GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Diesel scandal - the consequences

Hobby55

Ready to race!
Hopefully they are, though whether they'll be able to do anything remains to be seen...

As you say, we clearly disagree fundamentally on the relative risks.. but I still think I'm right and you're wrong.. ;) ;) :)

I think we both agree wholeheartedly, however, that burning fossil fuels in a moving vehicle as a means of propelling it is just downright STUPID, no matter what blend of fuels they are.. :)

:)

dosbox

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'08 UG 2-dr GTI
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-v...N0UL00320160107?feedType=RSS&feedName=topNews

Volkswagen AG (VOWG_p.DE) assumes it will have to buy back about 115,000 cars in the United States as a result of the emissions scandal, a newspaper reported on Thursday.

Without citing its sources, Germany's daily Sueddeutsche Zeitung said the company expected it would have to either refund the purchase price of a fifth of the diesel vehicles affected or offer a new car at a significant discount.
Note the bolded text. This could turn out to be rubbish, but it wouldn't be surprising if retrofitting a urea system proved too difficult for some vehicles.

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-v...N0UL00320160107?feedType=RSS&feedName=topNews

Note the bolded text. This could turn out to be rubbish, but it wouldn't be surprising if retrofitting a urea system proved too difficult for some vehicles.

Not surprising. I suspected EA189 cars without Adblue were going to be an issue.

Well, some folks are going to be able to get a new VW for cheap!

I suspect the rest of us with EA288 cars are going to find ourselves refilling the AdBlue tank a bit more often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hobby55

Ready to race!
Doubt it, as others have said the US Gov like to crucify foreign companies whilst going easy on their own so I'd expect them to milk it for all it's worth...

cldlhd

Go Kart Champion
Maybe the US govt will just bomb Wolfsburg? If they milk it "for all its worth" VW won't exist as I think the maximum penalty is $78 billion. It's leverage , there's a lot of people in states like California that own relatively new cars that they won't be allowed to drive as the state might not renew their registrations.

cldlhd

Go Kart Champion
The difference in potential fines is partly because GM , which was fined $900 million and set aside another $575 million for lawsuit settlements, and Toyota which was fined $1.2 billion is they were fined by the NHTSA while VW's is from the EPA which has the ability to fine up to $37,500 per vehicle. It's easy to see how GM's ignition and Toyota's unintended acceleration scandals are more serious ,as they killed people , compared to VW's emission cheating so people expect the fines to represent that but that's not how it works . It may not be fair but it's the law, the EPA has more power to levy fines than the NHTSA . I don't expect most people are aware of this , especially people abroad, and looking up this info isn't as much fun as accusing the U.S. of jingoism or peeking out the windows checking for the black helicopters but hey....

Last edited:

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
So how does the EPA enforce these fixes in states with no tailpipe checks? In SC there is no inspection at all. Why shouldn't I keep merrily driving along enjoying the benefits of my cheater car?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cldlhd

Go Kart Champion
Yes individual states,, most likely California, have the right to say these cars are non compliant and refuse to renew the registration. Not likely that person would have warm feelings towards vw. I'm not a lawyer or a barrister but I don't think the cars would have to be individually tested so even if the state doesn't have inspections, which I find ridiculous , they can be pulled. For instance you can't sell a new car in South Carolina that has the emissions of a 1968 GTO. Cars sold in all states have to meet federal emission standards and these cars didn't. Unless South Carolina leaves the union again ..lol. VW will have to come up with a solution and heres hoping it's sooner rather than later so this site can be about things like floor mats, cat back systems etc..

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
Yes individual states,, most likely California, have the right to say these cars are non compliant and refuse to renew the registration. Not likely that person would have warm feelings towards vw. I'm not a lawyer or a barrister but I don't think the cars would have to be individually tested so even if the state doesn't have inspections, which I find ridiculous , they can be pulled. For instance you can't sell a new car in South Carolina that has the emissions of a 1968 GTO. Cars sold in all states have to meet federal emission standards and these cars didn't. Unless South Carolina leaves the union again ..lol. VW will have to come up with a solution and heres hoping it's sooner rather than later so this site can be about things like floor mats, cat back systems etc..

Right, you can't sell a new 68 GTO, which is why EPA has its pants in a wad. Once VW let all these cars out on the loose with non-compliant emissions, it is way more difficult to get it rectified, not so much because of VW, but partly due simply to customer non-compliance. Unless the state says I can't re-register my car, why shouldn't I (and thousands others) continue to enjoy our artificially high mpg and low rate of ADBlue consumption? Just saying.

cldlhd

Go Kart Champion
Right, you can't sell a new 68 GTO, which is why EPA has its pants in a wad. Once VW let all these cars out on the loose with non-compliant emissions, it is way more difficult to get it rectified, not so much because of VW, but partly due simply to customer non-compliance. Unless the state says I can't re-register my car, why shouldn't I (and thousands others) continue to enjoy our artificially high mpg and low rate of ADBlue consumption? Just saying.

Because once a solution comes along from VW the Fed will tell the states all cars registered in the state must be fixed/updated in order to be registered and if the state doesn't comply they will lose all federal highway funding. As strippers say "money talks" ..
By the way in a different lifetime I had a 68 gto, lots of fun when you could keep it straight but didn't stop or turn well. I was young and dumb(er) then I am now and almost bought it a few times.

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
Because once a solution comes along from VW the Fed will tell the states all cars registered in the state must be fixed/updated in order to be registered and if the state doesn't comply they will lose all federal highway funding. As strippers say "money talks" ..
By the way in a different lifetime I had a 68 gto, lots of fun when you could keep it straight but didn't stop or turn well. I was young and dumb(er) then I am now and almost bought it a few times.

I tried searching for cases where that has happened, didn't turn up much.

cldlhd

Go Kart Champion
I tried searching for cases where that has happened, didn't turn up much.

Happens all the time. Maybe not this specific situation but all sorts of highway and motor vehicle standards are done this way. I bet the allowed alcohol percentage in your state is .08% . Some states had higher levels and were allowed to keep them that way but they wouldn't get federal highway aid.