GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Why are US Golf sales so low?

SpaceGhost

Ready to race!
I have seen one, count 'em - one television ad for the MK7 GTI.
None for the Golf.
Even non specific VW ads often don't even depict the GOlf/GTI nor mention it.
It's crazy.
VW can show these cars off as the versatile, roomy all around cars that they are, coupled with the automotive press accolades and now with VW's much better warranty.
I don't understand.
On the plus side, it gives my GTI a certain level of rarity.
I've only seen about two other Reflex Silver GTI's in three years.

You are right when the MK7 came out it got nothing but rave reviews from the automotive press which a normal person wouldn't know so you would think that VW "marketing" would do something to get that information out there.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
The Prius isn't a gimmick, it's a car that is very good at what it does, be efficient and economical to run.

The gimmicks are those crossovers that are proliferating. They're all about image and are very boring to drive. Some of them literally look like potatoes.

That would be fine except they are destroying cars that are fun to drive. They ALREADY destroyed offroad vehicles, with very few capable SUVs being left on the market in America.

Crossovers are simply tall Station Wagons.
They are in fact, practical hatchbacks and make a lot of sense for many drivers, particularly those with families
The truck craze was ridiculous, when everyone wanted a Canyonero - that needed to die.
The problem if you will is that bigger is better is largely built into the American psyche.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
You are right when the MK7 came out it got nothing but rave reviews from the automotive press which a normal person wouldn't know so you would think that VW "marketing" would do something to get that information out there.

Thank you, yes.
These cars make C&D's Ten Best year after year.
I hear crickets from VW about this.
I could easily imagine a GTI commercial showing off its interior passenger space, folding the rear seat and accommodating - oh, maybe beach gear - a good looking young couple hops in, tears it up along a Pacific Coast road and ends up at the beach.
Or...
A couple in an urban situation hits the flea market, arts store etc., the compact car fits in small parking spaces while offering lots of room.
It looks sharp, gets great mileage, and has a great warranty.

IES99

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
different purposes

Crossovers are simply tall Station Wagons.
They are in fact, practical hatchbacks and make a lot of sense for many drivers, particularly those with families
The truck craze was ridiculous, when everyone wanted a Canyonero - that needed to die.
The problem if you will is that bigger is better is largely built into the American psyche.

We have a Grand Cherokee in addition to the GTI because it can do things that the VW cannot: tow the boat, fit 3 car seats in the second row, take enough luggage for an extended trip with the family, etc.

The GTI is for other purposes (you know what I mean). The GTI makes me smile, the biger vehicle (Jeep) is a mule.

PS: never wanted a pickup: those are commercial work vehicles (IMO).

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Thank you, yes.
These cars make C&D's Ten Best year after year.
I hear crickets from VW about this.

Bingo. It's marketing (and lack of it) that is SO lacking. There was a blurb of publicity/commercials right after the Mk7 won COTY awards, then a deafening silence.

My GF is a perfect example of a market they're missing. Back in '09 I convinced her to look at a Jetta TDI as a replacement for her crappy Saturn Vue hybrid, which she was scared to death to own out of warranty (and rightfully so). She wouldn't have even thought to sniff at a VW unless I'd pointed her in that direction. She absolutely loved the car, bought a nice DSG model and drove it 5 years and 70k miles. She then replaced it with a Golf TDI when the Mk7's came out, went 6MT this time, and loved that car even more. She gave it up for a dieselgate settlement and now drives a Mazda3, which she doesn't hate but would much prefer to have her Golf back. There have got to be a ton of potential customers out there who would love a Golf (or GTI) but just have no idea what they're missing, because they aren't hearing anything about them. It's pathetic.

Jumpy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'18 GTI Autobahn
That's true about the lack of marketing, but people should do their own research. If you're buying something as expensive as a car, don't you want to thoroughly research all options? I'm far from a gearhead, but a few months of research landed me here.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Bingo. It's marketing (and lack of it) that is SO lacking. There was a blurb of publicity/commercials right after the Mk7 won COTY awards, then a deafening silence.

