GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Turbo Inlet Pipe

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Just a heads up if you are installing an APR Turbo Inlet Pipe. Don't plan on removing it with this style breather hose. 06K103213B

I was trying to take mine off for a trip to the dealer and it was literally impossible to separate the hose from the pipe. After tugging and prying for probably an hour I resorted to the fact that I was going to need a new breather hose and a warranty on the APR pipe, so I got aggressive. When I really got in there with a flat head and started twisting, instead of the breather hose popping out, the metal coupler literally started pulling itself out of the pipe.

Having nothing left to loose I finished the job and ripped it free. It was not possible to rip the coupler from the hose, and at this point I'd probably cracked the hose under the braiding anyways.

So my car has been in the garage since Saturday waiting for a new breather hose from Shop DAP. Just came this morning and it is a different style of connector. Based on snapping this into my OE turbo inlet pipe and releasing it, this style would probably have released just fine from the APR pipe as it has an easy squeezy release ring. 06K103213A

So just a heads up, don't plan on uninstalling your APR TIP once it is installed. APR and ECS Tuning have been gracious enough to offer me a refund, so I'm just out $80 for the breather tube.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
I wonder if they changed the breather design. I have a 2016 and it has the squeeze type release ring. Very likely this will be an issue with any of the turbo inlets on 2017 models.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
I wonder if they changed the breather design. I have a 2016 and it has the squeeze type release ring. Very likely this will be an issue with any of the turbo inlets on 2017 models.

Good to get confirmation that the squeeze type (A) was used on the GTI. Just when I started making this post I realized the (A) model is listed for the Golf R on ECS tuning and the (B) model for the GTI. I imagine the (B) model was made to be more secure, and it certainly is that LOL!

I would have upgraded to the ECS replacement part, but the whole point of this exersize is for the dealer to suss out a low RPM noise I am having so I wanted everything back to OE.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Thanks a ton for making this thread! Tips like this are super critical to know!

For as much as this forum has given me I am all too happy to give back.

stuntnuts

Go Kart Newbie
What exactly does the APR Turbo Inlet pipe do besides provide APR with a place to advertise within your engine bay?

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
What exactly does the APR Turbo Inlet pipe do besides provide APR with a place to advertise within your engine bay?

Supposedly flows better by removing the restriction of the stock inlet elbow. Supposedly allows you to better hear turbo spool. I noticed neither. Probably makes no difference with an IS20.

Pingers

Ready to race!

Not even that, you can't even see the logo with the inlet hose attached. :D

I bought it and I can tell you its mad gainz. Adds as much as the stocker mod. :cool:

Pingers

Ready to race!
Btw what's your car going to the dealer for? Taking that off for an oil change would seem extreme so I'm assuming you're having some warranty work done.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Btw what's your car going to the dealer for? Taking that off for an oil change would seem extreme so I'm assuming you're having some warranty work done.

I have a low RPM raspy sound I want to get checked out before I install my IE IC and flash tune. Occurs under load in 5th/6th gear and clears up by 1800rpm. I started a thread about it a long time ago and most people just said it sounded like lugging or normal engine sounds. Peace of mind for me to get it checked.

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
The trick is taking a pick tool to break the seal, then twist back and forth laterally until it starts to wiggle off. Mine was a bitch to get off oem tip but my cts tip can barely hold it on. Something tells me it's not on all the way as I can very easily pop off the pcv from the tip with little effort. I have the version without squeezer clip.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
The trick is taking a pick tool to break the seal, then twist back and forth laterally until it starts to wiggle off. Mine was a bitch to get off oem tip but my cts tip can barely hold it on. Something tells me it's not on all the way as I can very easily pop off the pcv from the tip with little effort. I have the version without squeezer clip.

I really didn't have much of a problem popping it off the oem tip. I think it probably has something to do with the lack of bevel on the APR tip coupler. I'd experiment with the pick tool but it's too late now with no leverage. I actually managed to tear a chunk of metal from the coupler off with some locking pliers while trying to rip it free after I was already sunk.

siupo128

Ready to race!
i just installed the cts inlet over the weekend. cant take the hose off the stock inlet pipe too. then i used apry bar and that thing came off easy.

Crud_muffin

Ready to race!
Car(s)
e-Golf
Thanks for the write-up, Demi. I just ordered a new breather hose for somewhat similar reasons. After twisting and yanking the hose off to put on the APR TIP, I'm almost positive the hose was slightly damaged - ever since the install I've had a faint oil smell under certain high-load situations. Member ATR had a similar issue and the breather hose was part of the fix. I'll update with comparison pics and results later.

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20971