GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

More robust turbo vs breakage

oldguy1

Passed Driver's Ed
In considering APR tuning on my new '17 GTI SE DSG, it sounds like most failures in tuned motors are turbo related.
Would an answer be to go to a better turbo initially along with tuning?
Thanks.
Jack

777-300ER

Go Kart Newbie
Most of the time the blown turbos you hear about are early revision turbos from very early 2015's.

SpaceGhost

Ready to race!
You could get the APR tune that comes with a warranty. I think it's pretty expensive, but at least you wouldn't have to worry about your turbo or motor. I was curious and looked at the list of authorized tuners and was surprised to see the VW dealership where I bought my car on the list. So if my motor or turbo were to blow I could get the repairs done at the VW dealership and I'm assuming with the APR+ tune that APR would pay the dealership.

Zacr811

Ready to race!
In considering APR tuning on my new '17 GTI SE DSG, it sounds like most failures in tuned motors are turbo related.
Would an answer be to go to a better turbo initially along with tuning?
Thanks.
Jack
Well anytime you add more power it increases the chance on something breaking. Thats the game....pay to play. Chances are you will be fine though.

tknj99

Ready to race!
In addition to earlier revisions which were prone to failure, one other item to consider is even on our "good" turbos, there will be options that range from mild to wild in terms of how much they stress the turbo. For example, a piggyback FC can be set mildly and it can also be set more aggressive. and then within tunes, some push the boost levels higher than others, ie APR from what ive read. For me, the JB4 checked all of the boxes between adjustability, warranty retention and being a less stressful application when compared to the wilder tuner options.

Firstboost

Go Kart Champion
Plenty of people run stage 2 tunes and have zero issues. It's a gamble, but once you tune, if your turbo goes, you won't be covered under warranty for it, or anything else damaged by broken bits after it goes.

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
Going big turbo on these platforms does not equate to a better turbo.
IS38 has similar fail rates as the IS20 (perhaps higher when tuned), if this group and the facebook group is indicative of the the reliability.
Decide how much horsepower, then work with your tuner to figure out what you're gonna need to make that. Basic workshop economics does dictate that everything at once is technically cheaper.

emanon

Ready to race!
I think his point with the bigger turbo is that at a given power level it will be less stressed. An IS38 pushing 300hp should, all other things being equal, be under less stress than an IS20. Obviously if you push it for more power all bets are off.

I havent done much research, but specifically what part of the turbo is failing? Shaft breaking or the compressor just exploding?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I think his point with the bigger turbo is that at a given power level it will be less stressed. An IS38 pushing 300hp should, all other things being equal, be under less stress than an IS20. Obviously if you push it for more power all bets are off.

I havent done much research, but specifically what part of the turbo is failing? Shaft breaking or the compressor just exploding?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Shaft breaks.

jcarl126

Ready to race!
Shaft breaks.
it has yet to be determined the actual cause of these, but Diggs is correct. shaft breaks and sends a turbo down the ole' DP. could be oil starvation, could be poor balancing, no one seems to know exactly what the root cause is.

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
OP - If you plan to hit mid 300whp or more, I'd recommend to go with an aftermarket turbo.

You'll end up spending more $$$ but at least it's a preventative measure

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
You could get the APR tune that comes with a warranty. I think it's pretty expensive, but at least you wouldn't have to worry about your turbo or motor. I was curious and looked at the list of authorized tuners and was surprised to see the VW dealership where I bought my car on the list. So if my motor or turbo were to blow I could get the repairs done at the VW dealership and I'm assuming with the APR+ tune that APR would pay the dealership.

Have to find what they use to determine payment.