GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Pedal Box purchase

chrismc

Passed Driver's Ed
You can duplicate 100% of what any pedal modifier does simply by pushing your right foot more.

& some folk don't want all that dead travel at the start of the pedal movement- the WHOLE reason they buy a pedal box in the first place!!

Sorry it hasn't worked out Richie

richiekuk

Ready to race!
& some folk don't want all that dead travel at the start of the pedal movement- the WHOLE reason they buy a pedal box in the first place!!

Sorry it hasn't worked out Richie

You win some you lose some!

I had to try it. I won't lose any sleep over it. Each has their own preference. Just not my cup of tea.

Good luck to all those who enjoy it.

Now to get the damn thing off!

Chris@Revo USA1

Ready to race!

I honestly don't know what you mean by dead travel.

But understanding how these things work, I still stand behind the statement that you can 100% duplicate this with your right foot.

The last thing I want out of a throttle/fuel pedal is less resolution, these remove resolution and remove control you have over the vehicle.

Drive by wire systems already have multipliers written into them which means that most driers never have to actually apply more than 25% throttle and can receive 100% load/torque/throttle request. Why in the world would you now want your 5% throttle to be 30%, your 10% throttle to be 60 and your 15% to get you 100%?

chrismc

Passed Driver's Ed
I honestly don't know what you mean by dead travel.

But understanding how these things work, I still stand behind the statement that you can 100% duplicate this with your right foot.

The last thing I want out of a throttle/fuel pedal is less resolution, these remove resolution and remove control you have over the vehicle.

Drive by wire systems already have multipliers written into them which means that most driers never have to actually apply more than 25% throttle and can receive 100% load/torque/throttle request. Why in the world would you now want your 5% throttle to be 30%, your 10% throttle to be 60 and your 15% to get you 100%?

Go & drive one!

The amount you have to press the pedal to induce any go/accelaration in normal mode is ridiculous! If this is VW's best effort at replicating a cable-throttle then they have got it way wrong! It's hideous compared to my 15yr old N/A Honda

You get initial throttle pick-up, then a decent bit of travel that seems to do 'not a lot' before it comes to life again.

It's the removal of this horrible 'travel that does nothing' area people are interested in.

I don't want a pedal that is asking full demand in 1inch of travel- however I don't want a pedal that has 2inches of spongey response-free travel either.

Chris@Revo USA1

Ready to race!
First off you said dead spot at the top then you said it was in the middle, so are you sure you even know what you are trying to "fix"?

Most modern cars including this one don't have an actual 2 inches of pedal travel to begin with, adding signal multipliers like this just make it more like that 1 inch you said you don't want.

And still like my initial post said, you can duplicate this with your right foot.

I assume you have logs of pedal position and driver requested torque showing this flat spot?

chrismc

Passed Driver's Ed
Apologies- the dead/woolly spot is at the top 'end' of the travel. Please don't split hairs!

I think we all realise pushing ones foot further gets round it. No need to repeat yourself!

Not sure if this is a GTD-specific problem?- but if you drive one regularly, you are all too aware of it. Do REVO offer a fix?? Have you tried a pedal box?

Im not the only one to have experienced it.....

Obviously these pedal boxes are not ideal if they compress the demand to occur over a shorter travel- however they do offer a degree of adjustability. It isn't all or nothing.

Last edited:

richiekuk

Ready to race!
After, struggling to get tthe damn thing off last night. I decided to persevere.
This morning I tried the 3rd setting (city mode or something). I added two +'s, and this seems the best i've tried so far. Not such an immediate throttle, but better than stock. A little harder to modulate in traffic though.

I'm going to continue to play until I get a chance to remove the actual throttle pedal, so I can see what i'm doing with this damn clip!

Jamzo64

Briskodian
Car(s)
Skoda Octavia vRS
Incorrect.

And still like my initial post said, you can duplicate this with your right foot.
... erm, no you can't!

It's the removal of this horrible 'travel that does nothing' area people are interested in.
Agreed, and a pedal box does it very well.

I'm going to continue to play until I get a chance to remove the actual throttle pedal, so I can see what i'm doing with this damn clip!
Try and persevere a little longer and find the setting 'sweet spot' that suits your driving style.

Chris@RevoUSA: I have a huge amount of respect for Revo and have installed your software on three previous vehicles (one of which was used to develop Revo Stage II+ for the 2.0 TFSI engine here in the UK) but with the greatest respect I think you are missing the point, and until you try one I don't think you'll get just what the effects are and the improvement it brings to our driving enjoyment ..... for those of you with a pedal box, and as Revo would say, Go Play people! :)

Last edited:

fastlane1

Passed Driver's Ed
Got mine! Love it, trying to find an compromise between individual mode and normal mode.

