GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Front License Plate Holder

dfriedz

Hi all,

I'm a new owner of a 2015 GTI as of several weeks ago. I purchased the vehicle in Michigan (only rear license plate), and live in Illinois where the front license plate is required. There are no holes drilled into the bumper and I have no hardware to mount the front license plate I have just received. Are there recommendations on how to mount it? I did a bit of searching and determined just zip tying it to the honeycomb grill is a bad idea for several reasons. Everything else I have seen is referring to the type of mounts that screw into the front tow hook. Are there any other options? Suggestions? I like inexpensive, easy to mount/install, looks good, and won't damage the vehicle.

Thanks in advance !

strat_53711

Nothing wrong with zip tying to honeycomb grill offset to the left. Plenty of airflow to the inter cooler.

I rolled over the top and bottom edges 1/8" (I figure the smoother rounder surface would be easier on the plastic bumper). I also put a 1/4" rubber grommet in each hole (To lessen the abrasive edge to the zip tie). Then used some cold weather rated zip ties.

It cost $1.29 for six grommets and $2.99 for small pack of the zip ties.

https://www.menards.com/main/electr...156-c-6448.htm?tid=170422745785947892&ipos=16

https://www.menards.com/main/electr...85905924502838760&ipos=19&bargainStoreId=3058

It beats paying for those expensive front tow hook plate mounts.

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
I like inexpensive, easy to mount/install, looks good, and won't damage the vehicle.

IMO the tow hook mounts are the best. I ordered my car without the holes in the front bumper as well and mounted the plate on a US Mill Works bracket with quick detach option. Looks great, is stable as can be, and their design allows you to attach/detach the plate in under 10 seconds vs others where you have to swivel it all the way out.

Ticks all your boxes except inexpensive (pretty pricey for a license plate mount). Still, to me, it was well worth the money as it was the only mount available that had all the options I wanted and full effortless adjustability to cater to my obsessiveness.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Nothing wrong with zip tying to honeycomb grill offset to the left. Plenty of airflow to the inter cooler.

H15A

I just had the dealer put the oem front plate bracket on. I wouldn't be able to stand the offcenter front plate. From the side and top down, it looks pretty weird IMO.

Theres a local Golf R that has a tow-eye mounted front plate and it looks like someone backs into his plate frequently because they can't judge how far its jutting forward.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf
I have had the platypus tow hook and it does what it's supposed to do, and well made. I've had it on both my MK7s and it seems to rub the paint off the lower part of the where the tow hook hole is. I installed one, and the dealer installed it on the other car, and both times the same results. Luckily, you can't see it since it's behind the plate.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
I just had the dealer put the oem front plate bracket on. I wouldn't be able to stand the offcenter front plate. From the side and top down, it looks pretty weird IMO.

Theres a local Golf R that has a tow-eye mounted front plate and it looks like someone backs into his plate frequently because they can't judge how far its jutting forward.

My thoughts as well.
I've said this before, and obviously it's a matter of taste -but the asymmetry of the tow hook plate bothers me.
It draws the eye to the plate. Exactly what I don't want.
The plate looks bad next to the corner of the lower intake and partially blocking the strakes.
These things inevitably wind up crooked.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
I like the off-center look, and like it much better than holes in my bumper. YMMV. But, I agree, the plate gets bent and looks icky but here in Vermont, where like many I live on a dirt road anyhow and half the year your car is covered in road salt, who cares?

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
I like the off-center look, and like it much better than holes in my bumper. YMMV. But, I agree, the plate gets bent and looks icky but here in Vermont, where like many I live on a dirt road anyhow and half the year your car is covered in road salt, who cares?

By that logic, why are you screwing around with the side-saddle mount at all? Much easier and cheaper to just mount it up properly. You shouldn't lose any sleep over holes in the bumper, because when a plate is screwed into them, they aren't "holes".. they're filled and functional.