My GF is a perfect example of a market they're missing. Back in '09 I convinced her to look at a Jetta TDI as a replacement for her crappy Saturn Vue hybrid, which she was scared to death to own out of warranty (and rightfully so). She wouldn't have even thought to sniff at a VW unless I'd pointed her in that direction. She absolutely loved the car, bought a nice DSG model and drove it 5 years and 70k miles. She then replaced it with a Golf TDI when the Mk7's came out, went 6MT this time, and loved that car even more. She gave it up for a dieselgate settlement and now drives a Mazda3, which she doesn't hate but would much prefer to have her Golf back. There have got to be a ton of potential customers out there who would love a Golf (or GTI) but just have no idea what they're missing, because they aren't hearing anything about them. It's pathetic.

I agree 100%.

Squishy

Ready to race!
Golfs are rare in Canada too, I rarely see another Golf and when I do it's almost always a Mk4. I don't think I've seen a single other MK7 GTI other than my own in the entire time I've owned it (half a year now). Jettas and Tiguans on the other hand are super common around here. I can't explain it, because Canada loves hatchbacks and just about every other hatchback is very common to see, no idea why Golfs aren't more common.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
I live in a City of aprrox 155,000 with 3 surrounding smaller communities making up another 30,000 people.

I have seen 2 MK7 GTi's and only just recently. When my MK5 was newer I saw about 3 - Mk5 GTi's. Our dealer here is not very good. When I went to buy my MK7 GTI, they didn't have a single one on the lot for over a month. Then when they did finally get 1, it was an S.

Just checked their inventory and they have 1 -Golf TSi for 2017-2018 and that's it. Can't sell cars you don't have.

P.s. The dealer is a Chevy/ Buick/ GMC/ BMW dealer also. They spend very little resources on VW compared to the other brands. This dealer has been this way since the 80's. Although BMW was a recent addition in the past 10 years.

Last edited:

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I see zero ads for MK7s of any type in my area. No tv spots, radio, print, or billboard. Only ads I ever see are on facebook and on tap a talk and its for a jetta or a wagon. As far as I can recall, the last tv ads I saw for the GTI was for the MK5. I honestly didnt even know there was a MK6 until I bought my MK7. Crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SpaceGhost

Ready to race!
I see MK7 GTI all the time. I am surprised not sure why there would be so many in Boston but not other places.

VW is quite popular around here and Audi is through the roof.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

VentoGT

Ready to race!
You appear to connect America to Ferrari doesn't make manuals anymore. Maybe not intentional, but I don't think Lamborghini or McLaren do either. I don't think it's American market only or American market related. I think they do this because manuals aren't as good as dsg. They don't perform well it's as simple as that.

You make a good point, but what is the world's largest market for all of these types of cars? the Good ole US of A, where people want to look like they have style and skill and money but want to be coddled in comfort and ease of driving--damn the third pedal!

You are right that on a track an auto clutch manual/DSG may perform better at 9/10, how many of the cars are used that way? It has killed my affection for many sports cars/supercars but then again I don't have $400K to spend on a car so Ferrari probably doesn't care. I just have no interest in a sports car with 2 pedals as it defeats the purpose to me

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
Its alot of negative factors combined. VW dealerships suck, dealing with the sales and service departments is not as smooth as other brands in my experience. Being a German car, parts are also pretty expensive except you don't get the fancy audi, bmw, or mercedes badge to justify the cost. Service seems pricier to someone who doesn't know cars (Full synthetic oil change costs how much??? My toyota oil change was only blah blah) but when you factor in the longer service intervals, better interior, better handling, etc its actually good value.

Also, everyone shits on VW left and right regardless of their experience with the brand. All I heard from everyone as I was considering the GTI was how awful and unreliable VWs are....none of them every owned a VW. Everyone I know whose owned a newer one has been happy. Public perception of the brand is very poor where I'm sure a marketing flood would help but that monkey shit doesn't help either.

On the other hand, the other crowd I've heard claims VW is "too expensive". That would be true if comparing MSRPs to other economy hatches but not so much when the massive rebates and markdowns get factored in. I think this is one of the biggest problems in the US. Just price them less, that's what they're gonna sell at anyway. Subaru figured this out with the WRX (at least here in NE) as they price them very competitively and don't play games marking them down a whole bunch to fool the customer into thinking they got a deal.