GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Auto dimming rear view mirror with Homelink?

goinkin

Go Kart Newbie
Has anyone with a 2015 GTI with lighting package and rain sensors installed this? Sorry I don't know how to resize the pics.

Enhanced Rear View Mirror with HomeLink®
Part Number: 000072548E
This interior rearview mirror features a modern frameless design, electronic compass, and auto-dimming functionality all designed for your driving convenience. The 3 integrating HomeLink® buttons can be programmed to operate most garage door openers. See your local Volkswagen dealer for additional model compatibility information and detailed pricing. Not compatible with models that come equipped with HomeLink®, Auto-Dimming or rain sensors.

https://parts.vw.com/p/Volkswagen_2017_GTI/Enhanced-Rear-View-Mirror-with-HomeLink/67791670/000072548E.html

Cozmo58

Ready to race!
Car(s)
mk
So what ive been researching it looks like 000072548C is the correct one for rain sensing wipers.

Now our current mirrors should not have any wiring going to them and the rain/light sensor is mounted directly to the windshield with its own harness.

Looks like this has a harness that runs from the mirror to the light switch and goes in line.

In that case they should not interfere with each other correct?

Cozmo58

Ready to race!
Car(s)
mk
I have no clue. I was gonna buy the C version and drop it in my dealers lap. See what they can do.

I found someones photos. If you can remove the A pillar then you can do the install. There is no wiring to be done thats not plug n play.

Sherifftruman

Ready to race!
So what ive been researching it looks like 000072548C is the correct one for rain sensing wipers.

Now our current mirrors should not have any wiring going to them and the rain/light sensor is mounted directly to the windshield with its own harness.

Looks like this has a harness that runs from the mirror to the light switch and goes in line.

In that case they should not interfere with each other correct?

Who knows for sure without trying, but that's the same one that is out there, but says not for rain sensing. https://parts.vw.com/p/Volkswagen_2...Mirror-with-HomeLink/66841915/000072548C.html

It looks like it should work though as far as attachment, but maybe the wiring is the problem. I'd love to try though.

Cozmo58

Ready to race!
Car(s)
mk
Who knows for sure without trying, but that's the same one that is out there, but says not for rain sensing. https://parts.vw.com/p/Volkswagen_2...Mirror-with-HomeLink/66841915/000072548C.html

It looks like it should work though as far as attachment, but maybe the wiring is the problem. I'd love to try though.

Pictures are here

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...homelink-mirror-retrofit&highlight=000072548c

Wiring for the water/light sensor is completely seperate from the wiring of the mirror.

Skwangtang

Ready to race!
Any idea if you can get just the harness? I picked up an oem auto dimming mirror over a year ago for like 80 bucks but it's been sitting in a box because I have no idea how to wire it. This thread actually reminded me I had it sitting around.

Cozmo58

Ready to race!
Car(s)
mk
Any idea if you can get just the harness? I picked up an oem auto dimming mirror over a year ago for like 80 bucks but it's been sitting in a box because I have no idea how to wire it. This thread actually reminded me I had it sitting around.

I ordered one, if the harness has a pn ill post it.

Cozmo58

Ready to race!
Car(s)
mk
What model car do you have? I would be interested in retrofitting to my 2016 s.

2016 gti SE with water sensor. It's literally a wiring harness that steals power from the light switch and runs power and ground to the mirror. Doesn't effect anything else.

If you don't have the trim to cover wiring going to your mirror you will want it

Sherifftruman

Ready to race!
Ok, ignore my question in the other thread.

So,this literally wires to the switch in the overhead and that's it? And this is the part number referenced above? I'm buying the crap out of it then.

Cozmo58

Ready to race!
Car(s)
mk
Ok, ignore my question in the other thread.

So,this literally wires to the switch in the overhead and that's it? And this is the part number referenced above? I'm buying the crap out of it then.

The light switch on tbe left side of the dash. Has a harness that plugs in inline.

You have to remove the a pillar but it's not too bad.

EDIT: here is the tag on the harness it comes with

https://i.imgur.com/vxoZ8WRh.jpg

Last edited:

GotHerFast

Passed Driver's Ed
2016 gti SE with water sensor. It's literally a wiring harness that steals power from the light switch and runs power and ground to the mirror. Doesn't effect anything else.

If you don't have the trim to cover wiring going to your mirror you will want it

Do you have the part number for the trim to cover the wiring?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk