GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Why are US Golf sales so low?

Jumpy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'18 GTI Autobahn
Probably because the 2017 Golf was released in late 2016, but the 2018 Golf wasn't released until a few weeks ago. So not a fair comparison.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
I wonder where golf sales are concentrated and the demographics involved. The MK7, GTI, eGolf, and Golf are extremely common in the sf bay area. Average driver looks to be 40-50 years old, white, even mix of male/female. Thats just based on my very unscientific observations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Golf R's too. They're almost as common as GTI's around here. I think the bay area is a unique car market.

SpaceGhost

Ready to race!
Because if all you care about is reliably getting from point A to point B then there are more reliable options for less $$$. The advantage is that the car drives better but you can't just expect people to know that. You need marketing and from what I've seen VW marketing is non existent

I'd be interested to see the Audi numbers. I live in a fairly affluent suburb of Boston and practically every other car is an Audi.

slide13

Ready to race!
The 2018 Golf MK 7.5 only went on sale in the US in late Feb, and they had stopped selling the 2017 Golf MK7 months ago, so sales for Feb were obviously down as there were no Golf’s to sell. You can’t sell what you don’t have. 2018 Golf R hasn’t yet gone on sale. VW US are there own worst enemies I am afaraid, and seem to be going out of their way to marginalize their US base hatchback customers. On the flip side, most American’s just aren’t interested in hatchbacks, so very little incentive for VW US to care about the minority of us. It’s such a shame because I have always been a big fan of the Golf family, and really wish VW had a market in the US to incentivize them to up their game and offer us the same as they offer across the pond.

This. The dealer I bought my GTI from last year at this time had zero GTIs and one Golf in early Feb. Now they have the 7.5s in but they came pretty deep into Feb. I bet next months figures will be closer to last years.

RennWerks

Go Kart Newbie
Golf sales #s vs. GTI sales #s

We're speculating, right? Well, IMHO, VOA has yet to settle on who even considers buying a Volkswagen in the US these days. Yes, there's the whole SUV vs. car issue, but beyond that even I wonder who the hell buys a "Golf," -- i.e. the econobox V-Dub? Clearly, VOA's decision to focus solely on selling a 4-door box has done nothing positive for sales, it only reduced them. That, I believe, was a pretty clear indicator that the market for a "cheap" four-door car manufactured by VW in Mexico was, and remains, miniscle.

The alternative, IMHO, should be to focus on the GTI and sell it as a car intended solely for serious gearheads: i.e., work the original formula that worked so well in Germany -- sell lots of motor & chassis in a small but still utterly practical car. Oh, and it sure would help if the damn thing were thought of as utterly reliable.

Next, th insane discounts from MSRP simply has to stop. Yes, it's great when you are the new car buyer looking for a "cheap" car, but this (ahem) "marketing stategy", if you can call it that, absolutely destroys the brand. The value of the used cars is nil. That's solely VOA's fault, and there's absolutely no short term fix.

You want to move the metal? Stop selling cheap cars (Golfs). Sell the GTI and Sportwagens to enthusiasts. Cater to them. Market the idea that it's the gearheads who are the insightful ones and if you ain't one, look elsewhere. They will influence their peers. Example: 'Roo's WRX and STI. But discounting the cars thousands of dollars ($4k is the norm) is just plain nuts. It says "We can't give this POS away: you want one?"

Volkswagen used to be a solid brand. It was thought of as a quality car for very little money. It's hallmark was reliability. All of that ended when VW tried to compete feature-for-feature with the Japanese and compete on price. That was never going to work. Quality -- which ironically can now be found throughout the interior of its cars -- should have been the standard for the brand, not trying to compete on cost and sales numbers. (Think BMWs original 1600 and 2002, for those old enough to remember them. Quality cars! Not cheap. Now look at the brand.)

No quick fix. Discriminate. Sell to gearheads.

Last edited:

SpaceGhost

Ready to race!
We're speculating, right? Well, IMHO, VOA has yet to settle on who even considers buying a Volkswagen in the US these days. Yes, there's the whole SUV vs. car issue, but beyond that even I wonder who the hell buys a "Golf," -- i.e. the econobox V-Dub? Clearly, VOA's decision to focus solely on selling a 4-door box has done nothing positive for sales, it only reduced them. That, I believe, was a pretty clear indicator that the market for a "cheap" four-door car manufactured by VW in Mexico was, and remains, miniscle.

The alternative, IMHO, should be to focus on the GTI and sell it as a car intended solely for serious gearheads: i.e., work the original formula that worked so well in Germany -- sell lots of motor & chassis in a small but still utterly practical car. Oh, and it sure would help if the damn thing were thought of as utterly reliable.

Next, th insane discounts from MSRP simply has to stop. Yes, it's great when you are the new car buyer looking for a "cheap" car, but this (ahem) "marketing stategy", if you can call it that, absolutely destroys the brand. The value of the used cars is nil. That's solely VOA's fault, and there's absolutely no short term fix.

You want to move the metal? Stop selling cheap cars (Golfs). Sell the GTI and Sportwagens to enthusiasts. Cater to them. Market the idea that it's the gearheads who are the insightful ones and if you ain't one, look elsewhere. They will influence their peers. Example: 'Roo's WRX and STI. But discounting the cars thousands of dollars ($4k is the norm) is just plain nuts. It says "We can't give this POS away: you want one?"

