GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Pinch weld damage

VAG Parts Bin

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
97 GTI & 17 R
$250 for 4 pieces of rubber and two pieces of plastic seems a bit exorbitant. Wonder if there are any cheaper options

MUCH cheaper from e-Acca:

Last edited:

vw671

Autocross Newbie
Just keep in mind that you won't be able to put the access panels back on in the front. From the notes on the ECS site if you choose Mk7 as your model:

"Requires removal of underbody access covers for installation of the front pair. Access covers will not fit over jack pad on the front of the vehicle."

So you'll have to leave it like this:

https://i.imgur.com/tXLI2vS.png

Screenshot from the DAP episode on the OEM jack pad kit install.

Just use a hole saw.

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
Ugh, why does everything in Canada have to be so expensive. That Powerbuilt U jack is $282 over here with tax.

I may go the e-acca route or notch some hockey pucks and call it a day. The problem is I can't put hockey pucks on a jack stand.

Why couldn't they just do it like BMW :( I miss my E90.

Just use a hole saw.

Now that is thinking outside of the box!

VAG Parts Bin

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
97 GTI & 17 R
How was it installing these ? I know some say it’s hard to get them into the holes.

Took maybe 10-15 mins total. I used my floor jack to help push them into place. For the front plastic "caps", I used some coconut oil on them to help make them easier to slide into the rubber pads underneath.

tonipepperoni77

Drag Race Newbie
Took maybe 10-15 mins total. I used my floor jack to help push them into place. For the front plastic "caps", I used some coconut oil on them to help make them easier to slide into the rubber pads underneath.

Awesome and all we need are those parts you specified above from eeca

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I had a relatively minor separation of some material when the rubber pad on my personal jack shifted, nearly identical to your damage:

If you look at this angle, you can see that I had only mangled an outer "sheet" of sorts and that the main (harder?) lift point was still straight:

This still drove me nuts, so I used a crowbar bend the metal back to somewhat straight and then a rubber mallet with a 2x4 to beat it flat:

I thought I'd finish-up with a portable vise to really clamp it in place, but it simply was not necessary.

In case you're wondering, the car is on a four-post drive-on lift in these photos. My car has been on a dealer's lift just 2-3 times and a local Euro shop's twice. I'm very choosy after having my Mk3's rockers messed up and probably won't ever allow the car to be lifted anywhere else. That's quite a grudge! :p

I want to buy a jack with a longer lift arm so there's less lateral movement as I lift the car (which is what caused my pad to shift).

Try a crow bar and a 2x4. It worked fine for me.

Good Luck,

Scott

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Cheap fix is to get the Audi jack pads that will fit on your MK7 like stock...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcE8zA5iBLY

I was about to pull the trigger on the audi jack pads but Im still concerned about the structural integrity of those points. Theres concern that those points are only intended for 4 point lifts and arent designed for the load of a single jack point. These points were originally designed for use during manufacturing.

Im sure you, as well as other users are satisfied with it. However it just makes makes me nervous that theres no official word that its safe. You can press Paul at DAP and even he wont give you a straight answer. To me, the U-Jack makes more sense and is cheaper (if you havent bought a jack yet).

VAG Parts Bin

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
97 GTI & 17 R
Awesome and all we need are those parts you specified above from eeca

Yep.

There are several "how to's" in the DIY and other forums on what you need to do. It's really simple and I didn't have to jack the car up to do it (although I did use the jack to push the parts into place).

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
I had a relatively minor separation of some material when the rubber pad on my personal jack shifted, nearly identical to your damage

Interesting because that is the proper lift point. Seems like the thinner sheet metal would be easier to bend back. I can't tell if I weakened the structure because of the anti corrosion coating, but a few hits with a hammer and 2x4 didn't move it at all. I wonder if I should leave it as is, just looks ugly. Might have to smear some grease on the exposed metal so it doesn't accelerate rust.