GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Stage 1 high torque UPDATE after 18,000 miles

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
This is for those looking at upgrading to an APR Stage 1. I thought it may be useful to show one person's results after a few miles. I hope to do this again after 30K miles on the upgrade.

It references an APR Stage 1 high torque, 93 Octane that was installed at 9,000 miles on my 2017 R. The car is DSG, no other mods other than Ferodo DS2500 pads, high temp fluid, and MPS4's. It now has 27,000 miles and I could not be happier.

Brief summary:

1) Car pulls like stink, especially mid to high rev range. Top end is transformed.

2) MPG is unchanged and daily driving is as quiet/reliable/smooth as dead stock. We, as many others, had a long frigid winter and cold starts after long layovers were great.

3) I have a few track days with the R stock and number of track days on the tuned car, and the tune is most noticeable coming out of turns. The car hooks up and goes. Longer straights are now a joy.
You won't be keeping up with the newer hot Vettes or big stuff, but it totally holds its own. MUCH more enjoyable than stock on track.

4) On the street, passing slow vehicles/trucks and especially conga lines is a breeze.

5) Oil temps are near stock (all cooling is stock) and never had anywhere near an issue even with 92 degree temps on track.

I've owned and tracked cars for probably longer than some on this list have been alive, and other than great tires, this is the best $700+ I have ever spent on a car.

Last edited:

Bdurrell

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 Z06
Totally agree. I did that with about 4,000 miles on the clock on my old 2017 Golf R also. Additionally , I did the DSG stage 1 tune also. No stock 5.0 Mustang could out accelerate this car and I totally surprised a Chrysler 300 SRT on an on ramp, leaving him in the dust all the way up to 120 mph at which point I slow down in merged at 70 onto the Interstate.

It's so much fun to see the look on those other people's faces when you wave bye-bye and they can't keep up to the little 4 cyl Golf. At 68 years old, I can't imagine anything else that used to put
a smile on my face as much as this car did!

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
This is for those looking at upgrading to an APR Stage 1. I thought it may be useful to show one person's results after a few miles. I hope to do this again after 30K miles on the upgrade.

It references an APR Stage 1 high torque, 93 Octane that was installed at 9,000 miles on my 2017 R. The car now has 27,000 miles and I could not be happier.

Brief summary:

1) Car pulls like stink, especially mid to high rev range. Top end is transformed.

2) MPG is unchanged and daily driving is as quiet/reliable/smooth as dead stock. We, as many others, had a long frigid winter and cold starts after long layovers were great.

3) I have a few track days with the R stock and number of track days on the tuned car, and the tune is most noticeable coming out of turns. The car hooks up and goes. Longer straights are now a joy.
You won't be keeping up with the newer hot Vettes or big stuff, but it totally holds its own. MUCH more enjoyable than stock on track.

4) On the street, passing slow vehicles/trucks and especially conga lines is a breeze.

5) Oil temps are near stock (all cooling is stock) and never had anywhere near an issue even with 92 degree temps on track.

I've owned and tracked cars for probably longer than some on this list have been alive, and other than great tires, this is the best $700+ I have ever spent on a car.

I'd get a DSG tune, or you may find yourself spending $2,500 to $4,500 for a clutch pack and basket, or $10,000 for a complete transmission. That $700 could turn out to be the worst $700 you ever spent.

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
I'd get a DSG tune, or you may find yourself spending $2,500 to $4,500 for a clutch pack and basket, or $10,000 for a complete transmission. That $700 could turn out to be the worst $700 you ever spent.

Understand the concern, but I researched this quite a bit. I checked multiple sources including my shop who I really trust and APR and all said no need for a DSG tune with stage 1.

VL3X

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
Understand the concern, but I researched this quite a bit. I checked multiple sources including my shop who I really trust and APR and all said no need for a DSG tune with stage 1.

I've found the same with my research (GTI specific though). I plan to do the APR high torque stage 1, 93 octane tune soon and I just can't justify spending near $600-700 on a TCU tune. Maybe if it were an extra 2 or 300. Thanks fore the review though.. I've tracked my GTI in stock form at NJMP and I can't wait to get back up there with better tires and a tune!

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
I won't say I told you so. Why didn't you all at least buy APR Plus?

The APR Plus is a different tune. More money / less power than a Stage 1 high torque. APR Plus is a mild tune with an upcharge for private insurance to cover the "warranty". Nothing wrong with that. It is just not what I wanted.

Plus, as I mentioned, I did a ton of research and am very comfortable with the Stage 1 and no DSG tune. Every performance upgrade comes with some amount of risk. As long as you do your homework you can make an educated decision regarding what works best for you. I am really, really happy that I went with the Stage 1. I posted this thread to add more real world information for those thinking about it.

badger91

Passed Driver's Ed

I agree with you Fed. While the DSG can likely handle the power, who knows what the long term effects will be on the clutch packs without the increased clamping force of the DSG tune. Plus our stock DSG shift points suck so it’s a no brainer getting the ECU/TCU tune right away. [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I totally agree on the shift points. My biggest gripe is when you toggle from S to D it sometimes takes a few seconds to "settle down" and go back to the higher gears once you let off the gas. It should only take one second.

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
I totally agree on the shift points. My biggest gripe is when you toggle from S to D it sometimes takes a few seconds to "settle down" and go back to the higher gears once you let off the gas. It should only take one second.

Does the TCU tune retain the "S" feel? i.e. holding gears longer than necessary and waiting to shift. I know some people hate it but i absolutely love it.

Or is it mostly just changing "D" to be more aggressive?

Bdurrell

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 Z06
Does the TCU tune retain the "S" feel? i.e. holding gears longer than necessary and waiting to shift. I know some people hate it but i absolutely love it.

Or is it mostly just changing "D" to be more aggressive?

I had the DSG tune along with the 93 octane, high torque ECM tune.
Definitely holds shift points longer and shifts quicker

Another neat thing about the transmission tune is that it has three different RPM points which you can launch the car depending on how far you push the pedal down really cool.

Get it.......it certainly doesn't hurt and certainly helps..

NCM

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 Golf R

However a TCU tune also fixes much of the unpleasant behavior of VW's stock DSG programming, such as D mode's rush to engage 6th gear even at low road speeds, and its reluctance to downshift for slow turns.

Well worth the money.

Neil

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
However a TCU tune also fixes much of the unpleasant behavior of VW's stock DSG programming, such as D mode's rush to engage 6th gear even at low road speeds, and its reluctance to downshift for slow turns.

Well worth the money.

Neil

Good point. I totally understand those who enjoy the differences of the TCU tune, and for those it is well worth it. I was just pointing out that I have found the vast majority of people in the know (professionals who work on this stuff) say it is not needed for any reliability issues with a Stage 1.

I don't find the present TCU tune an issue with my day to day driving. I track the car and shift in manual for that, so it's fine there as well. If it was free, I'd do it tomorrow. In my hierarchy of spends I think the next change will be an adjustable stiffer rear sway bar to help turn in on track. Down the road a TCU tune is not out of the question, it just won't be due to a reliability worry.

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
I originally did the TCU tune with Stage 1 (high torque file).
It transformed the shift points and behavior dramatically.

Going to Stage 2 was WILD!!!

My car is an absolute blast to drive slow or fast.

Ianb

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Edition 30 Golf GTI
I originally did the TCU tune with Stage 1 (high torque file).
It transformed the shift points and behavior dramatically.

Going to Stage 2 was WILD!!!

My car is an absolute blast to drive slow or fast.

Stage 2 "WILD" ? Uh??