GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Scott's rareboi EQT Vortex Build

HuangMoney

Go Kart Newbie
(Thanks Jay745 for changing the IS38 in my title to EQT Vortex LMAO)
Hey guys, I'm starting this journal just to keep track of what has been done, and what is going to be done.

I saw my car up for sale on 8/9/2018 on cargurus at VW of Fairfax, a 2016 GTI S 2 door 6MT with lighting package and performance package with 25k miles, CPO. On 8/11/2018 I drove 3 and a half hours and got the car, took about 5 hours to talk to finance and my dad was getting pissed, but it was well worth it in the end.

It was taken care of by the previous owner very well, no scratches or anything, the PO traded it in for a new Golf R and moved to California to work for Google.

First manual car, by the way. The ride home was definitely interesting, in the rain, with a LOT of traffic crossing the Maryland border. I was a valet for half a year, and that was all my experience with stick shift.

Current mods:

Exterior:
Black front and rear emblem
Black Vinyl eyelids
Klii Motorwerkes color matched rear emblem vinyl
Badgeskinz Steering wheel red GTI/red line, and black side blades
Stickers!!!
OEM MK7.5 European tail lights with ZERO815's harness (Thanks!) with light lamin-x tint
Light lamin-x tint on rear reflectors
35% tint all around, 70% windshield

Engine:
EQT Vortex tune
CTS Turbo Downpipe
EQT Vortex Turbo/Oversized Muffler Delete/Silicone Hoses
Autotech HPFP Internals (Thanks Joel!)
Mamba IS38 Actuator (Thanks MK717!)
APR Cold air intake
MST Performance Hybrid turbo inlet pipe+Silicon inlet hose
CTS Turbo Front Mount Intercooler
Sachs SRE 4 puck racing clutch and Pressure Plate (retain DMFW)
iAbed Rear Main Seal

Suspension/Handling
KW V3 Coilovers
Whiteline adjustable front sway bar end links
Whiteline adjustable rear sway bar end links
Whiteline front sway bar set to least stiff setting
Whiteline rear sway bar set to most stiff setting
VWR Full dogbone and puck replacement

Interior
ECS Adjustable Clutch stop
OEM Euro/Audi Short Shifter
Euro Impulse Weighted Shift Knob
Uniden R7 Long range radar/laser detector
Uniden Hardwire kit

VAGCOM:
Turned off North American light restrictions (Rest of world headlight functions)
Convenience Open and Close windows on keyfob (no sunroof because weight reduction lol)
Foglights turn on with high beams
Needle Sweep/Staging
Full brightness DRLs with lights on
Display how many gallons to fill up to increase my gas bill dread

Waiting to get installed:
BFI Stage 1 Engine/Trans mounts uninstalled, diagnosing some knock.
iPE Catted downpipe

In limbo, waiting to get refinished:
BBS RG-R 18x8 ET35
Planned for the future:
42dd O2 spacer ASAP
Solid shifter bushings
Rear diffuser and maybe a lip
W/M injection???
so much for the title of my build lmao. I was going to go with IS38, returned that, went to look for an IHX475, lost the bid on ebay and bought an EQT Vortex.

8/9/18
No front plate, never will have one. Super clean

8/12/18
I plugged in my Vagcom and started doing some tweaks, to my surprise I found that the previous owner did a LOT of them already, wonder what else he has going on in this car, it drives phenomenally. He had the oil temp in the MFD, but no rolling the windows up and down on the key fob, really weird.

8/18/18
I found myself not driving stick as great as I would. I bought an ECS adjustable clutch stop, loaded some gift cards too, to get free shipping.

8/22/18
First thing I bought was an accessport. I knew I was going to be going custom tune, and a great deal popped up and I snagged it immediately. Holding off on this until I get my upgraded clutch, so I don't burn the flywheel. For reference, sold my mk6 one a few days earlier, and came out on top with this deal.

8/30/18
Got a good deal on an IE open intake on eBay, scooped it up. Installed it a couple days alter when it came in. Sounds great, no issues except my friend panicked when I asked him to take the coolant hose off for the relocation and he took both off and got coolant everywhere. It came off of someones car, so everything was put together, and there was reflective gold foil wrap on the intake too! pretty cool.

