GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY MIB1 to MIB2 Infotainment Conversion (Part 1)

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
So I could potentially install the 8" MIB2.5 screen and just use that until I am able to get some time with him to do the ODIS work?

Current setup is MIB1 from a 15' R.

For a MIB2 8" screen yes. The screen will look like this, but the unit will function. I would recommend you also do the USB cable install when you do the display swap as the display needs to come out when this is done. When you are ready for Jack, swap in the head unit, have VAS 5054 and Jack can get everything working properly.

You brought up MIB2.5 into the conversation when the conversation was dealing with MIB1 to MIB2 retrofit and doing it in stages. Just do not want to confuse anyone.

Attachments

• Display with MIB1 Head.jpg
    Display with MIB1 Head.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 355
Last edited:

CorporateASH

Finally got the head unit in today. Figured I’d go out to the car and test all the components together while I wait on my VAS cable from China. It’s such a huge upgrade. Tried to run the new aux/usb cable but after probably a solid 45 minutes of not getting anywhere, I’ve given up. I know it’s been discussed in here multiple times, but there’s nothing easy about running that cable yourself. Woof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
Tried to run the new aux/usb cable but after probably a solid 45 minutes of not getting anywhere, I’ve given up. I know it’s been discussed in here multiple times, but there’s nothing easy about running that cable yourself. Woof.

Try putting a flash light where the head unit would be pointed towards the display. Then from the display side take your coat hanger or Romex house wire or whatever you use and try to fish it toward the light (to find passage). Once you get it through then take electrical tape and attach Aux cable to Romex house wire and pull through. If that does not work then do the opposite from the opposite side going from head unit area to display. I removed the side panel so I could get a straight shot to the display. Not easy, but it is a doable do. I recently installed a head unit in a 3 series BMW. Running cable was even a smaller clearance then GTI, the light trick really helped.

txricancarguy

Gearhead
If the new MIB2 you swapped already has the FEC for CarPlay enables, do I have to pay for it?

CorporateASH

Try putting a flash light where the head unit would be pointed towards the display. Then from the display side take your coat hanger or Romex house wire or whatever you use and try to fish it toward the light (to find passage). Once you get it through then take electrical tape and attach Aux cable to Romex house wire and pull through. If that does not work then do the opposite from the opposite side going from head unit area to display. I removed the side panel so I could get a straight shot to the display. Not easy, but it is a doable do. I recently installed a head unit in a 3 series BMW. Running cable was even a smaller clearance then GTI, the light trick really helped.

I’ll give this a shot during my next attempt. Thanks!

Rmzhrb

Passed Driver's Ed

I second that. I spent a long time looking for a way to fish the wire. As soon as I used the light trick I was done in seconds. There’s an easy route in just have to find it. If I remember correctly it was towards the back in the area under the 2 vents.

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
If the new MIB2 you swapped already has the FEC for CarPlay enables, do I have to pay for it?

Yes. When you swap it in, component protection will activate. The mib2 unit will not produce any signal to the speakers. You'll be able to use the mib2 carplay. When you remove that component protection, you'll lose the carplay. To enable it, jack or similar will have to install the appropriate fecs, requiring you to pay for the activation.

txricancarguy

Gearhead
Weird thing for you all. Specifically because I have a Fender amp.

Is it normal that Bluetooth calls work just fine despite CP?

txricancarguy

Gearhead
It's been a while since i had my unit first installed, but i believe that's normal for the bt phone functions to still work. nothing else will i believe.

The specifically odd thing that I find is that it’s working even though I have a Fender MIB1 amp

I haven’t coded anything.

Rmzhrb

Passed Driver's Ed
Did you end up having to code it in?

I bought an mib2 amp. Had dealership remove CP and enable everything except for NAV and CarPlay (while I impatiently waited for Jack). A few weeks after that, had Jack enable those.

txricancarguy

Gearhead
So. Went to the dealer and had them remove CP for me.

Also, sound works just fine from my Fender amp despite having MIB2.5 8” screen and brain. Haven’t coded a thing.

So. A dealer could just theoretically just add CarPlay for me?