GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Who has had their warranty claimed denied because of their tune / TD1 Code?

TheDoc46

Ready to race!
Re blowing your engine. The powertrain covers you for 5yrs 60k, so no-one here with a mk7 is past the 5yrs anyway in that a 3rd party would kick in for such an extensive repair.. 3rd party is only going to say its for VW to repair under the powertrain warranty. Unless you're over the 5yrs 60k and maybe have a CPO up to 6yrs 72k. Where a very small number maybe approaching, then they may step up to the plate. So this is all a moot point anyway, if a 3rd party would cover. They'll fix a HPFP as that's not powertrain, or an ac compressor that's gone out.. and they'll do all that on the word of the dealer / indy.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
Actually I forgot, I purchased a VW CPO Tiguan with TD1 code (flashed by previous owner). The car had a trans pan leak and they covered everything a few months after I bought it, no questions asked.

VW CPO is not a warranty offered by VW itself, it’s a private label program with an aftermarket warranty company.

So it’s reasonable to assume a car could have had a TD1 code and be warrantied via CPO.

Besides a transmission pan wouldn’t be affected by a tune.

cb1111

Actually I forgot, I purchased a VW CPO Tiguan with TD1 code (flashed by previous owner). The car had a trans pan leak and they covered everything a few months after I bought it, no questions asked.
The car should not have been CPO'd.

More importantly, a TD1 doesn't "void" the warranty, it merely identifies a car as having had the ECU modified. The dealer/manufacturer must still determine what failures are attributable to that mod.

Like XM Rocks said, a tranny oil pan leak wouldn't be an issue.

eurojulien

Lets try this again

I'm not interested in speculation, this thread's purpose was to be data driven.

I'm not interested in the VW warranty process, there is a great stick for that

I'm not interested in aftermarket warranties, make your own thread

I'm not interested in the handful of motors that weren't covered because of TD1, I consider those statistical outliers.

:rolleyes:

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Lets try this again

I'm not interested in the handful of motors that weren't covered because of TD1, I consider those statistical outliers.

:rolleyes:

I'd consider that outcome to be the norm when TD1 flagged though.

I don't think you'll find anyone that had any issue getting their windows, radio, sunroof etc. fixed under warranty when TD1 flagged.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
@Julien

Bro, you yourself are speculating, so that makes absolutely no sense.

If you're not interested in the information than stop making suppositions which people feel compelled to refute.

Writing these two things together makes you seem daft: "This thread was to be data driven" and "I'm not interested in the handful of motors that weren't covered..."

jcarl126

Ready to race!
I'd consider that outcome to be the norm when TD1 flagged though.

I don't think you'll find anyone that had any issue getting their windows, radio, sunroof etc. fixed under warranty when TD1 flagged.

:cool:

if you flash your car and a wheel bearing goes out, they are going to replace the damn wheel bearing.

if you flash your car and an injector fails, you might get a new injector - depending on the total repair cost and if VW asks to have scan data sent in.

if you flash your car and a turbo takes a dump, you aint getting a new turbo on the house.

if you are looking for concrete threads about people bitching how their warranty was denied due to being TD1 flagged, well, you might be a little more hard pressed to find them. considering the number of mk7s on the road, the failure rate still seems pretty low, and some of those were early 2015s that were bone stock and had issues.

a poll might have been a better thread option "were you TD1 flagged and your repairs were denied? yes/no and why"

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
if you flash your car and a wheel bearing goes out, they are going to replace the damn wheel bearing.

if you flash your car and an injector fails, you might get a new injector - depending on the total repair cost and if VW asks to have scan data sent in.

if you flash your car and a turbo takes a dump, you aint getting a new turbo on the house.

Clearest and most succinct summary I've heard yet.

eurojulien

Sorry guys, let me level set where i'm coming from. I was a service writer for many years in several different European shops that carried UM/APR/C2/etc and had my own shop for a while that was an APR dealer. I even helped setup a few VW dealers who wanted to flash APR. I'm well aware of what *should* be affected and not be affected by TD1 code, what I was looking for is how widespread the warranty denials were. So far according to this thread it's zero.

In regards to calling the motors that aren't covered under warranty outliers, I guess I have to explain myself a bit better. I'm mainly looking for TD1 codes set off by over the counter tunes (apr/uni/etc) with OEM turbos (is20/is38), which is what I believe 99.9% of the market that have the TD1 flag. Hence why I call the blown motor outliers.

Now, if you're telling me EA888 GEN 3s are blowing up left and right because of over-the -counter tunes than my mistake, that is a huge surprise to me. I've built several turbo cars (Miata, 951, e90s, etc) and it typically takes a lot of stupid to blow a motor unless you're pushing it to the n'th degree or have crappy tune/hardware.

Last edited:

TheDoc46

Ready to race!
Sorry guys, let me level set where i'm coming from. I was a service writer for many years in several different European shops that carried UM/APR/C2/etc and had my own shop for a while that was an APR dealer. I even helped setup a few VW dealers who wanted to flash APR. I'm well aware of what *should* be affected and not be affected by TD1 code, what I was looking for is how widespread the warranty denials were. So far according to this thread it's zero.

In regards to calling the motors that aren't covered under warranty outliers, I guess I have to explain myself a bit better. I'm mainly looking for TD1 codes set off by over the counter tunes (apr/uni/etc) with OEM turbos (is20/is38), which is what I believe 99.9% of the market that have the TD1 flag. Hence why I call the blown motor outliers.

Now, if you're telling me EA888 GEN 3s are blowing up left and right because of over-the -counter tunes than my mistake, that is a huge surprise to me. I've built several turbo cars (Miata, 951, e90s, etc) and it typically takes a lot of stupid to blow a motor unless you're pushing it to the n'th degree or have crappy tune/hardware.

i did see some on vwvortex saying they got denied, with the date and time of when the flash was flashed and flashed back to stock and the poster saying, what could he really say, it was presented in black & white with dates and everything. Anyway seeing this is for research purposes, check on there too.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie

JD-1

Ready to race!
It sounds like every motor that has gone bad in that thread, would of gone bad