GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Thinking of getting a MK7 ...

vhl71

Passed Driver's Ed
Considering trading my 2011 335 Xi for a used 2018 golf Tsi (23000kms). Had a few bimmers in my life. With my 335 at 175000kms I don’t want to be spending a whole lot of maintenance at the moment. So decided to test drive a new golf and surprisingly I didn’t feel a let down compared to my 335

Considering the 1.8L 180hp it is quite peppy and I loved the way it handles on highway and tight corners.

Is it worth for me to get this car? It is within my budget but I don’t want to regret it later. I know my wife will already wonder what’s wrong with me going from a bmw to Golf

Has anyone done something similar?

PS I like the gti- but don’t want to spend that much money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sumfuncomet

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Mercedes E63 S
The Golf would be great! I had a BMW 535xi MT. Great car but lots to maintain. The Golf can be easily modded for more power, put on some good tires and you will have fun. Beware of the sunroofs as some have leaked. I have a six speed in my Alltrack, the five speed manual in the Golf is less sporty.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Coming from a 40K BMW you don't wanna spend 25K on a GTI, but you want to spend 20K on a Golf? The value add in the 5K premium on the GTI is very much so there... But hey, it's your money, your choice.

toastergod

I would run from the BMW so fast. #moneypit Just my opinion. I don't know anyone that has had good long term experience with BMW, myself included.

vhl71

Passed Driver's Ed
Coming from a 40K BMW you don't wanna spend 25K on a GTI, but you want to spend 20K on a Golf? The value add in the 5K premium on the GTI is very much so there... But hey, it's your money, your choice.

As I said, my BMW isn’t worth much now with 175kms. For golf I’ll be paying only C$9K on top. For the same money I’ll get a 2012 GTI with 90kms.
That’s the choice I’ve. Either get a 2012 GTI (90kms) or a 2018 golf (20kms)

Pikkagtr

Ready to race!
I would run from the BMW so fast. #moneypit Just my opinion. I don't know anyone that has had good long term experience with BMW, myself included.

We've got a 229k mile e39 M5 that begs to differ
Cars are only as good as the owners and their maintenance schedule

Jacobmk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI S 4dr DSG
Like you said the BMW isn’t worth much, just keep it until it blows up, why not. Plus the 335i is a beast, if I didn’t get a gti I would have gotten an used f30 335i.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
The 335 was a decent car by 2011, much better than the early E90/E92's, which had a myriad of problems, especially the HPFP.

But - I still wouldn't want to own one with that kind of mileage and no warranty. Any number of things could go south that would be insanely expensive to repair. Then you're left with a car that's still older and high mileage, with the next time bomb (whatever it may be) ticking away.

But why buy a Golf and not at least a GTI, if not an R? I think if you save a few bucks by going the Golf route, that you'll regret it later. Much less likely if you step up to a GTI or R. Good luck with your decision.

vhl71

Passed Driver's Ed
KevinC; But why buy a Golf and not at least a GTI said:
Yes. But to get a 2015 GTI or newer the price difference is quite big. Plus there is only one dealer who’s giving me a decent trade value for my bimmer. He doesn’t have any GTI. Rest of them want mine for literally nothing.
So essentially I may do this trade just to get rid of my bmw. Down the road I may sel or trade the golf for a gti. Since I’m getting a good deal on the golf I may not lose too much money if I decide to get a gti later.

inc55

Go Kart Champion
Just do it bro. Golf gti R they are all good. The 1.8 with a tune will be a fun car. I test drove a stock one and really enjoyed it. Good amount of power. Steering and brakes were good too.

HighQuality_H20

Passed Driver's Ed
If it were me, i would trade a high mileage bmw.

Even if i was filthy rich, i would trade a high mileage bmw.

If i were in your shoes i would shop for a new GTI or a new Golf.

They got 72k bumper to bumper warranty.