9/06/18
Bought gloss black front and rear emblems off of bl33dblue21, they wouldn't fit on his MK7.5. I put them on, and honestly they didn't look right, so I used some vinyl and cutting tape I had leftover from doing eyelids on my mk6, and did eyelids on my mk7. Made the gloss black front emblem a bit better.

9/07/18ish
Saw a custom built under trunk box with a 12" sub, West Coast Customs 1500W amp, and LC2i for sale by BxGTI, scooped it up very quickly later that week. Installed that in my car with my friend, and it really completed the stock sound system, no Dynaudio or Fender or whatever people are using.

9/17/18
Put on the Klii Motorwerkes color matched rear emblem full, put it over the second part of the VW logo insert and used an x-acto knife to make it fit perfectly. Really happy, makes the black badges look a lot better.

9/19/18
Talked to Billy Amberg from A2B Motorsports about the possibility of an IS38 build! Was quickly convinced to start on the build. Ordered a Sachs Racing 4 puck clutch and iAbed billet rear main seal from him same day. I only met him and his ridiculously fast Golf R because I asked around for carbon cleaning prices on facebook for my mk6, and he offered to do it.

9/21/18
IS38 Rev H is back in stock on FCP Euro, quickly ordered it for its lifetime warranty and my experience with them in the past with suspension mounts and bearings on my mk6.

9/27/18
15% off anything on eBay!!! took advantage of this deal by buying my parts on eBay from vendors who price matched their website, and used the 15% code.
Ordered a CTS Catted downpipe, and CTS FMIC (octoberfest discounted) with an extra 15% off, was planning on buying all my parts from Billy, but the deal was too good to pass up, and saved a couple hundred.

10/7/18
first update post in comments.
I had Billy Amberg at A2B Motorsports up in Lake Hopatcong, NJ install my CTS front mount intercooler, iAbed rear main seal, and a Sachs SRE 4 puck racing clutch, and pressure plate. For anyone who isn't familiar he's a master tech/shop foreman for a VW dealership and has built one serious Golf R. My car is a pp GTI so it was a more difficult install but he still managed to do everything very quickly, picked it up in a couple hours, the clutch feels great. I have had a manual car for a little less than 50 days and I still didn't stall or burn the "racing clutch" driving it home and then to work. It takes more revs to get going and the biting point was described as an on off switch, which is sorta true but I do not see a problem dailying this as I do not live in the city. Gear shifts are great as it bites hard and there is no delay in pedal (maybe deleting the clutch delay valve will make it even better). Still learning, but reverse is a little iffy, i'm used to just riding the clutch the couple seconds I am in reverse, but with this clutch you aren't supposed to. Still, this is not as bad as people describe, pedal is 100% stiffer as i'm breaking it in, but it is definitely not a problem whatsoever. Maybe its because i'm 240 lbs and I go to the gym. Maybe its the clutch stop I have, but it still is great. Good for 600 lbft, so I am excited and not nervous. Definitely go to him to build your car, he will be straightforward and get everything right.

10/25/18
My clutch has been broken in, it drives pretty easily, stock clutch definitely felt like cake compared to this but it's still not difficult to drive. And it grabs amazingly.
I loaded on Cobb's OTS Stage 1+, and to my pleasant surprise the car is totally different with it on, much faster. I can't imagine what the Vortex turbo will be like. I assume the CTS intercooler, and the IE Intake are doing a little to help the power get delivered. I might need to turn off the torque limiter, no wheelspin whatsoever if I floor it in first or second.
The EQT Vortex full turbo kit comes in on friday, gonna open that up, but it will be installed in probably 3 weeks or a month. Doesn't come with a wastegate actuator, so Billy ordered an IS38 one, not going to reuse the IS20 actuator. It comes with all the gaskets and o rings and such, which is nice. The IHX475 does not come with O rings.

1/23/19
Little update here. Turbo going in on saturday most likely, will explain everything on saturday. Car now has an audi short shifter, ei shift knob, is running pennzoil euro 0w40, has brisk silvers waiting too, has tints all around and DeAutoLed color changing footwells lol. HPFP, and IS38 actuator on their way

Why its a rareboi at least in my eyes:
2016 was the last year the performance package was offered before being integrated into the SE and Autobahn trim
2017 was the last year to get a 2 door, and ONLY on S and not a sport if I recall correctly
2 door S with LP and PP had to be special ordered for 2016 because base models rarely came with the two packages especially on 2 door

Thanks for reading. More mods to come. I also have no idea where I got the money to do all this in such a short amount of time lol, I'm 23 and have my first big boy job paying all my expenses.

