GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY MIB1 to MIB2 Infotainment Conversion (Part 1)

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
Guys,

Questions are:

1. Did the Sound System (aka fender amp) also get fried and needs replacing or is the CP on the 5F preventing it from being accessed... Is it common to get that Sound System unreachable error when CP is activated on 5F-Infotainment?

2. I have VCDS 19 and an older asian copy of ODIS (4.4.10) with a 5054A adapter i got online a while back. Will this be enough for me to have one of these remote online sources remove CP and program my unit w/ all original capabilities? I am very familiar with VCDS (been using since mkiv jetta), but virtually no experience with ODIS.

I do not recall having difficulty accessing amp when component protection was activated of new MIB. I would look at the settings of the new MIB1 in vagcom and make sure they reflect the same coding you had in your original. Since you are familiar with vagcom, hopefully you did a scan (rosstech/vcds/scans folder) sometime before the problem so you can access the old coding and paste into new unit. Based on my experience, I find it more likely that the 5F (head unit) is coded incorrectly then fender amp damage. I too thought I fried my fender amp only to find it was coding.

Older version should work as long it allows Jack to access your car remotely.

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
Guess it's time for me to get serious about wrapping up this project. I have the deck, the cables & adapters, the correct USB plug & what turns out to be access to a fully functional (though retired) vas5054a kit. Just need to gain access to the man, the myth, the legend himself to get everything coded up. Though the car is my daily; it's not my only. I just don't want to swap everything out & have to wait for him to be contactable. Got some vaca coming up to the use-or-lose point; might just have to take some time off & get to stalkin' him on Skype...

Get to it:). You do not need a spare car. The easiest part of the install is swapping the head unit. Takes less then 5 minutes once you have done one. After everything is installed (cable, display, head unit), if Jack is not available just swap back in your old head unit. The screen will look compressed (see last pic in my original post), but the unit will be fully functional.

Sc629

Go Kart Newbie
Guys,

Been following this thread last few days and have few questions. i am actually trying replace my damaged mib1 unit w/ used mib1 unit. i have loaded tdi sel w/ mib1, nav and fender audio, parktroniic, etc. one of my battery cells went bad few weeks ago and fried my mib1 in process. battery was replaced and radio would not work. VCDS scan came back with "5F-Information Electr. -- Status: Cannot be reached 0100" and I noticed that sound system (aka fender amp) did not even show in list anymore. had some other errors but all appeared related to the 5F missing. located a used mb1 on ebay w/ same model (5G0 035 876).. replacement went fine and unit visually comes up correctly incl. nav but no sound or parktronic info and component protection warning. re-running VCDS, i get component protection error on control unit and infotainment. also, the sound system is now showing back up, but i get the "47-Sound System -- Status: Cannot be reached 0100".

Questions are:

1. Did the Sound System (aka fender amp) also get fried and needs replacing or is the CP on the 5F preventing it from being accessed... Is it common to get that Sound System unreachable error when CP is activated on 5F-Infotainment?

2. I have VCDS 19 and an older asian copy of ODIS (4.4.10) with a 5054A adapter i got online a while back. Will this be enough for me to have one of these remote online sources remove CP and program my unit w/ all original capabilities? I am very familiar with VCDS (been using since mkiv jetta), but virtually no experience with ODIS.

Basically, I am trying to avoid to go to dealer, but if I have to go... I only want to go once. Any help very much appreciated.

Check the 5f coding for fender (byte 11 iirc). Also you may have triggered CP for the amp also which could be another cause

SargeMKVI

Semper Fi!
Car(s)
2010 GTI
Gents,

I have a 2017 Mib2 brain, and 6 1/2" screen for sale. Youll need the CP to be taken off. This is non nav. $225 shipped or Ill do 325 with the new surround and vents. You can use your mib1 with this setup, so the surround isnt needed.

CorporateASH

Hey everyone! First time posting here, but I've been following this for a while. I've finally got all the parts incoming and I'm excited! Would someone mind dropping me a pm with Jack's Skype (or someone else who would be willing to do what he does) so I can start a conversation?

Thanks!

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
Hey everyone! First time posting here, but I've been following this for a while. I've finally got all the parts incoming and I'm excited! Would someone mind dropping me a pm with Jack's Skype (or someone else who would be willing to do what he does) so I can start a conversation?

Thanks!

