GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Who has had their warranty claimed denied because of their tune / TD1 Code?

eurojulien

Go read some more threads. Blown motors and turbos came out of owners pockets due to tunes and are documented here.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Those sound like extreme cases. You won't blow an EA888 gen 3 motor due to a tune. I heard some of the early '15 cars had improperly balanced turbos that were issue prone but in the grand scheme of things, these are statistical outliers.

When you read the forums people fear that a td1 code = nothing mechanical getting replaced. That doesn't seem true and so far no one has (yet) said otherwise.

eurojulien

Actually I forgot, I purchased a VW CPO Tiguan with TD1 code (flashed by previous owner). The car had a trans pan leak and they covered everything a few months after I bought it, no questions asked.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Actually I forgot, I purchased a VW CPO Tiguan with TD1 code (flashed by previous owner). The car had a trans pan leak and they covered everything a few months after I bought it, no questions asked.

That's definitely not the same thing as someone owning a new car that is flagged TD1 and trying to get warranty work done.

cb1111

People continue to be confused between "voided warranty" and "denial of warranty repair".

If a mod caused a failure - or contributed to that failure - then the dealership is under an obligation to deny warranty repairs for that failure.

For example, an ECU mod (causing a TD1 code) may cause a dealership to deny powertrain coverage - or some part of the powertrain.

Only when a car has been so heavily modded that it affects virtually all systems that the manufacturer (not the dealer) can "void" the warranty. This is not an easy step and usually involves the legal team from the manufacturer.

Other reasons for voiding a warranty include flooded cars and salvage or rebuilt titles. Mitsubishi voided the warranties of cars that were noted at a racetrack. There are of course other reasons as well.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie

TheDoc46

Ready to race!
Here's how i understand it. Dealer and mechanic want to get paid. So they all have their little ways of you getting covered. if they know a way to keep it away from the eyes of VWofA they will, HOWEVER any major repair, say a blown engine, VW is going to have to give pre-approval for the repair to be paid, and will ask for a copy of ODIS scan, and that's when you get denied. 90% of repairs do not require pre approval. They just go on the word of the dealer. 3rd parties, on the other hand, they don't have access to this, and have no idea what a td1 is. Its a numbers game for them.. out of the 20people that will buy insurance they may only have to pay out for 2 or 3 times. They're not going to send an inspector out. They're going to take the word of the mechanic or dealer that you've taken your car too.. They also know this and its therefore factored into the cost into the original cost of the warranty. They have covered themselves wherever possible in the contract wording, but how are they really going to find out ? What pay a specialized fleet of techs to go out on every repair? Maybe they will ask the diagnostics report, if its a really big pay out, they may send out someone to evaluate a really big pay out, but even then, unless you're modded to high heaven, they probably wouldn't have a clue what they're looking for, given the company also deals with plenty of other manufacturers. In their eyes its win some lose some, but 9 times out of 10 win some !

I spoke to a very reputable indy who was once a long time VW / Audi dealer mechanic about this, also my friend, who's a long time Nissan dealer mechanic.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
The sad thing about it is, a third party would be more likely to deny coverage or at least dig deeper upon seeing stuff like an aftermarket intake or slammed suspension than a downpipe or aftermarket turbo.

adam1991

Banned
All it takes is a post on a forum like this, something like "I'm on APR Stage 2, my whole motor blew, but Fidelity took care of it; that $2500 policy saved me $10,000 in repairs!" to make it visible enough that any insurance company would go all Subaru on things.

My advice: shaddup about things like that.

jcarl126

Ready to race!
Sometimes it's not worth their time and effort to go through 3rd party warranty companies so they won't even work on your car.

It's same as body shop guys taking shortcuts, and doing bare minimum because insurance payout is pretty bad(Which is why they sometimes add random repairs during claims)

?? wattttt.... i have been both a service writer and am now currently and estimator for collision repairs. insurance is PAID REPAIRS! They are shoe-ins. We loved aftermarket warranties and of course insurance companies. people dont want to pay for shit, so when you have to make one extra phone call to a 3rd party insurance company to have their repairs covered minus a smalllll deductible - fudge yea ill make that call every single time! cause i KNOW im getting paid if ai do!! If a repair job is big enough, both collision or warranty work, they WILL send adjustors out to check everything over and verify - so no, you really cant "bend them over" either. but the adjsutors arent going to know the factory turbo from an aftermarket, and it would have to be like a blown engine,or the SECOND time youre doing a high pressure fuel pump in under 20k miles, something of that sort so odds are you are most likely getting covered. do they ask if the car has been modified? yes. ummm we only know factory oem parts, i dunno what is in the Ecu, i dunno if that car came with a "sport" exhaust factory option or not. not my job. do i know personally? for sure, but technically we arent qualified to make that call.

MichaelAndrews

Passed Driver's Ed
Most of the time 3rd party warranties won't know about the tune unless the dealer flat out tells them, however if it's a larger claim in excess of $2k the companies usually send out an inspector to verify the claim.... so yeah if you blow your motor, your extended warranty will more than likely find out about your tune.
If you have a bad map sensor, they won't even ask

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Those sound like extreme cases. You won't blow an EA888 gen 3 motor due to a tune. I heard some of the early '15 cars had improperly balanced turbos that were issue prone but in the grand scheme of things, these are statistical outliers.

When you read the forums people fear that a td1 code = nothing mechanical getting replaced. That doesn't seem true and so far no one has (yet) said otherwise.

How many posts have you read? Like demi9od mentioned, search and read. For more than 5 seconds.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG

You stand a huge chance of having the factory warranty denied if you tune your car and something goes wrong with the drivetrain. If you're going to tune, I would have a reserve fund for repairs if you are one that has an issue down the road.

Some get lucky and not have it detected (small percentage), but computers and scanning is very sophisticated in today's cars, so the chance of getting caught with a tune is exponentially more likely than it was 10 years ago. The service advisor is not going to "ask" if you have a tune, they will simply know (not talking about piggybacks that are removed).

This has been documented on several forums over several years.

P.s. if you truly want to know, then get you read on and do some research. Don't come in here saying it's not true or you doubt it. Many of us have owned tuned VW's for years and been on the various boards or followed the boards for years. If you tune chances are you loose, simply be prepared to pay out of pocket.........end of story. If you don't believe it, then it's simple go get a tune.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
The sad thing about it is, a third party would be more likely to deny coverage or at least dig deeper upon seeing stuff like an aftermarket intake or slammed suspension than a downpipe or aftermarket turbo.

That’s exactly opposite of my personal experience.

Route 66 paid every warranty claim having to do with the engine without sending anyone out or requesting more info.

I had twin takes on my N54 and no issues, they paid out over $5k.