Last edited:

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
congrats on the unicorn. Look forward to pictures. As a heads up, oil temp in the MFD was a default option for the gti as far as i know. I know i didn't have to modify settings to set oil temp in my car (a 2015 s bought new way back). Sounds like this will be an exciting build to follow. Good luck with the mods.

HuangMoney

Go Kart Newbie
congrats on the unicorn. Look forward to pictures. As a heads up, oil temp in the MFD was a default option for the gti as far as i know. I know i didn't have to modify settings to set oil temp in my car (a 2015 s bought new way back). Sounds like this will be an exciting build to follow. Good luck with the mods.

And oh...lol. I read online that it wasn't enabled by default, but that probably was for some other cars like regular golfs

Maybe it was stock then! oops.

HuangMoney

Go Kart Newbie
Oh hey our cars are identical besides you having 2 less doors :D

How audible is the IE open intake? Kinda want to pick one up.

Hahaha its really really nice. Very loud, not as loud as my friend's 1.4T for whatever reason but his is louder than any open intake I've ever heard on a VW. the intake on the gti is not an obnoxious sound either, very clean and precise, with a good pshh sound between shifts, his kinda...rumbles a lot

Last edited:

HuangMoney

Go Kart Newbie
Last night I had Billy Amberg at A2B Motorsports up in Lake Hopatcong, NJ install my CTS front mount intercooler, iAbed rear main seal, and a Sachs SRE 4 puck racing clutch, and pressure plate. For anyone who isn't familiar he's a master tech/shop foreman for a VW dealership and has built one serious Golf R. My car is a pp GTI so it was a more difficult install but he still managed to do everything very quickly, picked it up in a couple hours, the clutch feels great. I have had a manual car for a little less than 50 days and I still didn't stall or burn the "racing clutch" driving it home and then to work. It takes more revs to get going and the biting point was described as an on off switch, which is sorta true but I do not see a problem dailying this as I do not live in the city. Gear shifts are great as it bites hard and there is no delay in pedal (maybe deleting the clutch delay valve will make it even better). Still learning, but reverse is a little iffy, i'm used to just riding the clutch the couple seconds I am in reverse, but with this clutch you aren't supposed to. Still, this is not as bad as people describe, pedal is 100% stiffer as i'm breaking it in, but it is definitely not a problem whatsoever. Maybe its because i'm 240 lbs and I go to the gym. Maybe its the clutch stop I have, but it still is great. Good for 600 lbft, so I am excited and not nervous.
I definitely recommend Billy. He won't beat around the bush with setups that will fail, and he will get you sorted out and happy.

Last edited:

HuangMoney

Go Kart Newbie
Today was a do or die moment. I've decided to go with an EQT Fujin Vortex turbo over the IS38 due to the plain fact that I do not trust the IS38 will be reliable enough for the power I want to make. I also found that their presale with that much stuff included for 450whp on pump gas was a really good deal.

Today, I filed for a return of my IS38 rev H from FCP Euro (still 10/10 service), and I bought an EQT Fujin Vortex with the turbo muffler delete, oversized silicone hoses, and pipe. It includes the gaskets O rings and studs for install which was really nice. Shipping from Cali to NJ was 80 bucks, but it was worth it. The clutch can handle significantly over IS38 power, so the supporting mods are allowing me to make this decision. Of course, still going with 5150 tuning for the tune, and I will be getting an autotech HPFP down the line. Total spent on this car is now over $5300, but itll be well worth it.

Last edited:

eventhorizon

Go Kart Champion
Today was a do or die moment. I've decided to go with an EQT Fujin Vortex turbo over the IS38 due to the plain fact that I do not trust the IS38 will be reliable enough for the power I want to make. I also found that their presale with that much stuff included for 450whp on pump gas was a really good deal.

Today, I filed for a return of my IS38 rev H from FCP Euro (still 10/10 service), and I bought an EQT Fujin Vortex with the turbo muffler delete, oversized silicone hoses, and pipe. It includes the gaskets O rings and studs for install which was really nice. Shipping from Cali to NJ was 80 bucks, but it was worth it. The clutch can handle significantly over IS38 power, so the supporting mods are allowing me to make this decision. Of course, still going with 5150 tuning for the tune, and I will be getting an autotech HPFP down the line. Total spent on this car is now over $5300, but itll be well worth it.

