GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

BFI Stage 3 issues

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
Lol, which one did you go with?

HS Tuning RSR Clutch Kit
Link?

I'm realizing something here. Even with a replacement clutch, the problem will most likely return. If this is a manufacturing issue and several others have it the likelihood that it has been corrected is slim to none. Mk7 gti's are a small market compared to evos, hondas and all the others. They probably have not sold enough of the clutches to get enough feedback to properly re-engineer the clutch.

Now I am wondering if there is anyway to simply get a refund and get something else.

Also the chattering has gotten ridiculous and oddly enough it also doesn't always chatter. There are times it's quiet as hell. Very weird.

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
Probably all due to the TOB and/or PP.. this would cause the chatter and bad release since it's not disengaging.

GTIManEG

Ready to race!
Link?

I'm realizing something here. Even with a replacement clutch, the problem will most likely return. If this is a manufacturing issue and several others have it the likelihood that it has been corrected is slim to none. Mk7 gti's are a small market compared to evos, hondas and all the others. They probably have not sold enough of the clutches to get enough feedback to properly re-engineer the clutch.

Now I am wondering if there is anyway to simply get a refund and get something else.

Also the chattering has gotten ridiculous and oddly enough it also doesn't always chatter. There are times it's quiet as hell. Very weird.

http://www.hstuning.com/product_info.php?cPath=15_18&products_id=3888

This clutch is so nice, because it uses your stock flywheel, the car sounds stock and the pedal is nowhere as heavy.

Ya after BFI wanted to changed the brake fluid out to Racing fluid I was done.

nonegiven

Go Kart Newbie
Link?

Good thinking. Best to get a full refund from BFI along with payment for the labor to replace their defective clutch and go with something like the RSR, SRE or 6GT.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
HS tuning RSR is a stock clutch. I'm sorry a few of you have had issues but in defense of BFI consider these two things: 1) BFI and HS Tuning are both very small shops (I've personally been to both and Neither manufacturer anything...simply retail parts and BFI outsources some machine shop work (motor mounts/shift knobs/etc). HS doesn't even do that. Just sell OEM and APR branded parts.
2) because neither manufacturers the clutch kits they sell you're not dealing with them per say, they're the middle man. BFI clutch kits are made by Competition Clutch (big company, look them up) and HS's "RSR" is Audi TT parts

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Good thinking. Best to get a full refund from BFI along with payment for the labor to replace their defective clutch and go with something like the RSR, SRE or 6GT.

You're comparing apples to oranges. BFI is SMF with a ceramic friction material on the disk & higher clamping force on the pressure plate. SBC and Clutch Masters sell comparable clutches to this. RSR & SRE are just OEM parts you can order individually from your dealer if you want. Slight improvement over stock but no where near the holding power of a "stage 3" clutch.

Now that we're talking about friction materials and pressure plates there is such a thing as buying too much clutch. Not having enough power and more specifically torque on an aggressive ceramic clutch can cause issues (slipping) because the material relies on heat to fully bite the flywheel & pressure plate. This light slipping could be causing your "welded" situation

GTIManEG

Ready to race!
HS tuning RSR is a stock clutch. I'm sorry a few of you have had issues but in defense of BFI consider these two things: 1) BFI and HS Tuning are both very small shops (I've personally been to both and Neither manufacturer anything...simply retail parts and BFI outsources some machine shop work (motor mounts/shift knobs/etc). HS doesn't even do that. Just sell OEM and APR branded parts.
2) because neither manufacturers the clutch kits they sell you're not dealing with them per say, they're the middle man. BFI clutch kits are made by Competition Clutch (big company, look them up) and HS's "RSR" is Audi TT parts

You're comparing apples to oranges. BFI is SMF with a ceramic friction material on the disk & higher clamping force on the pressure plate. SBC and Clutch Masters sell comparable clutches to this. RSR & SRE are just OEM parts you can order individually from your dealer if you want. Slight improvement over stock but no where near the holding power of a "stage 3" clutch.

Now that we're talking about friction materials and pressure plates there is such a thing as buying too much clutch. Not having enough power and more specifically torque on an aggressive ceramic clutch can cause issues (slipping) because the material relies on heat to fully bite the flywheel & pressure plate. This light slipping could be causing your "welded" situation

O boy where to start.

1) Don't care who make the kit or product it can be the homeless guy at the end of a street. Spend a grand on a item and it better work.

2)The housing of the pressure plate may be stock but the internals are not.

