GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dkm stage 3 clutch

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
Does anyone have a video of the chatter/rattle that they get with this setup?

Trying to make a decision on a new clutch and I have this feeling I may be one that will be sensitive to the noise.

I will say that a video might not help. I mean you should try and meet someone locally and hear in person.

Shaggz

Passed Driver's Ed
It's very quiet overall, I can hear alight actuation noise normally. It just doesn't like engaging quickly, mine makes a grinding noise when doing so.
sounds like it wasnt aligned great tbh.. 1000 miles now no grinding noises.
it talks a bit on first gear leaving light

steddy2112

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE
Well, the issue is quiet to some is loud to others. it is such a relative thing.

I will say that a video might not help. I mean you should try and meet someone locally and hear in person.

This, like if someone were to make a video trying to capture a noise that is drowned out by something else, you wouldn't even be able to hear it.

I already tried to describe it relative to the tons of noise the engine bay already makes by stating that you can't hear it over the noise that's already there.

If you flip back a bit more too I said:

Picked it up last night and man that pedal is so nice. I put the ECS bleeder block and a stainless clutch line in as well and man the clutch has so much feel now.

Gonna put some miles on it today but first impressions are:

Pedal pressure is medium. It's not cable clutch on an sn95 mustang or pickup truck, but it's not super light like the stock clutch. I have had a sintered metallic six puck(exedy hypersingle) and this clutch is not as hard as that.

Bite point is lower, but not on the floor.

It's a little chattery and overall, with the radio muted, you'll hear the diff more(as in you could hear it on the stock dual mass too) and the driveline lash is a smidge more pronounced. Keep in mind I have a dogbone insert(spulen street) so I have a little more NVH than stock.

No more revs disappearing into the cosmos on down shifts thanks to no more dual mass flywheel. With that being said, I understand now why these cars have them stock. People expect cars to be quiet and refined and these transmissions aren't exactly quiet. I'd hate to hear a DSG with a single mass lol. The wife's surprises me quite often with the amount of noise it makes.

The TL;DR is

Medium effort
Some chatter, not a lot
More noise than stock but still pretty quiet overall

And my experiences with super aggro clutches that chatter like hell:

Not even in the same realm of an on/off clutch. Very easy to drive once you get used to it. It's not free of noise on initial start up but chatters a LOT less once it warms up. That's also sensitive ears, overall noise level is probably a 3/10 at start and a 1/10 afterwards whereas before it was 1/10 and no chatter afterwards.Note,
this was with about 80 miles on the clutch, since it has broken in it's about 2/10 on start up for a whole 20 seconds while the car is warming the cat up,
and after it's done doing that you have to try and listen for the sound to be able to hear it, and sometimes you still can't find it.

Any single disc clutch that's non-organic is going to be exactly that. The clutch pedal is heavy, but there's a few cars out there that have heavier clutches stock that I've driven. Both the 350Z and 370Z are culprits that come to mind.

As I've said before, it's no where near as heavy as the Exedy Hypersingle I had in my Cobalt SS. For reference, the stock clutch in that is about as light as ours.

The Hypersingle is a 6 puck sintered metallic/ceramic disc:

^THIS clutch was an on/off switch, did not slip unless something went wrong, and probably the heaviest pedal I've ever stepped on. Chattered a bit too.

The DKM twin disc is no where near as hard to drive or anywhere near as light switch as the old Exedy I had.

There is no quieter single mass flywheel option. There is no other option that will be as easy to drive as this with a 660 ft/lbs capacity rating backing it up.

To me, if you have a manual transmission GTI, and you want an actual upgraded clutch set up, this is it.

It's like asking a drowning person if they want to breathe. It's that rhetorical. If you've already decided to spend money on an aftermarket clutch set up and plan on making at least APR S2 power, this clutch setup will hold it forever, laugh about it, be easy to drive, and quieter than the catted downpipe you have to put in to get to S2.

DrewB

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 Pure White Sport
As someone who's new to the GTI in general and in need of a clutch, I appreciate you guys breaking this down. I'll probably only go Stage2 power and was wondering if this clutch is over kill which it may be but in comparison to the SB stage 2 daily/endurance it seems like you're getting much more capability at the same price point. there doesn't seem to be much room for over head based on the torque ratings of the SB stage 2 clutches and I want a one and done clutch swap. This will be my choice one I'm ready to pull the trigger in the upcoming month.

mrd8cd

Ready to race!
As someone who's new to the GTI in general and in need of a clutch, I appreciate you guys breaking this down. I'll probably only go Stage2 power and was wondering if this clutch is over kill which it may be but in comparison to the SB stage 2 daily/endurance it seems like you're getting much more capability at the same price point. there doesn't seem to be much room for over head based on the torque ratings of the SB stage 2 clutches and I want a one and done clutch swap. This will be my choice one I'm ready to pull the trigger in the upcoming month.

Keep us posted on your impressions once you get it installed! I enjoy reading all of the good opinions on this clutch. It'll further solidify my decision to go this route when the time for a new clutch comes.

dub_guy

Ready to race!
This, like if someone were to make a video trying to capture a noise that is drowned out by something else, you wouldn't even be able to hear it.

I already tried to describe it relative to the tons of noise the engine bay already makes by stating that you can't hear it over the noise that's already there.