Please keep us posted~! Never seen anyone run this kit~! :)

HuangMoney

Go Kart Newbie
Please keep us posted~! Never seen anyone run this kit~! :)

Definitely! :) I'm going to be transparent because i'm not a grudge racer, and i'm still young and impressionable.
I know I keep saying this but itll be a few weeks before it goes on and gets tuned. I'm super over my budget by jumping ship hahaha. Maybe next week i'll just be like wait lets throw an ims850 on there

But i'm sure more mods will come in the meantime.

eventhorizon

Go Kart Champion
Definitely! :) I'm going to be transparent because i'm not a grudge racer, and i'm still young and impressionable.
I know I keep saying this but itll be a few weeks before it goes on and gets tuned. I'm super over my budget by jumping ship hahaha. Maybe next week i'll just be like wait lets throw an ims850 on there

But i'm sure more mods will come in the meantime.

I personally believe an is38 will be more reliable with the right tune. Not sure the EQT Fujin Vortex will have the same reliability. :) haha, good luck man!

HuangMoney

Go Kart Newbie
I personally believe an is38 will be more reliable with the right tune. Not sure the EQT Fujin Vortex will have the same reliability. :) haha, good luck man!

Thank you :)
I'm not going to be pushing 500 WHP on the vortex...at least just yet. its still my daily :p

I will be running a reliable and fun amount of boost, while still being able to eat M3s up

HuangMoney

Go Kart Newbie
Last night I installed the Euro short shifter into my car, my friend got it for me as a birthday gift, and I got the shifter alignment pin from Dieselgeek and got to work.

Everything went smoothly, I have the IE intake so I loosened a clamp and pulled it off to access the shifter. Pushed the clip off the up and down, and popped it off, took off the white plastic clip for the side to side and loosened the nut holding the shifter down.

Taking the shifter off, was a fucking bitch and a half. I hammered it for a while with the nut on, I twisted and pulled, and eventually it came off.
You won't know when you're close to it coming off, it will just come off like nothing happened.

Oh, and what made the install take about 3 hours was us struggling with the shifter, taking the nut on and off to pry and to hammer, and it was in the rain in the dark. My friend came to help and he dropped both my 13mm and the shifter retaining nut into the engine bay, and I had to knock on the underpanel, hammer at the engine, he was kicking the bumper everything to try to find the nut. I rolled the car back, started it, everything. Eventually he found it under the car after we did all that, it had finally fallen out jesus christ. He's really bad with dropping things into the engine bay, so it's nothing new except this time I really needed this part to actually move the car anywhere. Guys, be careful.

Installed the new one no problem, made sure the trans was locked and got the cables settled. Perfect on the first try.

It feels great, it may just be that the up and down bushing was worn after about 3 years and 31k miles, but it feels tight, like it lops into gear, but not notchy at all. The reduction in travel feels natural, and how it should've been from factory. OEM, so I know the shifter won't mess anything up like other aftermarket ones might with shift forks or the splines not being perfect.

Not a huge amount of reduction, but its still great. Honestly, I would probably like 5% less in shifter movement, but thats literally just nitpicking it. Any shorter, and it doesn't feel like a shifter it'd just feel like a little on off switch between gears. It gives a much more satisfying feel to get into gear than the stock shifter, it makes the stock shifter feel like it was straining to travel so much. Very very happy, only 56 bucks shipped. Would recommend.

HuangMoney

Go Kart Newbie
1/23/19

Installed my Euro Impulse shift knob to compliment the oem euro short shifter, spent about 15 minutes taking the old knob out and 30 making the logo and the stripes line up on the shifter perfectly...well, im off 2 degrees but I'll fix it later. Really like it a lot.

This weekend I should be getting the eqt vortex put in, I was stuck in limbo for a month and a half because I got a different tune which never arrived. Contacted Ed at EQT and my base tune was here in 30 hours!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I had to code oil temp in mfd for my '17 S.

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
A whole thread of build and you reply to that? Especially because that negates the context of which he was mentioning oil temp in MFD which was that perhaps the PO had done it (but not the comfort windows?) leading me to suggest that likely his gti was not touched by the PO. But cool, glad you coded in oil temp on your 17.