GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf production coming to an end at Mexico

Trancebolt

Ready to race!
German electronics are a nightmare. Which is the most worrisome part of this 'move to german mfg' since i saw someone mention they are doin a new "better" electrics setup. We'll f'cking see.... They overcomplicate the bus network by having too many connection points. Japanese and American systems are much simpler and they seem to offer 90% of the same safety/tech features as Germans do.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
A German built Golf should be no different than the ones built in Mexico. If there is any difference in quality between same models built in different locations, it has to do with VW's internal quality process and not the manufacturing location.

Silkblue16

Passed Driver's Ed
I saw this coming for one reason, the fact that Trump will be pushing to tax cars made in Mexico. I bet you see other auto manufacturers moving around their assembly plants as well.

Think about the number of vehicles VW produces in Mexico. There is no way they could take the hit on those kinds of numbers and still maintain their leadership as the Worlds largest automaker.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-trade-tariff-auto-industry-20170124-story.html

Trancebolt

Ready to race!
A German built Golf should be no different than the ones built in Mexico. If there is any difference in quality between same models built in different locations, it has to do with VW's internal quality process and not the manufacturing location.
True, QC processes should supercede the race of the people doing the work.... that should be comforting but strangley isnt =D

I saw this coming for one reason, the fact that Trump will be pushing to tax cars made in Mexico. I bet you see other auto manufacturers moving around their assembly plants as well.
Wasnt he also going to "stop german imports" too? All presidents say stuff they cant/wont do & vw still is making/will make 3 models in mexico

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
In comparing my German built MKVI to my Mexican built MKVII, I find almost no difference in build quality. What I did find different in "quality" is locally sourced materials like the leather and plastic. The German cows seem more supple and the plastic pieces are less flimsy and cheap feeling. Minor shit.

What really bugs me is the power that the German car manufacturing unions have of things like this. I have done consulting work with a management company that deals with the influence that groups like IG Metall and UAW have over manufacturing, and its kinda scary how they hold the balls of management at German car manufacturers in their steely grip. Once the UAW breaks into German Constitution unions (and they are almost there) it will go from a generally collaborative effort to an adversarial one. In a nutshell, it will mean much higher prices for a similar product that can be made elsewhere. Why do you think BMW builds their most profitable vehicles, ie; SAVs in Spartanburg? No unions=less cost. So get ready to pay that premium for the "premium" label of a German made Golf. I like my Mexi-GTI just fine thank you.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold

And strangely Ford is shifting Focus production completely from US to China in 2019.

True, QC processes should supercede the race of the people doing the work.... that should be comforting but strangley isnt =D

If VW did that, it would be bad on their part.

SM075180

Ready to race!
They are citing quality problems. Interesting. Wonder what kind of data there is too support this

Lol well my current ‘17 is getting lemon law’d if that’s any indicator. Wasn’t put together properly. Check my posts if you wanna read up on why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cW6mT mKviGTi

Ready to race!
I think the Germans may fit the sunroof better. My wife's S3 is as quiet as can be, the GTi's sunroof is another story.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Why are all these threads degenerating into accusations of racism? I think people are reading way too much into things.

If all things are equal and identical in two VW's (quality, price, etc.) and I had to choose where my VW was made, for sure I would choose Germany-- why the hell wouldnt I?? Does that make me racist because it just so happens that VWs are being made in Mexico. I would have the same opinion of wanting my car made in Germany if the car was made in Canada or Finland. But because those countries are predominantly "white", one can't play the race card now-- can you?

And no, I don't need to get into the nitty gritty of the global supply chain of VW. I bought a German car and I like to live in that romantic bubble. I admit there is a significant degree of romanticism involved with that. You can't deny that is a factor for many other consumers as well. Maybe this notion isn't realistic to some, but to me, a VW made in Germany makes it feel more authentic.

If I want to eat authentic Mexican food, I honestly would prefer to have it made by Mexicans and not Koreans. Sorry if that makes me racist. :rolleyes:

volks6

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
If all things are equal and identical in two VW's (quality, price, etc.) and I had to choose where my VW was made, for sure I would choose Germany-- why the hell wouldnt I?? Does that make me racist because it just so happens that VWs are being made in Mexico. I would have the same opinion of wanting my car made in Germany if the car was made in Canada or Finland. But because those countries are predominantly "white", one can't play the race card now-- can you?

Give me facts other than and "emotional" reason as to why you believe a German made VW is superior to a Mexican or Brazilian or even US made one?