Jack's Skype is jacekk993 which will come up as Jack Kirry in Poland. I did not put his Skype info in the original post per Jack's request. He later told someone on the forum that it was alright to provide.

hooville

Go Kart Newbie
Finally got the MIB2 unit installed in the Sportwagen and Jack had it programmed last Friday in about 2 hrs! Wife is stoked to have CarPlay and a larger screen, but I think her favorite feature so far is that it stays on after she shuts the car off.

Total outlay was $670, which seems typical from what I've seen in this and other threads. I rented a VAS cable from a forum member and that saved me a bit and found the hardware locally at a recycler.

Kudos to George for blazing the trail and to everyone else who contributed the rest of the pieces that made this possible: We were literally poised to purchase a 2016 TDI Sportwagen as soon as they became available and then Dieselgate... But now another 2016 TDI is unleashed upon the world!!! Bwahahaha!

DucMike

Car(s)
R32 -> Mk6 GTI
Total outlay was $670, which seems typical from what I've seen in this and other threads. I rented a VAS cable from a forum member and that saved me a bit and found the hardware locally at a recycler.
Does this total include hardware, VAS rental & Jack's fees? If so; not too bad at all...

CorporateASH

Jack's Skype is jacekk993 which will come up as Jack Kirry in Poland. I did not put his Skype info in the original post per Jack's request. He later told someone on the forum that it was alright to provide.

Thanks! I messaged him on Saturday but he hasn’t responded yet. I’m excited to get this thing rolling!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sopskysalat

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi, Can someone advise how I can upgrade my current info entertainment unit to this? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32851111370.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.78cd4d3duTCSFO&algo_pvid=ea325fa8-3047-4b0e-b850-d2632dd72e13&algo_expid=ea325fa8-3047-4b0e-b850-d2632dd72e13-1&btsid=b2ef424e-0b2f-4e2b-8d06-cb8ef1789eea&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_8,searchweb201603_60

My current unit is 6.5" composition colour (2018 model) which probably belongs to MIB2.5 series. I have one CD player inside glovebox and 6.5" unit. Not sure how the wiring like but from VW electrical wiring diagram, it doesn't seem to tell me how the two are connected except it shows the harness connector and aerial connector are connected directly to back of 6.5" unit. If anyone has this and upgraded or someone who knows, please advise. Thank you

image hosting

image hosting

hooville

Go Kart Newbie
Does this total include hardware, VAS rental & Jack's fees? If so; not too bad at all...

Sorry for the slow response, been crazy at work this week! Yes, that's everything OTD. I've been collecting parts for a few months, and decided not to go with NAV since CarPlay and/or Android Auto would be updated constantly vs VW maps on an SD Card. That made it easier and cheaper to find hardware. Got the USB Port/Harness from Ali Express, display & head unit from a local recycler. Using a 6.5" display saved on buying the trim/vent as well as being more reasonable than the 8" Discover.

That being said, the full-on Discover suite would have been pretty...sweet! :D
My experience contacting Jack was that he didn't respond to any of my texts but was aware of them, and when I texted at 4:30am EST he answered and was ready to do his thing right then so I think it's luck as much as anything. To be ready he needs a pic of the sticker on the head unit, and he'll give you instructions & links to software to download & install. I gave him the VIN of the donor car also, but that could be moot since the S/N of the head unit is likely tied to a specific vehicle.

There are a lot of us that want this upgrade, and he's a one man show so my hat is off to him!

Sc629

Go Kart Newbie
Hi, Can someone advise how I can upgrade my current info entertainment unit to this? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/328...chweb0_0,searchweb201602_8,searchweb201603_60

My current unit is 6.5" composition colour (2018 model) which probably belongs to MIB2.5 series. I have one CD player inside glovebox and 6.5" unit. Not sure how the wiring like but from VW electrical wiring diagram, it doesn't seem to tell me how the two are connected except it shows the harness connector and aerial connector are connected directly to back of 6.5" unit. If anyone has this and upgraded or someone who knows, please advise. Thank you

image hosting

image hosting

This is the all in one system on 2018+ S models. SE and above get the MIB2 or MIB2.5 system. There are guides on how to retrofit MIB2.5 to the S models so you would likely work backwards

txricancarguy

Gearhead
Get to it:). You do not need a spare car. The easiest part of the install is swapping the head unit. Takes less then 5 minutes once you have done one. After everything is installed (cable, display, head unit), if Jack is not available just swap back in your old head unit. The screen will look compressed (see last pic in my original post), but the unit will be fully functional.

So I could potentially install the 8" MIB2.5 screen and just use that until I am able to get some time with him to do the ODIS work?

Current setup is MIB1 from a 15' R.