GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Focus RS owner looking for thoughts/opinions on switching to a Golf R ...

m0kk

Like the title says, I'm looking for opinions/thoughts/advice on switching from a '17 Focus RS to a '15 or '16 DSG Golf R.

I'm in the "doing my research" phase, but I'm definitely thinking this is the right move. I think I would like an automatic (something I haven't had in 14 years), especially one that isn't a huge compromise. Also, I'd like something that has a little more forgiving ride quality. I don't think the RS is terrible, but I know the Golf R is "more forgiving" in terms of ride quality.

This will simply be a daily driver. I don't visit the track (yet), and I don't auto-x.

Have you gone from an RS to an R? Are you happy with your decision?

Thanks in advance!

Navi

Autocross Champion
It'll be more refined and comfortable but not as fast. My understanding is the differences are only a couple tenths of seconds stock for stock so probably not noticable. Def will feel nicer than an 18k focus interior tho.

tonipepperoni77

Drag Race Newbie
I wouldn’t say not as fast yes manual golf r to Rs but the DSG R vs the RS will be even if not the R beating it out a tad. But yes as I have driven both a lot, the RS is just to harsh for daily use. R is a lot more refined and truly the best all around hatchback at the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

m0kk

Look for the DCC (control how stiff your ride is) when you are looking for a R, so it might change the years you are looking at.

Not that I don't want to do the research, but... any idea what years that's available on? Is it standard on 17, but an option on 15/16?

Is it absolutely necessary, or is it just nice to have?

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
It's not absolutely necessary but it seems everyone who got it is happy with it. If you can find one with it to test drive you should. Unfortunately it's not something you can visually detect from pics so you will have to ask the seller. It's been available from 2015 on.

TorontoDUBBER

Ready to race!
Not that I don't want to do the research, but... any idea what years that's available on? Is it standard on 17, but an option on 15/16?

Is it absolutely necessary, or is it just nice to have?
I'd option it with the adaptive suspension. I have it on my 17 and it is amazing. Derping around on the highway or on rough road driving is great in comfort mode. It feels like a stock TSI. Switching to race mode for aggressive driving gives a stiffer but still quiet and tolerable ride while giving the car handling characteristics expected of its performance class.

I've had mine for 6 months but i have yet to think up any regrets... And I'm the regrets king.

KyleKisstro

Passed Driver's Ed
Get DCC and you will love everything about the car. Manual or DSG both great choice

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
The '16 year added Android Auto / Apple carplay if those are important to you and you're looking at used ones.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Definitely dont get a ‘15, only because they A) didn’t offer Pretoria’s, and B) the infotainment is garbage (source: i have owned 2 ‘15 MK7’s)

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
16-17 R, mib2 over mib1 on the 15s. I don’t know who thinks a stock dsg R is slower than a stock rs? 13.1’s on bone stock dsg R’s, according to car rags, I saw a guy run a 12.9 stock at the drag strip, yes the outlier not the rule, still I was impressed. But a stock rs runs 13.4s assuming person can drive, according to car rags, drivers race between a stock 04 sti. Tune only and you’re in the low 12s in the R some hero runs of 11.9s are all over YouTube etc. And the R is a downright luxury car compared to the rs/sti/evo in ride quality (especially dcc), fit finish, and interior.

veedubfreak

Go Kart Champion
I'd option it with the adaptive suspension. I have it on my 17 and it is amazing. Derping around on the highway or on rough road driving is great in comfort mode. It feels like a stock TSI. Switching to race mode for aggressive driving gives a stiffer but still quiet and tolerable ride while giving the car handling characteristics expected of its performance class.

I've had mine for 6 months but i have yet to think up any regrets... And I'm the regrets king.

The DCC option also got you 19" wheels and navigation on the 2016. I leave mine at normal for suspension, comfort its too squishy for my tastes. Sport will make your kidneys bleed :p