GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Should I?

Abilor

Passed Driver's Ed
Thank you to all who responded.

Our other vehicle is a 2013 Beetle Convert w/2.0 Turbo, btw.

Surprisingly, we've been actually looking at an Audi RS 3.

I was about to say, sounds like you might be in RS3/RS5 territory, sir... I was thinking about RS3 after my Boss 302 Mustang, but opted for my first love of Hot Hatches instead.

Bdurrell

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 Z06
Went to Audi again. They offered this to me for a test drive, an RS5. We could buy TWO Golf Rs for $81,000....

Last edited:

Bdurrell

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 Z06
This.....

Attachments

• image-7.jpg
    image-7.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 376

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
Used S6 or S7, you'll thank me later.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Went to Audi again. They offered this to me for a test drive, an RS5. We could buy TWO Golf Rs for $81,000....

You took a bath trading two new cars and now you're concerned about cost? I was going to say it's your money, do whatever makes you happy, but since you have a family I hope one of you stands to inherit a couple of million.

Anyway, my vote is also for the TTRS, but you'll pay MSRP at the least, and if you think the RS5 is expensive...

https://www.caranddriver.com/audi/tt-rs

Last edited:

RennWerks

Go Kart Newbie
The thought that came to mind when I was considering your history of buying & selling cars is, so far you've been fortunate in that you've chosen cars that have some reasonable resale value. They are as different as chalk and cheese, btw, but they each have a following that makes them re-saleable. The TTRS, on the other hand, will depreciate like a stone. And the RS5 that's caught your fancy? No one will touch it.

Why, you ask? This is the paradox of obscure, expensive cars. Those who can afford to buy them new won't walk across the street to buy one used, regardless of the price. First, they don't have to, and more importantly, they don't buy "used" cars, period. So the cars plummet in value. Consequently, if for example, you succumb to the siren song of the RS5, plan on taking it to the grave.

Bdurrell

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 Z06
But you are the one who buys a Corvette, then an R, then a Corvette.
$81,000 should be peanuts. Atleast for a year.......until next car.

So how does the Audi compare to the Corvette?

I refused the offer to drive the RS5, so I cannot comment or compare.

Do not make the assumption that I ever actually completely pay through to the end of a loan!

I just lose money in trading up for the next new vehicle. The new car habit is like crack to me.....probably should seek help from "cars anonymous"....

The Fed

Old Guys Rule

Do not make the assumption that I ever actually completely pay through to the end of a loan!

I just lose money in trading up for the next new vehicle. The new car habit is like crack to me.....probably should seek help from "cars anonymous"....

Sandman is a pretty smart guy. I doubt he ever assumed that. Your family obviously has the means to make the payments, but unless you have a large income that is guaranteed for life I'd take it easy. I bought a lot of new cars when I was young - 'Vette, Trans Am, Z-28, Mazda turbo, etc. I paid cash and never worried about the cost. Then I grew up. :)

I paid five times more for my new R than my new 'Vette, so that will give you an idea how long ago that was. And that was when money was worth something.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie

Bdurrell,

I know each of us is different and how I look at the World does not mean I am right. I also know each of us lives our own lives. That said, how you handle your business is your choice. I know some like to own a car a short time, then buy another. I am sure some can do this and make money or break even, but I know if I did it I would lose thousands on each car. That is my luck.

My suggestions are based on my experiences.
I do not crave a Corvette. Nice car and new ones are super car performance but 2 seats is not for me even though it is just my Wife and I. The R would be a nice car and will be on the list in future. The only issue I have with it is I do not like gloss interior and gloss exterior which the GTI has more than I want. If future R's had a treatment like the RS line then that would be something. Add the 5 cylinder and Wow, I would be in.

It sounds like you like 2 door sporty but also want the room of the 4 door hatch.
Audi makes a hatch but not as sport as a Corvette and might not be as much as the R. The earlier post talking about resale value hit it on the head. The Audi's likely will not retain value as the USA is not an Audi lover. So, buying an Audi to only keep a year is not a good option unless you buy an older one maybe a prior generation RS. I am not sure what car to suggest for you. Lease one but they are normally longer than a year. Rent one but that is for a week or two.
I like the TT RS because it is on the edge of super car but in USA is rare. (Just need better wheels that a set of OZ'S would fix.

Where I live the GTI is rare, one reason I wanted it. Not just another Mustang.
With the work on my car I would hate to sell it as even a stock MK8 might not be as much fun and then I have to start over.

I assumed you flipped loans. I assume this is not a good money move as it would not be for me. A good money move for me is my 22 year old truck. Paid for many times over.

Hope you find what makes you happy.
Maybe a GT350. Fast and resale should remain good in USA.

Last edited: