GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 Rust Protection - What Method to Use?

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
D 314d36m2 vw undercoat it is not cheap. Or D 003500. A couple bits of my underseal has came off on jack points also. So I will be getting some of this stuff, it took A lot of research to find this stuff.

Thanks! Does look pricey but I'll probably order one just to have to touch up spots that chip over time.

The factory rust/corrosion warranty is 12 years IIRC. I've never had major issues with rust on any of my VW's. There was a little rust in a couple of spots on my last daily driver, which was an 02 with 188k miles. Dodge cars rust out completely in about 2 years. LOL

I get PPF film on my cars, which helps big time on the hood and fenders since they take hits from rocks and whatnot. I also get the film on parts of the car that most people do not....like the front section of the roof.

Ya, I honestly am not worried about the car overall just that one spot. Bare metal + new england winters + a few years could become an issue.

Get a picture up.

I'll snap a pic tonight. I'm an idiot, it's a solid gash.

BaronGTI68

Passed Driver's Ed
When I removed the passenger side cowl on my '17 to disconnect and remove the Soundaktor, I noted a hole (intentional) in the fender that already had a rust "stain" around it. I forgot about it when I buttoned things up will look at it again in the Spring.

I'm a fan of Fluid Film and used to spray it into the weep holes on the tailgate of my Tundra; I'm convinced that's what kept it from rusting out, a typical issue.

Mikeyd1

Ready to race!
Mine is split all along the jack point on one side about 5 inches long just primer exposed So I've picked all loose stuff of and going to recoat next week so I'll take some before and after pics. My car is only a year old too. I've not had it long and i could get dealer to do it but they will just slap some on where I will take care and clean it properly and coat it

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
Went to the dealer today and they looked at me like I was an alien asking about getting the chipped rustproofing repaired under warranty. Granted the service manager wasn't in but seems like its not something they do in house anyway. Asked the parts guy if they have the VW underseal in stock and the he said he's never heard of it in his 15 years with VW lol he looked up the part number and others relating to the underseal and none were available for purchase from VW. Either discontinued or unavailable.

I could bitch and complain to the service manager when he's in and I'm sure they'll agree to fix it (have had a good experience with this dealer in the past) but they will most likely just send it to a body shop and who knows if they're hacks who will prep/apply it incorrectly.

So, just gonna order the seal myself, watch a few youtube videos to get a clue on how to prep/spray, and give it a go when the weather gets a bit warmer. Plan to touch it up after each winter so its good to know how to do this.

Will update when its done.

Mikeyd1

Ready to race!
Proberly most people couldn't give a crap cause they can't see it so know one buys the stuff. When looking at 2 yo mk7 golf u would be surprised how many have chipped underseal. Ill pick up underseal on Tuesday l let u know how I get on. Did u manage to take a picture of your chipped underseal?