GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Burger Tuning JB4 Golf 1.8TSI MQB specific information thread

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
It's just how they make their sauce it seems. The dyno and track numbers say they aren't wrong. I think they know their tunes will go in to a lot of cars so I doubt they are actually unsafe.

With that said, I want to start playing with E30 but it's a little frustrating with a APR tune because of the low timing. I would prefer to stack JB4 with UNI when messing with E-Blends.

interesting im getting 16.5 timing at 6k RPM, ill try aiming for higher... i just dont understand how APR 91 oct tune IS20 peaks at like 12 IGN timing, why do they sacrifice timing for boost?

llibgrebnek

Ready to race!
It's just how they make their sauce it seems. The dyno and track numbers say they aren't wrong. I think they know their tunes will go in to a lot of cars so I doubt they are actually unsafe.

With that said, I want to start playing with E30 but it's a little frustrating with a APR tune because of the low timing. I would prefer to stack JB4 with UNI when messing with E-Blends.

As cylinder pressure increases (due to boost or static compression ratio), MBT spark decreases. So the APR with higher boost won’t necessarily benefit from (and may suffer) higher ignition advance in conjunction with very high boost

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
As cylinder pressure increases (due to boost or static compression ratio), MBT spark decreases. So the APR with higher boost won’t necessarily benefit from (and may suffer) higher ignition advance in conjunction with very high boost

Any experience or insight on how the APR tunes will react to E Blends then? I've read about ethanol burning cooler, but not sure if there is enough benefit at the 30 percent level.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Any experience or insight on how the APR tunes will react to E Blends then? I've read about ethanol burning cooler, but not sure if there is enough benefit at the 30 percent level.

The ethanol will allow it to run at its ideal timing. So it won't add power so to say, but it will allow you to make the maximum power from the tune. What does that mean? You will most likely notice it. Ian from MA Performance dynoed their shop car that is APR tuned. It made more power with some ethanol. There is also more room in the is20 and is38 though as far as boost if you did want to explore with a stack. Even a little bit more in the is12. I've ran 24 psi on the is12 with e30 and the stock timing curve. I know a few guys that pushed the is20 to 28 and the is38 to 30 on APR stacked.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I think I may be out of room in the boost dept because of my stock DP. With IATs in the 70s, I can get 24.5 PSI just after 4000 RPM to 20 psi at 6000 on just the tune (APR IS20 91 oct). I couldn't pull the boost up more than 1 PSI with MAP 6 even though I had higher absolute targets. I think the boost curve is already pretty aggressive for stock DP, so I'm doing efficiency mods like turbo blanket and IC next.

I will try to do some E30 testing just for science though.

The ethanol will allow it to run at its ideal timing. So it won't add power so to say, but it will allow you to make the maximum power from the tune. What does that mean? You will most likely notice it. Ian from MA Performance dynoed their shop car that is APR tuned. It made more power with some ethanol. There is also more room in the is20 and is38 though as far as boost if you did want to explore with a stack. Even a little bit more in the is12. I've ran 24 psi on the is12 with e30 and the stock timing curve. I know a few guys that pushed the is20 to 28 and the is38 to 30 on APR stacked.

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
I think I may be out of room in the boost dept because of my stock DP. With IATs in the 70s, I can get 24.5 PSI just after 4000 RPM to 20 psi at 6000 on just the tune (APR IS20 91 oct). I couldn't pull the boost up more than 1 PSI with MAP 6 even though I had higher absolute targets. I think the boost curve is already pretty aggressive for stock DP, so I'm doing efficiency mods like turbo blanket and IC next.

I will try to do some E30 testing just for science though.

Did I miss why you would be doing a blanket/IC before something as simple as a downpipe?

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Did I miss why you would be doing a blanket/IC before something as simple as a downpipe?
NYS annual inspection. If I found a set it and forget it combination I would do DP. I don't want to deal with CELs or reflashing and praying before inspection.

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
NYS annual inspection. If I found a set it and forget it combination I would do DP. I don't want to deal with CELs or reflashing and praying before inspection.

i too have state inspections in PA and i havent had any CEL issues with my Baun/GTI Jake DP in 1k miles of operation... catted dp with o2 spacer included!

llibgrebnek

Ready to race!

There is some power benefit directly from ethanol addition in the form of load contraction — the volume of air-fuel charge is cooled by ethanol and actually shrinks a bit. That results in the ability to add even more air into the cylinder, which means more power.

This is one reason why direct injection engines can make so much power on lower octane fuel. The latent heat of the gasoline provides load contraction to enable more efficient cylinder filling.

Add to that the octane enhancement of E30 on93 AKI and you have the recipe for MBT spark and great power.

khng

How is this Map 6 configuration for 91 octane IS20?

1500 - 16.0
2000 - 16.0
2500 - 16.5
3000 - 16.5
3500 - 17.0
4000 - 17.5
4500 - 18.0
5000 - 18
5500 - 17.5
6000 - 17
6500 - 16.5
7000 - 16

Fuel Bias - 100
Boost Failsafe PSI - 20.0
FOL - 80
6-cyl timing - 1

Is this too aggressive?

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
This is my first log on MAP 0 (APR IS20 91 oct) with E30 in the tank. Had some serious boost control issues. This is MAP 0 so its likely not the JB4's fault. Hopefully someone has an idea of what may be happening so I can continue to experiment with E30. It was my only pull today so I'm not sure if the same thing would happen again. Car drives well when not flooring it. I have about 50 miles on the tank now.

https://datazap.me/u/zumble/apr-is20-e30?log=0&data=1-2-3-4-11-18-25-26-27-28

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
How is this Map 6 configuration for 91 octane IS20?

1500 - 16.0
2000 - 16.0
2500 - 16.5
3000 - 16.5
3500 - 17.0
4000 - 17.5
4500 - 18.0
5000 - 18
5500 - 17.5
6000 - 17
6500 - 16.5
7000 - 16

Fuel Bias - 100
Boost Failsafe PSI - 20.0
FOL - 80
6-cyl timing - 1

Is this too aggressive?

It might be OK. Log it and see what the timing is doing. 91 is not great, but better than 87

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
This is my first log on MAP 0 (APR IS20 91 oct) with E30 in the tank. Had some serious boost control issues. This is MAP 0 so its likely not the JB4's fault. Hopefully someone has an idea of what may be happening so I can continue to experiment with E30. It was my only pull today so I'm not sure if the same thing would happen again. Car drives well when not flooring it. I have about 50 miles on the tank now.

https://datazap.me/u/zumble/apr-is20-e30?log=0&data=1-2-3-4-11-18-25-26-27-28
Still have boost control issues. With the JB4 and without. No codes when scanned.

Any logical reason why just the e85 would have caused this? Looks like it may be a mechanical problem? I installed a GFB DV+ but I've done full pulls without a problem with that.