, these cars are TOO quiet.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
There’s more to it than quarter mile times. APR will improve highway gas mileage, alter throttle response/mapping, and improve partial throttle delivery. JB4 does not do those things. It only activates above 9psi

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion
Warranty vs no warranty

DP03

Ready to race!
Well, you're going to get all kinds of responses for each. All I can tell you is that I've had over 10,000 miles of APR S2 and I love it. Zero issues, and my mpg is averaging 36 in mixed driving on my commute (50 miles round trip). The car's a beast compared to stock.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
How about Cobb AccessPort?

I use that on my Subaru's. Re-flash at home and at tuner if you wish to have custom tune done. If I didn't' already have a JB1 on my Golf-R, I would definitely go for AP.

N2fastcars

Ready to race!
Well, you're going to get all kinds of responses for each. All I can tell you is that I've had over 10,000 miles of APR S2 and I love it. Zero issues, and my mpg is averaging 36 in mixed driving on my commute (50 miles round trip). The car's a beast compared to stock.

Same here! It’s night and day difference over stock power wise, but driveability is slightly better than stock. It makes a lot more torque down low so it takes less throttle input to accelerate to the same speed. My car trapped almost 108 APR stage 1.

On the flip side, 6/72 is hard to risk if something major happens.

NY01

Passed Driver's Ed
It's so hard, as I had an A4 years back that had GIAC chip that ran great and no issues, but if you are flagged, that's a downer for resale...I'm just so curious how close they are in terms of performance.:rolleyes:

Mk7gtifl

Ready to race!
How about Cobb AccessPort?

I use that on my Subaru's. Re-flash at home and at tuner if you wish to have custom tune done. If I didn't' already have a JB1 on my Golf-R, I would definitely go for AP.

If going that route, make sure you get an 5150 tune.

Hammerli

Having just traded my Charger Scatpack on the GTI, I’ve become obsessed with tune research. I’m not going to get the 70-130 times I did with a 500/500 car, but I’ve got to split the difference from stock. I just can’t decide how much bias in the equation to place on warranty. I mean I know I’ll need a clutch sometime between quickly and fairly quickly, but from what I’ve read, the tuned cars are not having specific failures, so I’m sort of leaning APR right now. Fortunately I’ve got the MI winter to get some miles in, and continue researching. Does APR run sales or promotions? I would be inclined to do their exhaust and intake with tune if so.

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion
Having just traded my Charger Scatpack on the GTI, I’ve become obsessed with tune research. I’m not going to get the 70-130 times I did with a 500/500 car, but I’ve got to split the difference from stock. I just can’t decide how much bias in the equation to place on warranty. I mean I know I’ll need a clutch sometime between quickly and fairly quickly, but from what I’ve read, the tuned cars are not having specific failures, so I’m sort of leaning APR right now. Fortunately I’ve got the MI winter to get some miles in, and continue researching. Does APR run sales or promotions? I would be inclined to do their exhaust and intake with tune if so.

If you never plan to do anything else to your car APR is the best OTS tune out there....that said, I would never run it, as I like being able to protune, buy bigger turbos, etc

OBP

Go Kart Newbie
Just playing devils advocate, but the two most recent threads about their engine blowing up were tuned with APR.

MAP has a thread where they gained 30+ WHP by adding 3 gal of E85 to their APR tuned Golf (APR doesn’t sell an E30 blend tune). So that tells me that the APR tune is pretty aggressive, something you should be cognizant of when deciding which set it and forget it tune you want to go with.

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
There’s more to it than quarter mile times. APR will improve highway gas mileage, alter throttle response/mapping, and improve partial throttle delivery. JB4 does not do those things. It only activates above 9psi

JB1 activates above 9psi. JB4 has access to pedal position as well do works quite a bit differently.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Just as a point of information.

You don't get to just keep your powertrain warranty and have the JB.

What you gain is the ability to more easily defraud VW if you pop your turbo.

Mostly kidding, but it's important to note how exactly you keep the warranty intact.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk