GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

BMS VW GTI JB4 info thread

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
FUD 90 autoclears all codes. On the later firmware versions in the US its not available anymore as the firmware was submitted with the unit for CARB certification.

TheRealStanki

New JB4 User

Just installed my JB4 w/ Bluetooth today. 2015 GTI S w/ 38k miles. Very happy with how easy the install was and the results this far only using Map 1. So far no engine codes or anything.

Questions:
1. The gauges in the BT app don’t register anything for oil temp, trans temp, or load. Is that normal or is there a bad connection etc?

2. I bought this used, so how do I know if I have the original Map 6 settings, and the latest firmware? Can’t seem to find where to update.

3. I’ve only done some mods to the stock intake and run 93 octane. Is it okay to run Map 2 as is, or does it require any supporting mods like down pipe or anything?

4. I’ve got a little roughness at idle that didn’t exist before. Still on original spark plugs. Is that the problem?

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Just installed my JB4 w/ Bluetooth today. 2015 GTI S w/ 38k miles. Very happy with how easy the install was and the results this far only using Map 1. So far no engine codes or anything.

Questions:

1. The gauges in the BT app don’t register anything for oil temp, trans temp, or load. Is that normal or is there a bad connection etc?

2. I bought this used, so how do I know if I have the original Map 6 settings, and the latest firmware? Can’t seem to find where to update.

3. I’ve only done some mods to the stock intake and run 93 octane. Is it okay to run Map 2 as is, or does it require any supporting mods like down pipe or anything?

4. I’ve got a little roughness at idle that didn’t exist before. Still on original spark plugs. Is that the problem?

3) you do not need anything besides 93 octane to run Map 2.

4) this COULD be related to a loose connection, as mentioned in #1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG

Questions:

1. Normal. You'll notice that not all parameters/gauges will work. They're there because other platforms do have them working. Load used to work, but in recent updates, it now doesn't.

2a. "original Map 6 settings" don't matter. The purpose of that map is for you to customize settings for your car/needs. Feel free to log a map 2 run, upload the resulting CSV to Datazap (create an account on the datazap website if you haven't already), make sure the log is public, and post the link over in the Map 6 logging thread. Someone can help you set up your map 6 numbers.

Logging procedure, in case you don't know: start in 3rd gear at around 3k RPM. Floor it completely (the Pedal parameter needs to read "100") all the way to redline. If possible, shift into 4th gear and keep flooring it a few more seconds.

2b. Firmware updates are here: https://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50428. Beware that it seems like some people have been seeing issues with recent versions.

3. As said above, 93 octane is fine.

4. Others, including myself, have noticed this and posted about it a while ago in this thread. I once logged with my phone when my car was idling, and I saw the Ign_1 parameter jumping. I believe my log caught one instance of it spiking to 10°. When I switched to Map 0 (stock/passthrough), it seemed to disappear.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

CC-Rider

Had an issue with the JB4 and want some feedback. For some reason the JB4 started reading a lot of codes as I was driving. I rebooted the app, cleared the codes, and nothing has come back. It's probably worth noting that I'm running the Bluetooth adapter.

The dealer replaced the water pump last week and the JB4 was relocated. I checked to be sure it was hooked back up correctly and it looks fine. Anyway, that was last week so I thought if something was going to go wrong it would've happened before now. Car also seems to run fine. Here's a screenshot of the codes.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

rmcneish

Hi all, I bought a 2nd hand JB4 and I'm loving it. George was able to validate for me that I'm running fine on map 1, but mentioned that he can't help on custom map 6 as I didn't buy the unit new.
I only have access to 91 octane so I know I shouldn't use map 2 as my default. Anyone on here with detailed knowledge on these tunes have a moment to look at my map 2 pull willing to point me in the right direction for some map 6 settings?

2018 GTI S DSG, stock except for aFe filter w/ snow catcher removed.

https://datazap.me/u/rmcneish/map-2-test?log=0&data=1-3-4-11-14-18-25-26-27&zoom=0-95&hg=0-36

Thanks!

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Hi all, I bought a 2nd hand JB4 and I'm loving it. George was able to validate for me that I'm running fine on map 1, but mentioned that he can't help on custom map 6 as I didn't buy the unit new.
I only have access to 91 octane so I know I shouldn't use map 2 as my default. Anyone on here with detailed knowledge on these tunes have a moment to look at my map 2 pull willing to point me in the right direction for some map 6 settings?

2018 GTI S DSG, stock except for aFe filter w/ snow catcher removed.

https://datazap.me/u/rmcneish/map-2-test?log=0&data=1-3-4-11-14-18-25-26-27&zoom=0-95&hg=0-36

Thanks!

leave it on map1

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
Had an issue with the JB4 and want some feedback. For some reason the JB4 started reading a lot of codes as I was driving. I rebooted the app, cleared the codes, and nothing has come back. It's probably worth noting that I'm running the Bluetooth adapter.

The dealer replaced the water pump last week and the JB4 was relocated. I checked to be sure it was hooked back up correctly and it looks fine. Anyway, that was last week so I thought if something was going to go wrong it would've happened before now. Car also seems to run fine. Here's a screenshot of the codes.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Hi, none of those are faults or anything like that. Sounds like a connection issue on the OBD and the JB4 picked up something similar to what would be space junk just travelling on the BUS.

mustache rash

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI
Wondering if anyone has had the issue I’m having with the JB4 connect.

Mk7.5 gti
iPhone 10
Connect rev 3.6

I installed the mobile yesterday and it worked fine for 2 mins. After it would connect but then give a error “unable to read/validate settings. Check your user/meth settings to ensure they are correct”. Randomly it will flash the gauges showing the correct map but the error returned after 5 seconds disconnecting me.

I installed the connect following the instructions. I have checked every connection 10 times. The positap in the unit for power is tight.

I contacted Donnie and he said the unit is too close to the battery so I moved it. Same result.

miked617

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
21 VW GTI
Share a pic of your install. Mine bt dongle is facing towards the cabin and i never have issues. Mine is literally velcroed to the battery.