VW R taking the fight to AMG.

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
We won't see anything here!

Mceric01

Ready to race!
How about a revamped awd system to compete with ford and Subaru. The tuned vw engines make the power, they need less understeer and a better fun factor.

1Krautburner

Ready to race!
VW's 4Motion system is never going to compete with an AMG car's rear wheel drive or all wheel drive system.
When we get a 2dr Golf R here with a proper AWD system, and enough stock HP to whip even a Focus RS I'll believe VW is serious.
The R badge is just going to become an add-on package to sell more SUVs.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion

Well, it works for Audi. Was at the Audi dealer yesterday with a colleague who wants to buy an A5 Sportback. Many of the plain-Jane A4s, A3s,and of course tons of the SUVs were tarted up with the S-Line package, which it seems is often the main way to get some options.

It makes a certain sense. Most people like the nicer steering wheels, cabin accents, and seats, as well as some of the external visuals of the go-fast models (and Audis are pretty sedate looking anyhow, so anything helps), but really don't give a rat's ass about what's under the hood, nor would they care about the difference between an A4 and an S4 engine or transmission or anything like that.

VW could stick R-line stuff on models across their portfolio and maybe entice people who view VWs as sort of basic transport.

veedubfreak

Go Kart Champion
It works for every other car company in the US.

Just be happy that we even still get the R. Although according to the dealer I got mine from, its going to become part of the actual lineup, vs only coming ever 4 years. So at least when some dipshit manages to total mine, I'll still be able to buy a new one.

Last edited:

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
It works for every other car company in the US.

Just be happy that we even still get the R. Although according to the dealer I got mine from, its going to become part of the actual lineup, vs only coming ever 4 years. So at least when some dipshit manages to total mine, I'll still be able to buy a new one.

Being hurt in an accident is always my first concern, but I admit I was relieved when the 2017's came out, and included DAP standard.

Spinal

Ready to race!
VW's 4Motion system is never going to compete with an AMG car's rear wheel drive or all wheel drive system.
From what i've read online the A45 AMG hatchback sold in europe uses the same haldex type awd system.

What VW could do is add a front/rear e-diff to the haldex system, I'm sure that would help a lot.

Droopy1

Passed Driver's Ed
How about a revamped awd system to compete with ford and Subaru. The tuned vw engines make the power, they need less understeer and a better fun factor.

Xds+ set to strong. No more understeer. Mild Rear sway helps. I've done track and back road bombs. Xds+ setting helps.

When we get a 2dr Golf R here with a proper AWD system, and enough stock HP to whip even a Focus RS I'll believe VW is serious.
Amg awd for a45 is almost exact same as vw Haldex

FlyGuyDEN

Passed Driver's Ed
I was told that there is an "APR+" tune available for my R with warranty coverage outside VW warranty and this is available at my local VW dealership. $1200 or so to get it done. I'm thinking I might just do it since it would have warranty if something went wrong with the tune.

cb1111

I was told that there is an "APR+" tune available for my R with warranty coverage outside VW warranty and this is available at my local VW dealership. $1200 or so to get it done. I'm thinking I might just do it since it would have warranty if something went wrong with the tune.
Before y'all jump on the APR warranty bandwagon, consider the exclusions to the warranty, specifically;

" If Your Vehicle has had any unauthorized modifications or alterations. Unauthorized modifications include exhaust downpipes, upgraded turbochargers and any non-APR powertrain modifications."

If you add a CAI or drop in K&N filter you may not have an APR warranty.

Further,

"- If Your Vehicle breaks down, take it back to the dealer that you purchased APR Plus from. If this is not possible, take Your Vehicle to any Licensed Repair Facility (You may contact Us by calling 1-800-680-7921 for help in locating a Licensed Repair Facility)."

In other words, don't break down in Montana, eastern Washington state, either of the Dakotas, much of Texas or much of Nebraska or Nevada.

Finally,

"In some cases, You may need to authorize the Licensed Repair Facility to inspect and/or teardown Your Vehicle in order to determine the cause and cost of the repair. You will be responsible for these charges if the failure is not covered under this Limited Warranty. We reserve the right to require an inspection of Your Vehicle prior to any repair being made."

Accordingly, like VW, APR can point the finger at VW and say "they did it, not our problem".

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Before y'all jump on the APR warranty bandwagon, consider the exclusions to the warranty, specifically;

" If Your Vehicle has had any unauthorized modifications or alterations. Unauthorized modifications include exhaust downpipes, upgraded turbochargers and any non-APR powertrain modifications."

If you add a CAI or drop in K&N filter you may not have an APR warranty.

Further,

"- If Your Vehicle breaks down, take it back to the dealer that you purchased APR Plus from. If this is not possible, take Your Vehicle to any Licensed Repair Facility (You may contact Us by calling 1-800-680-7921 for help in locating a Licensed Repair Facility)."

In other words, don't break down in Montana, eastern Washington state, either of the Dakotas, much of Texas or much of Nebraska or Nevada.

Finally,

"In some cases, You may need to authorize the Licensed Repair Facility to inspect and/or teardown Your Vehicle in order to determine the cause and cost of the repair. You will be responsible for these charges if the failure is not covered under this Limited Warranty. We reserve the right to require an inspection of Your Vehicle prior to any repair being made."

Accordingly, like VW, APR can point the finger at VW and say "they did it, not our problem".

I believe Arin posted you can install an APR intake, but is he authorized to state that? Is he an owner? If it's true, why isn't it stated in the warranty, say, under an authorized parts section? Makes me skeptical. And won't you need to pay for a rental car while they figure out if they'll pay and repair your car? Make sure you have trip interruption reimbursement on your credit card.