GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you get in the mail or bring home for your MKVII today?

GTI/TDI

Passed Driver's Ed
Checked my mailbox this morning and they managed to fit the box containing my new carbon fiber side view mirror covers in there. About 3 weeks to get here from China.

I’m kinda nervous to pop the mirror and stock covers off. Don’t want to break anything.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Checked my mailbox this morning and they managed to fit the box containing my new carbon fiber side view mirror covers in there. About 3 weeks to get here from China.

I’m kinda nervous to pop the mirror and stock covers off. Don’t want to break anything.

If you watch the videos, they remove the caps without taking the glass out. Honestly, much easier to just take the glass out before removing caps.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
Got my BFI engine and transmission mounts in the mail today.

I've seen the ECS and shopDAP install videos. Is it as easy as they make it seem, using a floor jack to support the engine?

Yes. It's quite easy. The only minor bitch is getting the tranny mount body side bolts in/out from under the wiring bunch.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Yes. It's quite easy. The only minor bitch is getting the tranny mount body side bolts in/out from under the wiring bunch.

When jacking up the engine and the transmission, don't be afraid to put with the jack. The moment all the bolts are out of the mounts, the engine and the transmission will sag. Give the engine/trans a nice lift.
For the outside bolts on the trans mount, you can use an elbow connector for your torque wrench. Allows you to torque things at an angle.

Bassman

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
When jacking up the engine and the transmission, don't be afraid to put with the jack. The moment all the bolts are out of the mounts, the engine and the transmission will sag. Give the engine/trans a nice lift.
For the outside bolts on the trans mount, you can use an elbow connector for your torque wrench. Allows you to torque things at an angle.

Hmmm... Mine didn't move hardly at all. I forgot to mention harbor freight sells a swivel Socket set for like 12 bucks that has the right size. I used that plus like foot long extension on a Milwaukee ratchet to get them out and ran back in and then swapped to a torque wrench for the big climax.

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
awesome thanks guys...I knocked out the engine mount today. Definitely no issues with the floor jack, just needed to make a few adjustments to get the engine bolts lined up properly.

Ran out of daylight so I'll save the trans mount for another day. Figured that one would take more time so hopefully over the weekend if the weather cooperates.

@ridebjj - think you can you find a link for that swivel socket? I'l run to harbor freight tomorrow, but I hate going there not knowing what I'm looking for lol

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Hmmm... Mine didn't move hardly at all. I forgot to mention harbor freight sells a swivel Socket set for like 12 bucks that has the right size. I used that plus like foot long extension on a Milwaukee ratchet to get them out and ran back in and then swapped to a torque wrench for the big climax.

Yours didn't move probably because you jacked it up pretty well from the get go. I did not, so had to pump the jack to raise the trans up a bit. The engine was better, the trans was more prone to shifting.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
awesome thanks guys...I knocked out the engine mount today. Definitely no issues with the floor jack, just needed to make a few adjustments to get the engine bolts lined up properly.

Ran out of daylight so I'll save the trans mount for another day. Figured that one would take more time so hopefully over the weekend if the weather cooperates.

@ridebjj - think you can you find a link for that swivel socket? I'l run to harbor freight tomorrow, but I hate going there not knowing what I'm looking for lol

https://www.homedepot.com/p/GEDORE-1-4-in-Drive-3-8-in-Swivel-Profile-Socket-1965352/206608235

The principle is like that in the Cardan joint that transfers rotation from the engine to the wheel axle. The one in the link is expensive. I got a Husky one for like 15 bucks or so at Home Depot.

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
Yeah that whole wiring loom is a pain in the butt to get around. There's juuuust enough play to get the bolts in and out though.

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
Recieved my backlit overhead console thingy. MK7.5 owners will know why I bought this. Thanks to the member who provided the part numbers!

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
Last edited:

DesertRat47

Passed Driver's Ed

I just want to chime in and ask a Question about supporting the engine. Can I just either jack up the tranny or engine side and replace both mounts at the same time. Or do I need to remove the jack and support the engine when doing the engine side and vice versa with the tranny side? I have some 034 mounts I need to put in my R. Thanks