GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hot hatch offered w/ DSG?

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
What other ''hot hatch'' is offered with a DSG?
(GTI and R excluded)

The only other one that comes to mind is the A45 AMG which isn't offered in North America. It's known as the CLA45 AMG (sedan version only). Its also double the price $$$ of the GTI lol.

Other than that, most of the competitors are 6 speed manual versions... correct?

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Considering the times the '18 mustang is putting down with a ZF 10 speed, the DSG may be less important than we thought.

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
Considering the times the '18 mustang is putting down with a ZF 10 speed, the DSG may be less important than we thought.

Ya I gotta give it to that ZF 8 or 10 speed auto. It's pretty fast!

However, when comparing the hot hatch segment, I still think a tuned GTI / R have the edge over the competition because of the DSG (potential of TCU tune to make it even better)

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Ya I gotta give it to that ZF 8 or 10 speed auto. It's pretty fast!

However, when comparing the hot hatch segment, I still think a tuned GTI / R have the edge over the competition because of the DSG (potential of TCU tune to make it even better)

I don't disagree. I wish Audi hadn't stopped selling the A3 hatch. Not like I would have paid for one over a GTI anyways but still.

wlfpck

Ready to race!
This is really semantics... but DSG is a VW's version of a DCT (dual clutch transmission).

For instance PDK is Porsche's DCT.

On that note... to answer your question...

The CLA45 and the Veloster Turbo come with a DCT.

If you're looking for automatic in general...

You have the WRX which has a CVT. Other than that... the focus ST/RS, fiesta ST, Civic Si, etc. are all manual only.

tknj99

Ready to race!
I think the pendulum has been swinging towards automated quick shifting and intelligent automatics for quite some time but at some point when cars become completely devoid of soul due to automation, people will be wishing there was such thing as a manual option.

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
This is really semantics... but DSG is a VW's version of a DCT (dual clutch transmission).

For instance PDK is Porsche's DCT.

On that note... to answer your question...

The CLA45 and the Veloster Turbo come with a DCT.

If you're looking for automatic in general...

You have the WRX which has a CVT. Other than that... the focus ST/RS, fiesta ST, Civic Si, etc. are all manual only.

Yep - fully aware that the DSG is the ''DCT'' version for Audi/VW. Other manufactures have their own versions of ''DCT''

The CLA45 isn't a ''hot hatch''.
I didn't know that the Veloster Turbo had a DCT transmission. Thanks!
The GTI / Competition is the Veloster N for 2019, however, it only comes in a 6 speed stick.

Very limited ''DCT'' options in the hot hatch segment.

I think the pendulum has been swinging towards automated quick shifting and intelligent automatics for quite some time but at some point when cars become completely devoid of soul due to automation, people will be wishing there was such thing as a manual option.

Agreed! However, for family and wifey use, I find the whole hot hatch with a DCT option very appealing. Just looking at other options for 2nd car

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Yep - fully aware that the DSG is the ''DCT'' version for Audi/VW. Other manufactures have their own versions of ''DCT''

The CLA45 isn't a ''hot hatch''.
I didn't know that the Veloster Turbo had a DCT transmission. Thanks!
The GTI / Competition is the Veloster N for 2019, however, it only comes in a 6 speed stick.

Very limited ''DCT'' options in the hot hatch segment.

Agreed! However, for family and wifey use, I find the whole hot hatch with a DCT option very appealing. Just looking at other options for 2nd car

You need an R. You're wife needs your GTI.

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
You need an R. You're wife needs your GTI.

Yes this is true. Was looking at other options in this segment ...

The only problem is from a roll, currently my GTI would be much faster than an R! I'd have to ''re-mod'' the R (DP, Tune, IC, Intake etc.)

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie

The only problem is from a roll, currently my GTI would be much faster than an R! I'd have to ''re-mod'' the R (DP, Tune, IC, Intake etc.)

Just gives you a goal to shoot for, beating your wife. Never thought I'd say that's a good goal.

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
Just gives you a goal to shoot for, beating your wife. Never thought I'd say that's a good goal.

lol true!

what I find odd is that the GTI / R are the only affordable options in the hot hatches with a ''DCT'' option.

Luchos

Go Kart Champion

Not with an is20

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie

Ya the CLA45 AMG and GLA45 AMG are competitors to the R but again the price is way more.

A mint condition GLA/CLA45 in Canada is mid 50's to 60K $

Not with an is20

I'd have to disagree. In this current situation, it would be a stage2 tuned IS20 vs a stock R. The R would get walked from a roll.

This is beyond the point, BUT ... even a stage2 R vs stage2 GTI from a roll is a close race. The R's biggest advantage is from a dig and it gets out the whole like a motha F!