GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Presenting the AWE AirGate™ Carbon Intake. Available Now.

Daument

Ready to race!
Negligible power gain that you can't even feel for $600 is still too much since all aftermarket intake is for either looks or noise.

I'm pretty sure that the real life situation like extremely hot day in traffic, heat soaked situations, you are most not likely gain any power at all.

^^ this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Maybe like 1-2 hp, which is well within the +/- on any given dyno.
As long as it flows better than stock and IATs remain within range of each other, there will be no major difference. My APR and Unitronic intakes sat at temps almost identical to my AFE and IE intakes, +30f from ambient when sitting, +10f from ambient when running, stock intercooler for all of it.
You track your car. You know first hand that dyno numbers don't mean shit.

You've had 4 intakes on your car?

This same airbox lost 9whp when opened up on the GTI.

While it only was a 2whp difference at peak on the Golf R, most of that curve shows a 5+whp loss when opening the box.

Negligible power gain that you can't even feel for $600 is still too much since all aftermarket intake is for either looks or noise.

I'm pretty sure that the real life situation like extremely hot day in traffic, heat soaked situations, you are most not likely gain any power at all.

16whp is not negligible.

You can argue that's it's poor bang for the buck, but after you pick the low hanging fruit (tunes, DP, etc) you have to start doing less cost effective mods if you're going to optimize the setup.

mursepaolo

Ready to race!
You've had 4 intakes on your car?

This same airbox lost 9whp when opened up on the GTI.

While it only was a 2whp difference at peak on the Golf R, most of that curve shows a 5+whp loss when opening the box.

16whp is not negligible.

You can argue that's it's poor bang for the buck, but after you pick the low hanging fruit (tunes, DP, etc) you have to start doing less cost effective mods if you're going to optimize the setup.

Agree with the low hanging fruit. I would argue though that the drop in power with the same airbox is due to the design of the box when it's open. There doesn't seem to be any sealing off on the hood. Plus, with an opening that size vs the cowl route, the majority of air that is getting pulled in is probably under hood air. Not to mention, this measurement is on a dyno which is likely running hotter ambient temps under hood to begin with.

I'd love to see this intake vs IE with a modified grille like mine. Bet you it makes the same power or at least within the +/- and if it is, I'd much rather pay half for an IE or maybe an AFE system if I wanted flexibility between open and closed.

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Not to mention, this measurement is on a dyno which is likely running hotter ambient temps under hood to begin with.

Dyno's never show a good closed vs open intake comparison. The hood of the car is up, and a giant fan is blowing over the car. The open intakes will always be in their absolute best case scenario on the dyno. (no trapped heat under the hood, fresh air source).

Probably your best bet for intake comparisons would be track times and trap speeds. Closed hoods, at speed, every little bit matters.

cbaumy34

Go Kart Champion
If I had the money!!! I know intakes are a later in the game mod. But I love my AWE catback so I guess I'm a fanboy lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
This does look awesome, but i agree the $600 intakes have to stop. I blame the Audi drivers who will spend this money on an intake driving our costs up because they can be interchangable on some models.

Derushi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Long
This does look awesome, but i agree the $600 intakes have to stop. I blame the Audi drivers who will spend this money on an intake driving our costs up because they can be interchangable on some models.

On the other hand, they're usually the ones to buy them and re-sell for cheaper when they get tired of their Audi :)

nate704

Go Kart Champion
16whp is not negligible.

I bet $100 that you cannot/will not reproduce 16 whp gain in real life. Dyno number is just for the comparison only for that specific date, time, pressure, temperature, humidity level, altitude. It doesn't directly apply to the real life situations at all. Also, even same brand and model dyno produces different numbers due to the factors that I just mentioned above.
It has been proven over and over again that any aftermarket intake doesn't make noticeable difference other than increase in noise level.

Daument

Ready to race!
I bet $100 that you cannot/will not reproduce 16 whp gain in real life. Dyno number is just for the comparison only for that specific date, time, pressure, temperature, humidity level, altitude. It doesn't directly apply to the real life situations at all. Also, even same brand and model dyno produces different numbers due to the factors that I just mentioned above.

It has been proven over and over again that any aftermarket intake doesn't make noticeable difference other than increase in noise level.

I agree, buy an IC/down pipe/tune/JB4/WMI/better tires

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

IBFreeman

Ready to race!
Def. unique and different compared to other similarly priced intakes, some which look janky. It's just under 5 on NGP's site. Sounds good in the vid. I'm tempted, but I need to cure the DP fix first.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
I bet $100 that you cannot/will not reproduce 16 whp gain in real life....

I'm not running the AWE intake...mine is not advertised for a 16whp gain and I don't think i'll make 16whp, but since you think intakes are only noise I'll take your bet if you lower the spread to 10whp.

If you're down i'll send you all the details via PM so we don't derail this thread.

IBFreeman

Ready to race!
Agree with the low hanging fruit. I would argue though that the drop in power with the same airbox is due to the design of the box when it's open.

I think the point that they made it this way was to simply allow people get the sound that most people enjoy while still performing better than the factory box (regardless of how much that is). Run it fully closed and it clearly performs (even more so over the factory box). I don't see how the graph doesn't show that intakes clearly do something... the deltas between tests is what matters.