Volkswagen used to be a solid brand. It was thought of as a quality car for very little money. It's hallmark was reliability. All of that ended when VW tried to compete feature-for-feature with the Japanese and compete on price. That was never going to work. Quality -- which ironically can now be found throughout the interior of its cars -- should have been the standard for the brand, not trying to compete on cost and sales numbers. (Think BMWs original 1600 and 2002, for those old enough to remember them. Quality cars! Not cheap. Now look at the brand.)

No quick fix. Discriminate. Sell to gearheads.

You don't need to be a "gearhead" to appreciate that a GTI drives better than a Golf. I test drove a Golf first then a GTI. For the price difference it was a no brainer to go with the GTI

jackalope

Ready to race!
Probably because there is nothing special about the golf other than being a solid car. Its too expensive for a cheap car, doesnt have any special feature to make it stand out, isnt a new revolutionary new design. VW has a history of being unreliable regardless of how it is currently. These all added up makes buyers looking for a cheap commuter car turned off. This leaves people who want a quality car thats enjoyable to drive but cant afford a GTI. Very slim market.

Non-performance people dont want a regular car, they want a gimmick. Hence the Prius.

The Prius isn't a gimmick, it's a car that is very good at what it does, be efficient and economical to run.

The gimmicks are those crossovers that are proliferating. They're all about image and are very boring to drive. Some of them literally look like potatoes.

That would be fine except they are destroying cars that are fun to drive. They ALREADY destroyed offroad vehicles, with very few capable SUVs being left on the market in America.

merkeyterkey

The Real FLATTIRE
The Prius isn't a gimmick, it's a car that is very good at what it does, be efficient and economical to run.

The gimmicks are those crossovers that are proliferating. They're all about image and are very boring to drive. Some of them literally look like potatoes.

That would be fine except they are destroying cars that are fun to drive. They ALREADY destroyed offroad vehicles, with very few capable SUVs being left on the market in America.

Crossovers are a taller version of a cheaper, more economical, less to insure, better to drive vehicle. I don't understand why people feel like they need to be higher up than a car but lower than a SUV :confused:

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
Probably because there is nothing special about the golf other than being a solid car. Its too expensive for a cheap car, doesnt have any special feature to make it stand out, isnt a new revolutionary new design. VW has a history of being unreliable regardless of how it is currently. These all added up makes buyers looking for a cheap commuter car turned off. This leaves people who want a quality car thats enjoyable to drive but cant afford a GTI. Very slim market.

Non-performance people dont want a regular car, they want a gimmick. Hence the Prius.

Sorry, but the Golf is the best car in it's segment, by a lot. It has nothing to do with it being nothing special. Hatchbacks don't sell in the US unless it's an econobox, which the Golf is far from. The unreliability is somewhat of a myth. The GTI can't really be lumped with the Golf as it is its own breed and has a cult following as a stand alone segment.

Diesel gate is going to sting for a long time. US buyers hold grudges. How long did it take Audi to get over the baseless "unintended acceleration" scandal? Quite awhile based on the non-evidence presented. Once you are vilified, it takes a while for you to come back.

Many companies in the US that have been vilified for good reason like Ameritech and Comcast to name a few just change their names and all is forgotten quickly.

Still when I mention VW to people not really interested in cars they ask me about the diesel scandal and how I could buy a car from VW, etc, etc.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Not sure how many people will make it through Netflix' Dirty Money series, but a lot will watch the first episode, which re-ignited Diesel gate and tugged on heartstrings by gassing monkeys.

LS1

Passed Driver's Ed
A couple more reasons to consider would be the matter of "perceived safety" and the cost of fuel.

People believe (mostly erroneously) that they are safer in larger vehicles and gas prices have been relatively low.

VentoGT

Ready to race!
Americans buy appliances, look at the vast majority of cars on our roads. Also, BMW has totally lost its way, you can't buy a manual transmission Ferrari anymore, and crossovers are here to stay and likely dominate for the next decade...very said times for car lovers and unlikely to turn back at all.

My 2017 GSW is delightfully simple, and I will be putting a tune on it once it's out of warranty. 3 pedals, 4motion, tactile buttons for climate control and radio, etc, heated seats and mirrors, it's fantastic for what it is and the simplicity and straightforward design and driving characteristics are some of its best features.

Le sigh.

SpaceGhost

Ready to race!
Americans buy appliances, look at the vast majority of cars on our roads. Also, BMW has totally lost its way, you can't buy a manual transmission Ferrari anymore, and crossovers are here to stay and likely dominate for the next decade...very said times for car lovers and unlikely to turn back at all.

My 2017 GSW is delightfully simple, and I will be putting a tune on it once it's out of warranty. 3 pedals, 4motion, tactile buttons for climate control and radio, etc, heated seats and mirrors, it's fantastic for what it is and the simplicity and straightforward design and driving characteristics are some of its best features.

Le sigh.

You appear to connect America to Ferrari doesn't make manuals anymore. Maybe not intentional, but I don't think Lamborghini or McLaren do either. I don't think it's American market only or American market related. I think they do this because manuals aren't as good as dsg. They don't perform well it's as simple as that.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
I have seen one, count 'em - one television ad for the MK7 GTI.
None for the Golf.
Even non specific VW ads often don't even depict the GOlf/GTI nor mention it.
It's crazy.
VW can show these cars off as the versatile, roomy all around cars that they are, coupled with the automotive press accolades and now with VW's much better warranty.
I don't understand.
On the plus side, it gives my GTI a certain level of rarity.
I've only seen about two other Reflex Silver GTI's in three years.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Awful for decades? Thats a bit much. I actually like a lot of their past ad campaigns. The “unpimp your ride” with Peter Stormare for the MKV was great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

some of my favorite ads from any company ever