GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 Rust Protection - What Method to Use?

CDM MK7

Ready to race!
Hey guys,

Have a 3 month old 2017 GTI that's approaching it's first harsh winter here in Canada and since this car will be with me for a while, I'm planning on having it treated with some type of rust protection. Whatever method I go with, it will only be applied to the under side of the car as I can't stand rustproofing crap in my engine bay or door jams where they collect dirt and make the car look 10 years older than it is. I can go over those areas myself and apply rustproofing in strategic areas that I'll remove during the summer and re-apply again in the winter.

Anyways, few questions:

1) Should I go with a tar based undercoat for the undercarriage, or a drip oil based product? Experiences with either?

2) Where do these cars generally start rusting first?

Thanks!

tonipepperoni77

Drag Race Newbie
Already has it. I had read in the past that adding your own runs protection to it can void the warranty. Most European cars have damn good rust protection already applied.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CDM MK7

Ready to race!
Wow. Totally did not know that. Saves me the hassle!

Thanks so much for the heads up, guys.

While not 'necessary' you could still improve rust protection even further:

1. fit OE aero undertrays (engine bay, tunnel, rear axle)

2. apply clear coat and wax on certain areas (both subframes, suspension etc)

I've done both of this just for my peace of mind. The engine bay definitely stays
cleaner with the cover beneath. If you plan on doing it do it before coming winter.

;)

CDM MK7

Ready to race!
Thanks guys.

@breaking badly:do you happen to have any links to part #'s or links for those pieces? I pressure wash my engine bay with some light all purpose automotive cleaner during every normal wash, but if I can reduce splash up into the bay I'm all for it.

The entire car is coated with CQuartz Professional including the door jams, but I'll look into something for other exposed areas to make them hydrophobic.

Blaylock1988

Ready to race!
I live in Boston and have come up with the following routine. I use a couple sprays that my dad, a heavy maintenance mechanic for American, said they used for aircraft coating and rust prevention. I also use an alkaline neutralizer for post-storm salt removal.

Rust Inhibitors:

As11 Fluid Film: for lightweight coverage on metal components like screws and bolts that you know you'll touch a couple times a year. This penetrates extremely well and is not unpleasant to look at or touch. Use this on aftermarket parts and hardware (like sway bar links/bolts/mounts) that you install because those don't have as good rust protection as the OEM hardware.

LPS 3 Rust Inhibitor: for permanent exposed metal/panels/parts under the car that need a more durable coverage. This stuff is a beige/brown waxy texture. Better used on non-moving parts, and other undercarriage parts.

I think doing a good pre-winter coating once a year with these sprays is sufficient. I put the car on a lift and spray all exposed bolt heads and speed nuts and other metallic or scraped surfaces. I remove any pre-existing surface rust first with a rust neutralizer spray or naval jelly.

Salt and Alkaline removal:

ValueGuard Alkaline Neutralizer: Spray this on your undercarriage after a winter storm and the salt is no longer on the roads. This will melt the alkaline salt off but can damage paint, and can cause harm if not thoroughly rinsed off. This also depends on the type of road salt that your local area uses. Do your research. I plan to use this in a detergent bottle on my pressure washer with a rolling ground attachment to spray it up onto the undercarriage.

Diluted Vinegar in a spray bottle: this is the cheap method for undercarriage salt removal, but again it depends on the salt your local area uses. Avoid getting this on your paint. Rinse thoroughly after applying. Do your research.

Your local city will post the types of salt they use depending on the snow/ice/temp conditions.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

tonipepperoni77

Drag Race Newbie
Once again. They already come rust protected. Any thing added can and will be used against you if it causes issues for a warranty claim. You do not need to add anything. You are doing no good adding stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
2009 MKV Gti with a rusty hatch corner. Probably due to mis-assembly at the plant. Coverage denied because they can't say a defect caused the rust. Corners (and edges) of doors, hoods, fenders, hatches, etc will always be denied rust warranty because of possible road hazards causing the paint to chip, etc.

I can see where the corner of the hatch rubbed on the bumper cover.......still denied. Plus I'm the 2nd owner, not the original owner.

vincevtr

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
wow canadian here also, i was thinking about rust proofing as well. this thread saved me a couple hundred dollars. i did not know this was a thing, i rmb trying to negotiate rust proofing before buying the car haha