Thats the only challange :)

Great stuff!

Chris@Revo USA1

Ready to race!
Incorrect.

so let me get this straight.

If you push the pedal 15% and stock you get 15-40% load/torque request (depends on engine/ecu) but with this type of device you get 30-60%. And getting 30-60% out of the stock setup can be achieved by pressing the pedal say 25-30%, how exaclty could this NOT be replicated by applying more right foot?

Are you claiming that these devices some how allow you to achieve over 100% request?

and until you try one I don't think you'll get just what the effects are and the improvement it brings to our driving enjoyment

What makes you think I have not tried them? I first experienced one probably close to 10 years ago now and I have experienced them periodically since them. I have a 100% record of wanting to rip the thing out and smash on the ground so no one would be subject to it ever again.

golfhappy

Ready to race!
After, struggling to get tthe damn thing off last night. I decided to persevere.
This morning I tried the 3rd setting (city mode or something). I added two +'s, and this seems the best i've tried so far. Not such an immediate throttle, but better than stock. A little harder to modulate in traffic though.

If you have no map/tuning box i find sport +2 is a good setting. As for the clip, i'm clipless. No problems whatsoever. Did try the Superchips map only with the box switched off...yuk! I run the map with the box on Eco +3 and its great.

chrismc

Passed Driver's Ed
Right so YOU don't like them. That's fine!!

Please don't tell other folk what their opinions should be though

You like a long throttle travel with masses of adjustability. Fine. You push the pedal harder & eventually something happens. No problem.

It's obviously a difficult balancing act to try & make a potentiometer act like a throttle butterfly.

On a decent petrol N/A car throttle response is instant. You press the pedal 1mm & that is translated into accelaration. Direct cable connection- instant response.

This crisp response is what is missing in the GTD- (& I suspect other DBW models)

We DON'T all want full throttle with a twitch of a big toe- but I DO want MORE response than the stock pedal map gives. It's cr*p compared to what I'm used to frankly.

A pedal box obviously assists with this when ON THE CORRECT SETTING.

Do I make sense or am I going to have to start repeating as well??

Please don't start quoting torque requests & pedal percentages as if everyone blanket wants maximum request in 10% travel. That isn't the aim whatsoever.

Chris@Revo USA1

Ready to race!
Right so YOU don't like them. That's fine!!

And you like them, show me where I said you can't?

You can like them all you want as well, I was unaware that forums were no longer the place to discuss how things actually work.

Please don't tell other folk what their opinions should be though

Where did I?

I waited to comment in the thread until the OP stated it didn't do what he wanted and exaggerated issues, like the downshifting, not fix them, I shared how to do what these boxes do with something you already possess and is free.

It's obviously a difficult balancing act to try & make a potentiometer act like a throttle butterfly.

It isn't actually, it's harder to do what the factor does. In some applications we actually make it 1:1 and remove the factory multipliers.

When people first drive it they think it is slower but that is because their ankle atrophied from years of driving a DBW car where you didn't have to push the pedal over 20% to get 100% throttle. Once they spend a day or two with it and realize they got control of their car back they never want to go back. On my old 1.8t with a GT28RS I could pick my boost level to a psi with my right foot, that is how much control 1:1 gets you, these remove that.

We've seen the factory mapping and the pedal modifiers cause numerous shifting issues on DSG equipped vehicles because people think they are giving it 10% and are really getting 50% or more so the torque signal to the trans is elevated which causes harsh shifts.

On a decent petrol N/A car throttle response is instant. You press the pedal 1mm & that is translated into accelaration. Direct cable connection- instant response.

Many NA cable throttle bodies had non linear linkages to make you feel like you got instant throttle response, it was just a mechanical version of these boxes.

We DON'T all want full throttle with a twitch of a big toe-

Then why install something that reduces the control you have over the input by multiplying it to something greater than what you put into it?

but I DO want MORE response than the stock pedal map gives. It's cr*p compared to what I'm used to frankly.

These boxes CANNOT give you more response, it can't speed anything up. The one and only thing they can do is tell the throttle/fuel/torque request to the ecu to open more or supply more. You CAN do 100% that exact same thing with the pedal under your write foot. That isn't even something that is a matter of opinion.

A pedal box obviously assists with this when ON THE CORRECT SETTING.

Which as stated and is a fact, canbe replicated with your right foot. Why is it so wrong that I point this out? Sorry but you're the one off their rocker here because I pointed something out that could save you money.

Do I make sense or am I going to have to start repeating as well??

You honestly do not when it comes to the technical side of it. You have something you want to achieve and you are the one refusing to actually educate yourself on how the systems work. There is no need to repeat nonsense.