3) When you don't fact check you look like a fanboy. The BFI does not hold more then the HS, in FACT the HS is ratted for more. S3 450, HS 480.

4) Iv'e had the pleasure of owning the BFI Stage 3 kit (that's a joke the kits fucking sucks) for 10k miles and when I had my car on the dyno with the IS38, the clutch slipped. This was after 800miles of break in, all was stop and go traffic.

freshpots

r'zub n t'zug
Car(s)
'22 GTI, '19 GT350R
O boy where to start.

1) Don't care who make the kit or product it can be the homeless guy at the end of a street. Spend a grand on a item and it better work.

3) When you don't fact check you look like a fanboy. The BFI does not hold more then the HS, in FACT the HS is ratted for more. S3 450, HS 480.

4) Iv'e had the pleasure of owning the BFI Stage 3 kit (that's a joke the kits fucking sucks) for 10k miles and when I had my car on the dyno with the IS38, the clutch slipped. This was after 800miles of break in, all was stop and go traffic.

Yeah basically this. I spent some good coin on this clutch and I'm not entirely happy with it - but I am fairly happy with it.

I gave this clutch nearly 1000km of break in before even getting into boost. Half of this was city driving. The clutch was installed by a VW Master Mechanic, at the dealership that I worked at at the time, and I watched the whole thing.

I have put maybe 20 solid hours of abuse, like hard abuse at various racetracks... And I have to say, it feels incredible. I genuinely love the way the pedal feels, I love how it engages, I love how it chatters. What I don't love is the stupid little issue I have every once in a while where it wont come out of first.

The clutch doesn't slip and all in all, it feels great and I would recommend the hell out of it IF BFI/Competition Clutch fixes whatever is wrong with it.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
O boy where to start.

First off no need to get all shitty with me. Nobody likes a internet tough guy. I never said you should spend $1000 on something that doesn't work, but nobody has any evidence of what caused the problem anyway.

Second, why is there a list of parts on this site to piece together a diy RSR KIT ON THIS SITE then?
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18913
You paid almost double for someone to pick out OEM parts for you if you have an RSR. If you understand how a clutch works or how they're made you'd know they didn't "swap internals". Nobody is cutting up Audi TT OEM pressure plates lol

I don't give a shit if the RSR is rated for 100,000ft lbs it's not holding more than a ceramic disk (they can over or under rate whatever they want). I've changed plenty of clutches personally to know what holds and what doesn't. My personal truck makes enough power that under certain situations it'll slip my 600hp/1000ft lbs rated ceramic clutch and this is my second one with that rating. The first one ripped all of the friction material off one side of the plate after 60,000 miles or so. Gotta pay to play and know what your working with.

Last edited:

freshpots

r'zub n t'zug
Car(s)
'22 GTI, '19 GT350R
First off no need to get all shitty with me. Nobody likes a internet tough guy. I never said you should spend $1000 on something that doesn't work, but nobody has any evidence of what caused the problem anyway.

Second, why is there a list of parts on this site to piece together a diy RSR KIT ON THIS SITE then?
You paid almost double for someone to pick out OEM parts for you if you have an RSR. If you understand how a clutch works or how they're made you'd know they didn't "swap internals". Nobody is cutting up OEM pressure plates lol

I don't give a shit if the RSR is rated for 100,000ft lbs it's not holding more than a ceramic disk (they can over or under rate whatever they want). I've changed plenty of clutches personally to know what holds and what doesn't. My personal truck makes enough power that under certain situations it'll slip my 600hp/1000ft lbs rated ceramic clutch and this is my second one with that rating. The first one ripped all of the friction material off one side of the plate after 60,000 miles or so. Gotta pay to play and know what your working with.

i kinda agree with this dude.

You paid almost double for someone to pick out OEM parts for you if you have an RSR. If you understand how a clutch works or how they're made you'd know they didn't "swap internals". Nobody is cutting up Audi TT OEM pressure plates lol

Any pics of the BFI that came off your car

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
If I had a BFI stage 3 on my car it wouldn't be coming off. But that is what I'm replacing mine with unless someone here can show me manufacturing flaws to sway me otherwise

Ceramic disk clutches are not for the faint of heart or non car guy who just so happens to own a gti. If chatter and a aggressive pedal isn't for you don't bother looking at anything ceramic or even Kevlar.

Sorry if you feel like this shit is specific to mk7s, it's not. A performance clutch is what it is no matter what the application. End of the day is full ceramic is as aggressive as it gets