GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tow Hook Plate?????

Rafiki76

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII GTI
So I bought my GTi on 10/1/17 and I really hated the front plate mount. I asked the dealer not to drill but it was too late. I was going to do a tow hook mount but kinda forgot. I got pulled over about 30 min ago and luckily just got a warning (nice cop lol) . What tow hook mount would you guys recommend or what are you running?

I am considering the MillWorks and the Rho v2 mounts. Any ideas?

Thanks!

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Most people say Millworks if you have the money

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
If the bumper is already drilled, use it. The tow hook mount can be more trouble than it's worth, even if the good ones didn't cost $100. Too easily stolen. If you park on the street or parking lots it will eventually get bent, along with your tag. If you (gasp!) use automatic carwashes, you need to remove it.

ibecirovic97

Millworks, I personally don't run it, but I did buy their tow hook bolt and hardware and made my own plate and added a screw in the back so it wouldn't scratch bumper.. Total cost for me was around $40

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
Millworks is the way to go. I've yet to see another brand get the plate as close to the bumper/lined up nicely like mine. Looks really clean and super easy to take off with the quick detach option. Lightening option isn't a must but is nice as it gives you an extra row of mounting holes.

Other tow hook mounts stick way too far out which looks really cheap imo.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
If the bumper is already drilled, use it.

This, x10000.

Not just because I absolutely hate the look of a tow hook-mounted plate, but it only makes sense that if the holes are already there in the proper place, to use them, and effectively eliminate them. And have a much nicer-looking, flush mounted plate, the way God intended it to be attached. It will look far better than mounting the thing side-saddle, awkwardly protruding from the bumper, with holes where it belonged in the first place.

You never hear europeans complaining about the fact that they must attach a front license plate to their precious bumper, they just do it and motor on. Seems to only be a USA "problem" for whatever reason.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
On my Stang I just tucked the plate up on the dash/lower windshield. I was never hassled but am older/white. I will agree with others in the damage was already done. At least putting the plate where it belongs will hide the holes.

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
On my Stang I just tucked the plate up on the dash/lower windshield. I was never hassled but am older/white. I will agree with others in the damage was already done. At least putting the plate where it belongs will hide the holes.

This is the worst idea ever. I always shake my head when I see it.

1.) You're acknowledging the fact that you know a front plate is required and just inviting yourself to get pulled over.

2.) What happens if you get into an accident and the force of the accident causes the front plate to become dislodged and perhaps hits you in your carotid artery (neck)? You'd bleed out in moments... Yes, that's worst case, but still, why intentionally put a metal object in a loose location? It'll instantly become a weapon in those scenarios.

Trancebolt

Ready to race!
using a rhoplate. canada =D

I like it very much. were no holes drilled into my front bumper and i didnt want to cover the front grill air openings.

good point about stealability.... not sure what the market for front plates with no tags is =D but those people couldve just unscrewed the fcking things anyway if they so badly wanted one.... never heard of that but a valid point

Rafiki76

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII GTI
If the bumper is already drilled, use it. The tow hook mount can be more trouble than it's worth, even if the good ones didn't cost $100. Too easily stolen. If you park on the street or parking lots it will eventually get bent, along with your tag. If you (gasp!) use automatic carwashes, you need to remove it.

I actually only hand wash my car, yeah she's spoiled lol. But its already easy enough to strip off the stock plate

Rafiki76

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII GTI
This, x10000.

Not just because I absolutely hate the look of a tow hook-mounted plate, but it only makes sense that if the holes are already there in the proper place, to use them, and effectively eliminate them. And have a much nicer-looking, flush mounted plate, the way God intended it to be attached. It will look far better than mounting the thing side-saddle, awkwardly protruding from the bumper, with holes where it belonged in the first place.

You never hear europeans complaining about the fact that they must attach a front license plate to their precious bumper, they just do it and motor on. Seems to only be a USA "problem" for whatever reason.

Euro plates are also a lot skinner. I would throw the plate on if we had the same style plates. I personally love the offset look, it makes it look a little more aggressive imo. But I have been considering the hole problem and I know plugs arent 100%

Wetelvis

Ready to race!
I’ve seen a Audi TT in my area that had a vinyl decal made, basically identical to his plate but narrower to fit shape of his car. Probably not legal but enough to distract the PoPo!