GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

curious real HP

maic

Passed Driver's Ed
Just curious on HP achieved after some aftermarket installed. Never have dyno the car ( not one in my area ). Car has 220hp (as per VW) and installed APR intake, Unitronic stage 1+ ECU, TCU, Unitronic downpipe, turbo inlet elbow & AWE touring exhaust. Do you think 300 real HP was achieved on these modifications? Bet most of you have a similar mods. Still thinking of intercooler upgrade, but just can't afford for the big turbo.

pieguy

Ready to race!
If you're running 91 or 93, I don't think 300 whp is realistic. You'd need e50ish for that. I'd assume you're in the 275whp range considering unitronic is a bit of a more conservative tune.

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
Go stage 2 and if you need more power but want to continue on regular gas, just stack a JB4

Hambone

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2020 TR GTI SE
Stage 1+ Unitronic with FBO will be between 260 and 270 whp. Stage 2 gets you to about 300 and change.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
You'll make 300whp with stage 2 software, which you should be using with your mods.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Someone tell me how you measure horsepower.

Chain your car to some horses and pull in opposite directions.

The number of horses it takes to overpower your car is your horsepower.

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Chain your car to some horses and pull in opposite directions.

The number of horses it takes to overpower your car is your horsepower.

Well you got to give them a minute to work, because horsepower is the amount of work a horse can do in a minute, not at the current point in time :)

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Well you got to give them a minute to work, because horsepower is the amount of work a horse can do in a minute, not at the current point in time :)

True...that's more a measure of horsetorque.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Someone tell me how you measure horsepower.

If you want a serious answer - it's the rate of work that can be done. Depending on the Dyno type, they either measure the electric power output (with a correction factor for electrical efficiency) or the rate of change on the speed of a weighted roller. Both give you instantaneous HP. The RPM is used to calculate torque. It's actually opposite of what most people think. You'd need a very high tech strain gauge to measure actual torque and even then it would be dicey on a dynamic system.

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
maic what's your zip code?! There's got to be a dyno within a few hours??

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
If you want a serious answer - it's the rate of work that can be done. Depending on the Dyno type, they either measure the electric power output (with a correction factor for electrical efficiency) or the rate of change on the speed of a weighted roller. Both give you instantaneous HP. The RPM is used to calculate torque. It's actually opposite of what most people think. You'd need a very high tech strain gauge to measure actual torque and even then it would be dicey on a dynamic system.

Really? So you're saying horsepower is not merely a calculated derivative from torque?

Juggar

Ready to race!
Dude needs to go stage 2 Uni..... truth be told, I came from a Neuspeed @ +7 (sold it) and flashed Uni Stage 1+, I was quite disappointed. Stage 2, now thats what I was looking for!

There a BIG difference between Stage 1+ and Stage 2 Uni. Especially down low, lot more torque for daily driving. Its really nice.

I have very similar mods to OP and I would like to have mine Dyno'd. I would imagine around 310 WHP.

APR has proven their intake adds power on their stage 1, so even 315 WHP would not surprise me.

Last edited:

95gto

Go Kart Newbie
Really? So you're saying horsepower is not merely a calculated derivative from torque?

I believe he is saying that measuring torque directly is dicey, however measuring another component in the Torque/HP relationship allows you to then calculate torque based on the other measurement. It's not about which comes first, it's about what can you accurately measure.