GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf production coming to an end at Mexico

SpinKix

Passed Driver's Ed
The MK8 looks to be a major change to a mild hybrid 48v electrical system with electric supercharger, AC, etc.

Seems to be a good choice to iron out the bugs in one location rather than two, especially in light of the dwindling demand for small cars.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
All cars today are international or global. The R I have, while assembled in Germany, has an engine from Hungary. Parts come from all over. There are essentially no cars made, period, that are entirely sourced from one nation. That would limit the quality and flexibility of all cars, as it's pretty much impossible to get everything you want in an assembly process from one nation.

I agree that for whatever reason, people are likely to react more negatively to a car assembled in Mexico than one in Germany, no matter the objective measures of quality. This says more, though, about our prejudices than our judgement. My Fusion Sport from some years ago was assembled in Mexico, and man, it was light years better than any Detroit made Ford I have owned.

Personally, I don't give a rat's ass where my car is assembled, as long as it's what I want and it's defect-free. Robots, which do the lion's share of assembling anyhow, care not one whit where they are.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
TBH I would prefer a German made Golf to Mexican made. Maybe the quality is the same but it's like buying a brand name or label. Feels lame to pay the premium for a "German car" that is made in Mexico. "My car is made in Mexico" is not something I could brag about.

Not really paying a premium on a Golf, are we?

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
All cars today are international or global. The R I have, while assembled in Germany, has an engine from Hungary. Parts come from all over. There are essentially no cars made, period, that are entirely sourced from one nation. That would limit the quality and flexibility of all cars, as it's pretty much impossible to get everything you want in an assembly process from one nation.

I agree that for whatever reason, people are likely to react more negatively to a car assembled in Mexico than one in Germany, no matter the objective measures of quality. This says more, though, about our prejudices than our judgement. My Fusion Sport from some years ago was assembled in Mexico, and man, it was light years better than any Detroit made Ford I have owned.

Personally, I don't give a rat's ass where my car is assembled, as long as it's what I want and it's defect-free. Robots, which do the lion's share of assembling anyhow, care not one whit where they are.
Couldn't have said that better myself.

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
Couldn't have said that better myself.
Nor me. Long is ther car is what you want and it's ok, don't matter where it's nailed together, all factories of a brand need to meet the same standards. Don't surprise me the engine prob isn't made by VW, but it performs ok so who gives one ? (rat's @$$). For example; many French (Citroen, Peugeot, Renault) cars of a similar class are almost identical when viewed up close, as do a few other brands. Manufacturers aren't set up to make common components so outsource; wheels, ignition, electrical systems, etc. Long as your car runs ok I wouldn't sweat where it's made....

Last edited:

volks6

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
I never said the quality itself is worse, just the brand name appeal. When people think of a German made car, they think high end, well engineered, powerful, Porsche, BMW, etc. When they think of a car made in Mexico, what do you think of...? I don't even know of a Mexican car make without googling it.

It's like the Lexus LFA, very fast and well made car but nobody cares about it, it's not a Ferrari.
I love how it's always someone bullshit about "Brand".

Just because a VW is built in Germany doesn't mean it's touched by German hands and it's come magical special thing. It's a FUCKING GOLF.

The robots are… Robots so who gives a fuck.

As for the actual workforce most are Italians (we know how that goes with quality automobile assembly) or Turkish, Hungarian, Polish and of other Eastern European decent.

So your precious "German" made VW is not made by your Super Race of Germans.

Stop with the veiled "German made" bullshit and just come out and say what you really feel.
You are racist and you think Mexican people are inferior and you don't want a Mexican to touch your stuff.

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
I love how it's always someone bullshit about "Brand".

Just because a VW is built in Germany doesn't mean it's touched by German hands and it's come magical special thing. It's a FUCKING GOLF.

The robots are… Robots so who gives a fuck.

As for the actual workforce most are Italians (we know how that goes with quality automobile assembly) or Turkish, Hungarian, Polish and of other Eastern European decent.

So your precious "German" made VW is not made by your Super Race of Germans.

Stop with the veiled "German made" bullshit and just come out and say what you really feel.

You are racist and you think Mexican people are inferior and you don't want a Mexican to touch your stuff.

The only racist here is you ....

Also maybe you should YouTube some videos of VW being made lol.

You must not live in reality. You are either very ignorant or just dismissing the reality of Motorsports history among companies and countries.

Edit: by the way Mexican isn’t a race, it’s a nationality

Latino is a race

Get rekt

Pretty sure I’ve put a few babies in some mexican girls [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

volks6

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
The only racist here is you ....

Also maybe you should YouTube some videos of VW being made lol.

You must not live in reality. You are either very ignorant or just dismissing the reality of Motorsports history among companies and countries.

I'm sure you were writing that with your "Make America Great Again" hat on.

So wait I'm racist? Says the one who has an issue with a Mexican built car.

And WTF does motorsports history have to do with you being racist?

Just pointing out your racism I guess you don't see your stance as racist.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
If I may make an observation, my German built Mk6 had fewer issues and overall felt far more solid going down the road then my Mexican built Mk7. Others may feel differently, but that's my experience. Especially down bumpy Cleveland roads, my Mk6 handled them much better. Also, when I close the door of my Mk7 and the window is anything but all the way up, it sounds hollow and cheap. Mk6, not so. Now location should have nothing to do with this but if it does, change it.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
TBH I would prefer a German made Golf to Mexican made. Maybe the quality is the same but it's like buying a brand name or label. Feels lame to pay the premium for a "German car" that is made in Mexico. "My car is made in Mexico" is not something I could brag about.
I agree, having a VIN number that starts in a "3" is not optimal, I much rather have a VOLKSWAGEN with a VIN number beginning is a big fat W Why? Because it's a Volkswagen and I want to be able to use this extra "Made in Germany" barcode sticker I have but I can't. My Mk6 was Hans, my Mk7 is Jose.

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
I'm sure you were writing that with your "Make America Great Again" hat on.

So wait I'm racist? Says the one who has an issue with a Mexican built car.

And WTF does motorsports history have to do with you being racist?

Just pointing out your racism I guess you don't see your stance as racist.

Where did I say I have a problem with my car made in Mexico? I bought it didn’t I. You are merely a fool and nothing more. Nothing but vitriol is on your tongue. Get off the forum and self crit you racist

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
I guess I'm really confused where they are getting the information that there's a severe issue with Golf product quality and a general sales decline of the Golf.

In terms of overall failures we aren't generally seeing high component failure rates here on the forum, on other forums or places like Reddit. In fact I felt the consensus was that they were pretty reliable. Hell I own two and neither has had any major problems.

In terms of sales decline, maybe nationally there is, but here in they bay area there are TONS of Golf, eGolf and GTIs around. Tons. You can't drive a mile without seeing one. I saw plenty out east on a 2 week trip back to MD/PA/NJ to visit family too.

volks6

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Where did I say I have a problem with my car made in Mexico? I bought it didn’t I. You are merely a fool and nothing more. Nothing but vitriol is on your tongue. Get off the forum and self crit you racist

Love how racists alway call the people that point out their racism racists.

I guess you don't even read what you write. Highlighted it so you see.

Don't blame the messenger for pointing out where your racism come up.