GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Revo IS38ETR

MK_7R

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello everyone,

It's done! I collected my car on Christmas Eve after having the IS38ETR installed along with the Revo stage 3 ECU/TCU software and since I have now put a few thousand kilometres on the clock, I thought I would pop in and attempt a quick review.

image1-4.jpeg

Before the install, the car was running the following mods;

• Intake - Arma
  • Inlet pipe - Leyo
  • Turbo muffler delete - Leyo
  • Intercooler - Wagner
  • Intercooler piping - Leyo
  • Meth kit - BMS
  • JB4 Map 6 - BMS

I did have a IPE turbo back exhaust on the car but sold it a couple of weeks prior to the install and picked up a SuperSprint catless downpipe to go along with the build.

Before the install, I wanted to get some baseline figures from bolt-ons only, so I changed the JB4 to map 0 for a couple of days and went to the dyno. The car put down 264whp and 282wtq with no JB4 and no meth.

It then went in for the IS38 install, Revo full mount kit and the new downpipe and a few days later, she was ready :D

image1-3.jpeg

Initial impressions are obviously the car is brutally fast, but who didn't expect that. It went back to the same dyno and put down 439whp and 397wtq and going from JB4 to that, you feel every horsepower. Once it builds boost, it just holds and pulls through every gear, the power delivery is so linear, i still can't get my head round it.

image2-2.jpeg

VBox results
0-100 = 3.4s
100-200 = 7.8s

The Revo mount kit is a gorgeous bit of kit, really well made, just great quality BUT it is harsh at idle. I had a Leyo dogbone mount on the car which was perfect but thats my only experience as far as mounts go so take my opinion with a pinch of salt. The car has a constant vibration at idle which actually isn't that unless the AC is on, then everything is buzzing, worst of it is the sun visors shaking against the roof. Also pulling off from a stop the car does shudder but after reading a few reviews, I have ordered the Fluidampr crank pulley with the hope that it softens that up a bit.

Having said that, as soon as the wheels are spinning, everything is butter smooth. The engine is so planted and just feels ready anytime you burry your foot and the DSG is the exact same, shifts are crisp and precise. A lot of the clunkyness has gone which is great.

I have been daily driving the car back and fourth to work for the last few weeks and surprisingly in Drive, its completely tame. To the point where if it wasn't for the idle vibrations, you wouldn't have any idea its modified or a stage 3 car. The shifts are smooth and not jerky at all and the shift points are perfect. I can finally use Sport mode without the car sticking in 2nd or 3rd gear forever.

Overall, everything seems good and considering the price in comparison to the APR kit, I am absolutely delighted. I had a few pulls with an APR stage 3 and we were neck and neck the whole time apart from some higher speed rolling starts where he pulled on my by about 1.5 car lengths.

Sure there is tons I missed but feel free to ask any questions!

Very cool. My car is sitting alongside Beaker's right now getting the same turbo and tune, though no meth, upgraded fuel pump instead. Beaker's DSG, but mine is manual.

I must admit, I was hoping to see something north of 450 at the wheel. But honestly, it's just numbers. Here's hoping REVO comes out with no-lift shift.

MK_7R

Passed Driver's Ed
Very cool. My car is sitting alongside Beaker's right now getting the same turbo and tune, though no meth, upgraded fuel pump instead. Beaker's DSG, but mine is manual.

I must admit, I was hoping to see something north of 450 at the wheel. But honestly, it's just numbers. Here's hoping REVO comes out with no-lift shift.

I too was hoping to break the 450whp mark, one thing I should of probably pointed out is that this is on 98ron and with the stock catback. Better fuel and a less restrictive exhaust may help push it closer to the mark.

I've got full exhaust, but I'm going to be running 93 octane. So....

Have you noticed any change in lag?

MK_7R

Passed Driver's Ed
I've got full exhaust, but I'm going to be running 93 octane. So....

Have you noticed any change in lag?

I think your 93 is the same as our 98ron.

No change in lag at all. It must spool up slightly later than stock but it pulls so hard I am yet to notice any difference.

Much of a difference MPG wise?

Also, did you get a chance to drive the APR car? How did they compare in driveability?

MK_7R

Passed Driver's Ed
Much of a difference MPG wise?

Also, did you get a chance to drive the APR car? How did they compare in driveability?

Yes, a big improvement in fuel consumption! Really happy with that.

Unfortunately, i didn't get a chance to drive the APR car and it seems like I won't ever get the chance as his engine exploded later that night :eek:

Hmmm. 1.5 car lengths and then it blew up. Call it revisionist history, but I'm gonna say you won that round....

micloi

To alleviate the idle vibration (I had the same issue as did some friends of mine with aftermarket mounts) you have to increase the idle rpms.

There are different ways, your tuner can do that as part of the map. If not possible then vcds can increase these by 50rpms (enough for some cars but not all, to help with the vibration). The third possible option (which I will try next week) is to use VCP (vag can pro) which also has an option for increasing idle rpm. Do not know if this works for MQB cars and the max increase allowed, will have to test it when I have my car back in a week or so.

burtomr

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
It's done!...
I have been daily driving the car back and fourth to work for the last few weeks and surprisingly in Drive, its completely tame. To the point where if it wasn't for the idle vibrations, you wouldn't have any idea its modified or a stage 3 car....

Wow, your car sounds great. I have a very serious recomendation for you from my experience with the same issue of vibration from the dogbone mount. You should imediately replace your insert with an O34 Insert (CNC milled aluminum) It will do a perfect job of removing all drivetrain slop but WITHOUT the annoying vibrations at idle. I promise.