GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2018 FORMULA 1 SEASON

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
What an ass though pretty much accusing Ferrari of purposely trying to take them out of the race.
Does he really think both RAI and VET would risk ruining their race as well just to take out one of the Mercs?
Last time with BOT and VET was a racing incident, and so was this.
I would be saying that if the roles were reversed.
They can all be cry babies when things don't go their way but HAM is the king of them.

But in F2 news did anyone see that the American HAAS development driver Santino Ferrucci basically just ruined his career?

95gto

Go Kart Newbie
Raikkonen's contact on Hamilton was not a racing incident, it was a bad judgement call on Kimi's part and the penalty was well deserved. I don't think he intended to have contact with Lewis but there wasn't room for him to stick his nose in like that. Kimi took the risk and it didn't pay off, plain and simple. The idea that Ferrari has incorporated bumper cars into their overall racing strategy though is very laughable. Suggesting as much is in bad taste.

And as much as Lewis can whine, until someone purposefully drives into another car like Seb did in Azerbaijan I think he will continue to hold the crown. Making noise on the radio or in an interview is one thing, but ramming your car into another because you are unhappy is something best left to Nascar.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
Kimi was behind (slightly) but had the inside line...was he supposed to just back off and give up the position?
No driver would answer yes.
He for sure over-cooked it into the corner (you can see the lock-up in his on-board).
Not saying Hamilton had to or even should have, but had he left Kimi a little bit more room it may not have been an issue.
But Hamilton probably had no idea he was there either.

So Hamilton not aware of surroundings + Kimi locking up = racing incident to me.
Not saying it is not his fault...it was...but I think the stewards calls are all so inconsistent from driver to driver, race to race

Last edited:

95gto

Go Kart Newbie
If Kimi ever had the position he lost it going into braking before the corner. Hamilton knew where Raikkonen was as evidenced by all the room he left. There was more than enough room for both cars through the corner and had Raikkonen braked adequately for the turn both cars would have fit.

Kimi accepted blame for the incident knowing it was his misjudgment that caused the whole thing. As for whether the penalty was fair, given that it put Kimi behind the guy whose race he nearly killed I think it was.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
. As for whether the penalty was fair, given that it put Kimi behind the guy whose race he nearly killed I think it was.

I thought it was fair. But the inconsistency of it is complete crap when Vettel only got 5 for taking out Bottas in the French.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
But in F2 news did anyone see that the American HAAS development driver Santino Ferrucci basically just ruined his career?

If I was Haas, I’d fire him. A team doesn’t need a maverick like that in their midst.

Last edited:

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
I thought it was fair. But the inconsistency of it is complete crap when Vettel only got 5 for taking out Bottas in the French.

Yeah that is my issue.
Both instances were pretty cut and dry and obviously the fault of the Ferrari driver. But why the different penalties.

If BOT got hit again would it just be 5 seconds? Or would it have been 10.

If I was Haas, I’d fire him. A team doesn’t need a maverick like that in their midst.

Or promote him to their NASCAR teams lol.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Vbrad: Just look at Grosjean. What penalties has he received?

I never watched NASCAR. Wait! I did see Days of Thunder LOL. Yeah, he’d be perfect!

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
Yeah I was never much into NASCAR.

It's not just because it is an oval track, because I'll watch Indy on oval.
So I don't know...I guess I'm of the "rubbing IS NOT racing" mindset lol.
I'd rather watch clean well executed passes than just a bunch of people bumping into each other.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Yeah I was never much into NASCAR.

It's not just because it is an oval track, because I'll watch Indy on oval.
So I don't know...I guess I'm of the "rubbing IS NOT racing" mindset lol.
I'd rather watch clean well executed passes than just a bunch of people bumping into each other.

To be fair, I always found it amazing for NASCAR drivers to race in packs in cars that have no handling or brakes and tons of torque conpared to F1 cars and still be ok.

After the second SC when 4 cars were within a few thenths of each other is the closest thing we’ll ever get to exciting close racing like that in F1 LOL. That or a Grosjean crash hahaha

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
Ugh poor Grosjean.
I'm not sure he will have a seat next year.

I don't know.
He is obviously capable of a finish within the top 10 almost every time out, but the errors and general bad luck he has had this season is hard to ignore.

He did however carry HAAS as a team during its inception, but now, even HAAS has admitted their frustration with the situation.

95gto

Go Kart Newbie

Yeah that is my issue.
Both instances were pretty cut and dry and obviously the fault of the Ferrari driver. But why the different penalties.

If BOT got hit again would it just be 5 seconds? Or would it have been 10.

I thought the broadcasters made a note relative to this, saying the stewards were trying to determine a "fair" penalty to impose in cases like this. However it is a bit of a subjective call and past experiences influence current decisions. Also when you consider Kimi got away clean but Vettel damaged his front wing, a ten second penalty would mean vastly different things to their respective races. I guess I took the broadcaster's statement to mean the imposed penalties will vary by design as the goal isn't to enact a fixed interval of penalty but rather a consistent disruption or handicap to the offender's race.

If Bottas gets hit by another Ferrari you can bet people will start running wild with Lewis's "interesting tactics" comment.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
I thought the broadcasters made a note relative to this, saying the stewards were trying to determine a "fair" penalty to impose in cases like this. However it is a bit of a subjective call and past experiences influence current decisions. Also when you consider Kimi got away clean but Vettel damaged his front wing, a ten second penalty would mean vastly different things to their respective races. I guess I took the broadcaster's statement to mean the imposed penalties will vary by design as the goal isn't to enact a fixed interval of penalty but rather a consistent disruption or handicap to the offender's race.

If Bottas gets hit by another Ferrari you can bet people will start running wild with Lewis's "interesting tactics" comment.

That totally makes more sense now you've articulated it this way. I wish there was a way the stewards could explain why/how they came to that conclusion similar to other sports.

About Lewis' comment. It was made right after the heat of battle and adrenaline still in his veins. He already admitted that he says stupid things after a race. What I disagree with is how Merc added to that fire by saying Ferrari did it deliberately.

Last edited:

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
Last edited: