GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

List of changes for 2017?

Hotfart

Ready to race!
I'm in love with my 2 door GTI @ 5K miles, but it's taking everything in me to convince myself not to trade in my 2016 S-trim (without performance pack) for a new 2017 Sport. I hate that VW no longer offers 2 door models stateside, but I've been beating myself up for not waiting and finding a 2 door with the performance pack.

To my point: I think I remember a thread dedicated to all the changes, both big and small, for the 2017 models. For example, I think I remember hearing the glovebox no longer has a lock, and there were some changes to the MIB. I tried searching left and right, but couldn't find the thread. Maybe I'm just imagining the existence of said thread? If so, perhaps here would be a good place to start a list...

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
You'll probably not get what your present car is worth. I would consider upgrading the brakes and get a real LSD.

Eury

Passed Driver's Ed
You will take a bath on it, figure on losing $6k-$10k trading in or selling yours. Much cheaper to roll your own and upgrade the brakes and lsd on your own.

Hotfart

Ready to race!
You'll probably not get what your present car is worth. I would consider upgrading the brakes and get a real LSD.

I figure I'd be looking at around $6K in upgrades if I kept mine and wanted to emulate the performance pack. $3K for LSD (since I might as well do a clutch at the same time, plus labor), $2K or so for front and rear PP brakes, then $800-ish for good summer tires (which IIRC are a free option when ordering a GTI). Not to mention warranty issues with the work, and also the OEM lighting package is quite a bit better than my Helix replicas.

I hear you though, it probably wasn't the greatest decision on my part to not hold out for exactly what I wanted. While I much prefer the 2-door, having a 4-door is something I could definitely live with, and the LSD/brakes would quickly help me get over not having a 2 door.

Hotfart

Ready to race!
You will take a bath on it, figure on losing $6k-$10k trading in or selling yours. Much cheaper to roll your own and upgrade the brakes and lsd on your own.

Yep, unfortunately I'd be taking a hit. I got mine fairly cheap though @ $21.5K, so I'm hoping it wouldn't be crushing. I'm just starting to seriously consider things, and haven't even talked to the dealer yet to see where I stand.

Hotfart

Ready to race!
Do you track your car?

I don't see much 'need' for a performance pack out in Kansas.

IMO, nobody has a *need* for a performance pack, no matter where you live ;) If you need it for public roads, you're probably driving way too fast in uncontrolled environments :) For the track? That's a different story. But either way, it's certainly *nice* to have!

I haven't tracked it yet, but would like to get out maybe once or twice a year for a track day or HDPE. It's been many years since I've done any track events and I'm starting to itch. One of my old cars was FWD with an aftermarket clutch-type LSD, and it was incredible, especially on the track. LOVE the way LSDs put power down in corners versus an open diff.

But anyways, back on point, anyone know if I'm just going senile by thinking there was a list out there of all the little changes for 2017?

AKF427

Ready to race!
It'd be cheaper to keep the 2dr, & maintain it as pristinely as possible. Then sell it in 25 yrs....and hope VW doesn't bring 2dr back or Scirocco (sic) Stateside.

mesaboogie18

Ready to race!
Patterned steering wheel.

Attachments

• 14690916_10202078155951958_7369431290340635350_n.jpg
    14690916_10202078155951958_7369431290340635350_n.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 545

Hotfart

Ready to race!
It'd be cheaper to keep the 2dr, & maintain it as pristinely as possible. Then sell it in 25 yrs....and hope VW doesn't bring 2dr back or Scirocco (sic) Stateside.

Haha, I'll probably be dead in 25 years.

I get that it would cost me some money...exactly how much is TBD. Hell, I might talk myself out of it anyways. But for now, I'm just curious about what's different about the 17's.

ManInTheClouds

Ready to race!
IMO, nobody has a *need* for a performance pack, no matter where you live ;) If you need it for public roads, you're probably driving way too fast in uncontrolled environments :) For the track? That's a different story. But either way, it's certainly *nice* to have!

I haven't tracked it yet, but would like to get out maybe once or twice a year for a track day or HDPE. It's been many years since I've done any track events and I'm starting to itch. One of my old cars was FWD with an aftermarket clutch-type LSD, and it was incredible, especially on the track. LOVE the way LSDs put power down in corners versus an open diff.

But anyways, back on point, anyone know if I'm just going senile by thinking there was a list out there of all the little changes for 2017?

A PP GTI goes around a track 1.5secs faster than one without.

If you're carving canyon roads out there in Kansas, it will be totally worth it. If you're driving roads drawn on graphing paper, then I'm not so sure.

Hotfart

Ready to race!
A PP GTI goes around a track 1.5secs faster than one without.

If you're carving canyon roads out there in Kansas, it will be totally worth it. If you're driving roads drawn on graphing paper, then I'm not so sure.

You might be surprised, the entirety of Kansas isn't pancake flat. Not to mention, I do venture beyond my home state from time to time. I've daily'ed, autocrossed, and tracked a FWD with LSD before (which was installed when the clutch was changed, so I knew it well before & after LSD). The difference was quite substantial and really changed the character of the car. Anyways, it was my idiot mistake for being in a hurry and not getting the performance pack in the first place.