GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Pedal Box purchase

MrPotatoHead1

Passed Driver's Ed
On a decent petrol N/A car throttle response is instant. You press the pedal 1mm & that is translated into accelaration. Direct cable connection- instant response.

This crisp response is what is missing in the GTD- (& I suspect other DBW models)

You know what the main problem here is... you're comparing to an N/A car... a turbo diesel is never going to give that instant response that you're after unless you are at the correct revs with the thing spooled up.

That's my ten pence worth...I'll go hide back under my desk now :cool:

Jamzo64

Briskodian
Car(s)
Skoda Octavia vRS
If you push the pedal 15% and stock you get 15-40% load/torque request (depends on engine/ecu) but with this type of device you get 30-60%. And getting 30-60% out of the stock setup can be achieved by pressing the pedal say 25-30%, how exactly could this NOT be replicated by applying more right foot?
I'm surprised that someone of your stature can fail to grasp this, it's not how far you push the pedal but how quickly it reacts to that input. A decent pedal box can react a lot quicker than you or I, and one that is adjustable makes it perfect to suit different driving styles.

What makes you think I have not tried them? I first experienced one probably close to 10 years ago now and I have experienced them periodically since them. I have a 100% record of wanting to rip the thing out and smash on the ground so no one would be subject to it ever again.
There are a number of users on here and many other forums that would beg to differ and I'm one of them ..... Oh, and the DTUK pedal box was launched only a few years ago and as far as I know has not been launched stateside so you may well have not tried it after all?

HTH

Chris@Revo USA1

Ready to race!
I'm surprised that someone of your stature can fail to grasp this, it's not how far you push the pedal but how quickly it reacts to that input. A decent pedal box can react a lot quicker than you or I, and one that is adjustable makes it perfect to suit different driving styles.

The box cannot speed up how fast the ecu gets the signal, I'm not sure if that is what you are trying to say it does but it can't.

The time it takes the ecu to react to the input does not change, all you have done is change the input it finally receives, which you can do with your right foot (not up for debate).

Actually taking in a signal, processing it and spiting it back out can only take more time than the original signal, it cannot be faster.

There are a number of users on here and many other forums that would beg to differ and I'm one of them .....

Where did I say that your begging was not allowed?

If you are allowed to say that you would use one and like it, Is there a rule you can point to me somewhere that says I or another user cannot say they dislike them and would not use them?

Oh, and the DTUK pedal box was launched only a few years ago and as far as I know has not been launched stateside so you may well have not tried it after all?

This device by a new company is not a new idea or product and does the same thing only with possibly different options then all other devices which have been on the market for many more years do.

So yes I have tried them.

Jamzo64

Briskodian
Car(s)
Skoda Octavia vRS
Chris, as I've said before I have a huge amount of respect for Revo but you're not doing yourself any favours with your arguments, time to let it drop and move on.

Chris@Revo USA1

Ready to race!
Unless you have lightning reactions, then no you can't ......

You can push the pedal from its rest position to 100% in the time it takes for the ecu to even begin to respond.

It doesn't take lightening reflexes.

..... perhaps because it is wrong?

It isn't because of the above

chrismc

Passed Driver's Ed
FFS- I don't WANT to have to push my bloody foot as far down on the go pedal to induce some meaningful acceleration. Simples.

Yes we can all achieve the same pushing further- but at the top of the travel it feels like there is too much travel with not enough influence.

Clearly pedal position vs torque request isn't linear across the range of the pedal hence this unresponsive feeling myself and others have felt.

Too much movement of the pedal towards the top of the travel results in not enough change in torque demand

Is this concept so difficult to grasp?

Chris@Revo USA1

Ready to race!
Chris, as I've said before I have a huge amount of respect for Revo but you're not doing yourself any favours with your arguments, time to let it drop and move on.

Got it 20 years experience and knowledge of how things work means you are not allowed to comment in an forum related to your area of expertise because others are not able to post without their emotions getting in the way.

This is a new one.

Or people could take a step back and actually try to understand how and why things work. You can still like the product and understand how things work.

Chris@Revo USA1

Ready to race!
But you don't like a product that you've not tried and don't understand what impact it has so I fail to see how you can possibly be an authority on the subject?

I've tried products that operate 100% identical to this one, the only thing different is the user interface and the adjust ability, which I've actually experienced adjustable ones as well.

I actually also understand what they are doing to the signal, and how that signal whether stock or modified by this type of device is received by the ecu. I fully understand the impact it has, likely more so than anyone else posting in this thread so far.

Pedal modifiers have been out for longer than this product has. This device has possibly unique features but is in no way a new concept.

I don't claim to be the authority, I do however wonder why my opinion is completely invalid when others are required to have theirs listened to. Care to explain?

chrismc

Passed Driver's Ed
This is all I said

You can duplicate 100% of what any pedal modifier does simply by pushing your right foot more.

Yes I agree completely.

I don't want to have to push as far though because as standard the interface of pedal position vs torque request isn't remotely linear.

There is a definite zone where lots of pedal travel makes far too little difference in requested torque....as a result the throttle feels horrible/mushy/disconnected from the engine

Chris@Revo USA1

Ready to race!
There is a definite zone where lots of pedal travel makes far too little difference in requested torque....as a result the throttle feels horrible/mushy/disconnected from the engine

Have you logged this to verify or as someone mentioned is it simply an expectation set by an NA engine that is now a "problem" due to it being a turbo diesel?

You are able to actually log and see pedal position, driver requested torque and the actual engines torque output.

True statement but the angle of that foot to get "more" may not feel as comfortable as doing less.

This product as well as many others were created due to people not wanting to push "more" due to drive by wire. That's why there are hardcore enthusiasts that wish the gas pedal was old school wire cable. There are debates about having electric power steering and well as other things.

You can duplicate 100% of what any pedal modifier does simply by pushing your right foot more.

chrismc

Passed Driver's Ed
Have you logged this to verify or as someone mentioned is it simply an expectation set by an NA engine that is now a "problem" due to it being a turbo diesel?

You are able to actually log and see pedal position, driver requested torque and the actual engines torque output.

No I haven't, nor will I- the car is only 6 weeks old with 1100miles.

If you are suggesting I simply just put up with it as its a TDi instead of N/A then I've lost total respect for you.

I've been driving long enough & driven enough different cars (diesel & petrol) to know what to expect!

Regardless of what is actually happening- the feel is terrible. End of.