If you flip back a bit more too I said:

And my experiences with super aggro clutches that chatter like hell:

There is no quieter single mass flywheel option. There is no other option that will be as easy to drive as this with a 660 ft/lbs capacity rating backing it up.

To me, if you have a manual transmission GTI, and you want an actual upgraded clutch set up, this is it.

It's like asking a drowning person if they want to breathe. It's that rhetorical. If you've already decided to spend money on an aftermarket clutch set up and plan on making at least APR S2 power, this clutch setup will hold it forever, laugh about it, be easy to drive, and quieter than the catted downpipe you have to put in to get to S2.

I get what you are saying, but again it comes down to personal preferences. You may not notice a rattle that will drive someone else bat-sh!t nuts. All depends on what you're attuned to.

I drove a Mk6 TDI, so I'm used to a certain type of "rattle". But that rattle is a regular sound with the engine. When I listen to the vids of the Southbend clutch rattle, it is irregular and really stands out.

So while to you, it may be a quiet type of rattle that doesn't bother you, it may be an irregular rattle that stands out to me. I just want to get a hang of what it may sound like so I can understand if it will bother me long term.

As someone said, I think I'll have to find someone with the clutch in my area to get a handle on it.

steddy2112

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE
I get what you are saying, but again it comes down to personal preferences. You may not notice a rattle that will drive someone else bat-sh!t nuts. All depends on what you're attuned to.

I drove a Mk6 TDI, so I'm used to a certain type of "rattle". But that rattle is a regular sound with the engine. When I listen to the vids of the Southbend clutch rattle, it is irregular and really stands out.

So while to you, it may be a quiet type of rattle that doesn't bother you, it may be an irregular rattle that stands out to me. I just want to get a hang of what it may sound like so I can understand if it will bother me long term.

As someone said, I think I'll have to find someone with the clutch in my area to get a handle on it.

Southbend makes single disc, ultra aggressive ceramic and/or sintered metallic clutches that'll make noise no matter what

Also most aftermarket twin discs made by exedy and spec aren't organic discs, so if you look them up online you'll get these horror stories of random noises or clutch chatter that reminds you of a late 90s Ducati.

This is pretty much taking a stock disc(which is actually a damn fine unit mind you) and sandwhiching in with another non-sprung stock disc, with a metal shim between them, and a pressure plate to make it all work.

I've driven OTHER OEM twin-disc cars, including purpose built sports cars that are mostly owned by very old doods who add fluid to their rear differentials because they can't stand the noise of their limited slip actually working in their 505 hp performance oriented vehicle. It's about the same as those cars

or

fuck

better yet...it makes a manual transmission GTI have as much gearbox noise as a DSG GTI.

Does anyone on the forum complain about how much sound a DSG box makes? No? I know you want to see for yourself, and I get that, and I get that people with these cars typically don't want to lose the 'composure' or 'civilty' and you won't. It's not loud, if I had to ask the normal Joe, what was done to my car without me telling them, with it COLD starting in front of him, he'd notice the downpipe and that's probably it.

Don't let the possibility of maybe some noise(that's barely there) stop you from getting a clutch that will actually do what you want it to do. It's worth it in these cars. That's why I am being so adamant about this. It increases everything about the car.

nonegiven

Go Kart Newbie
TTRS if you want dead silent and DMF for $500 total or DKM twin disk if you want the best SMF clutch upgrade for a bit more than twice the price.

Those seem like the only two options that any MK7 owner should consider.

KawaZukiVdub

Go Kart Newbie
People are ordering these clutches... they are backordered on ECS; I swear the price on the kit has risen a bit as well; wasn't it 1200 something? Now it is 1395 on ECS Tuning. Think I'm going to jump on this before the price gets up too SB clutch territories...

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
There's definitely a shortage. I ordered mine 3/11 and still haven't gotten a shipping notification.

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
People are ordering these clutches... they are backordered on ECS; I swear the price on the kit has risen a bit as well; wasn't it 1200 something? Now it is 1395 on ECS Tuning. Think I'm going to jump on this before the price gets up too SB clutch territories...

It was $1295 when they first came out. Then in December they were on sale for 10% off. I got mine for $1200 shipped from UroTuning as they matched the 10% ECS Tuning Sale...but yes, they have gone up now that people know who they are. That's one of the reasons I jumped on this before a tune...I figured if this clutch was all that then it will eventually go up.

-Dutch-

Drag Race Newbie
It was $1295 when they first came out. Then in December they were on sale for 10% off. I got mine for $1200 shipped from UroTuning as they matched the 10% ECS Tuning Sale...but yes, they have gone up now that people know who they are. That's one of the reasons I jumped on this before a tune...I figured if this clutch was all that then it will eventually go up.
BMP Tuning still lists them for $1,295.

Shaggz

Passed Driver's Ed

ive driven SB stage 3, SB stage 2, and dkm stage 3 twin disk now and i must say the dkm has the best feel and is the quietest. with the twin disks being organic you will get more life and higher torque ratings from it. just my .02

TheProfessional

Go Kart Newbie

I ordered mine the last week of December for $1100 shipped, had it two weeks later. Now that the secret is out, price seems to have trended upward and lead time has gotten significantly longer.

DrewB

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 Pure White Sport
There's definitely a shortage. I ordered mine 3/11 and still haven't gotten a shipping notification.

Where did you order from? I noticed ECS site today says backorder where it did not yesterday. Wondering also if I should order sooner than later.