GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

1.4 TSI 150hp tuning options

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
With computer controlled manufacturing, we should be able to specify almost any option.

Agree, also I forgot to add I would also spec the nice Brembo brakes fitted to the option packs on the Seat Leon ST Cupra 280PS estate..........:D

Also how about a 5 cylinder engine from the Audi TTRS?.............:cool:

Daner

Go Kart Newbie
I am under the impression that those Brembos require 19" rims, which make them impractical for winter driving here in Stockholm.

The engine from the TTRS (and RS3) is a classic, but I don't really mind that level of power being reserved for the sportiest models.

I think it would be interesting to go a different direction and see what kind of benefits to ride, handling, and overall performance could be had by maximally reducing rotating, unsprung, and overall weight while maximizing chassis rigidity. Carbon wheels like the new Shelby GT350R. PCCB rotors and Brembo Monobloc calipers sized for 17" wheels. Alloy (or even composite) suspension links. FRP springs (as Renault uses). Full UNIbrace bracing. Carbon seats from the 918/GT3 RS. Carbon hood, etc. Not a race car, just a more fully developed and optimized road car. (Still needs to accommodate a sea kayak and SUP on the roof rack!)

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I am under the impression that those Brembos require 19" rims, which make them impractical for winter driving here in Stockholm.

19"rims!!...............:eek:....No thanks!..........

Agree on making it stiffer though.

ajede

Here in the Netherlands One of the best VAG tuners in the world (according to many petrolheads) offers a software upgrade for mk7 1.4TSI models that wil run a 190/200hp / 300/340nm. Depending on what octane the car runs. I can asure you, it's fantastic. BUT.... If you buy an 1.4TSI DSG, the first thing you have to get is an DSG Software upgrade. Because the double clutch is probably the weakest link of the car because of the poor factory settings. Standard the car will be in 7th gear at 45-50 Miles an hour.... Those settings will burn up the 1st and/or second clutch in a very short time. That's a Major problem with the DQ200 DSG Gearbox. After such an upgrade the DSG runs so much better, really great. And there are many things they can change according to your own needs. Good luck!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met behulp van Tapatalk

Daner

Go Kart Newbie
My wife insisted that we get the 6-speed manual, and I didn't really mind. (She drives mostly highway, I drive a lot more in town.)

That, coupled with the fact that we wanted the hideaway tow hitch helped save our economy from my irrational lust for the R wagon.

Mario2

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 Golf
The bad news in std 6 Speed is transmission engine supports my my 2016 golf 1.4 tsi 150 HP has 24100 km and one soport was gone ?

Enviado desde mi Z5 Premium E6853 mediante Tapatalk

golface

Ready to race!
Ordered the car yesterday. Will be delivered in August as a 2017 model.

Of course, I found this the day before, but we have no idea when they will actually be available:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/volksw...en-reveals-details-of-new-15-litre-tsi-petrol
Wouldn't a 2017 model year be the facelifted mk7?
According to that link the new engine will debut in the facelifted mk7 golf.

Here in the Netherlands One of the best VAG tuners in the world (according to many petrolheads) offers a software upgrade for mk7 1.4TSI models that wil run a 190/200hp / 300/340nm. Depending on what octane the car runs. I can asure you, it's fantastic. BUT.... If you buy an 1.4TSI DSG, the first thing you have to get is an DSG Software upgrade. Because the double clutch is probably the weakest link of the car because of the poor factory settings. Standard the car will be in 7th gear at 45-50 Miles an hour.... Those settings will burn up the 1st and/or second clutch in a very short time. That's a Major problem with the DQ200 DSG Gearbox. After such an upgrade the DSG runs so much better, really great. And there are many things they can change according to your own needs. Good luck!
That's clearly in "normal" mode, right?
I drive in "sport" mode all the time and that never happens.

The bad news in std 6 Speed is transmission engine supports my my 2016 golf 1.4 tsi 150 HP has 24100 km and one soport was gone ?
I'd imagine this would be a fluke but that's a lot of kms for such a short time and you must have bad roads.

Daner

Go Kart Newbie

The split between 2016 and 2017 model years occurs at midsummer here in Sweden. Our car will be built during the first week after midsummer (week 26, the last week of June). Delivery to Stockholm takes 4-5 weeks, so I'm planning to pick it up in early August.

The facelifted Mk7 is not likely to be presented until the Frankfurt International Motor Show in late September, and I would be surprised if deliveries started before January 2017. I considered waiting, but I've been waiting for 3+ years to get this one ordered, and there is no guarantee that the options (GT, Plus- and Towing packages, R-Line, DCC, Dynaudio) and discounts that I am getting on this one will be available on the initial versions of the facelifted Golfs. Also not clear if the Sportscombi/Variant/SW will be updated alongside the hatchback, or at a later date.

Mario2

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 Golf

That's clearly in "normal" mode, right?
I drive in "sport" mode all the time and that never happens.

I'd imagine this would be a fluke but that's a lot of kms for such a short time and you must have bad roads.
I have checked it, and the support its OK, maybe it's another suspension or drivetrain issue, I have one suspension noise since the police pursue me ?, because I have police patrol light patterns an I activated the panic alarm and the lights when I was passing in front of police station, then 5 police cars was trying to bust me but in Mexico the police cars are slow haha ? I went over 220 so fast and the police cars can't reach me, then I made one closed turn, so close and then I arrive to one warehouse that I have and I put the car inside, minutes later I hear police ? siren passing outside so fast ?
That was so exciting

Enviado desde mi Z5 Premium E6853 mediante Tapatalk

Daner

Go Kart Newbie
I've been enjoying my car for just over 3 weeks and 2000km now. Running Shell V-Power 98+ exclusively, and never pushing it until the oil temp is up, and then only for short blasts. Noticing interesting differences in throttle response between Normal, Eco, and Sport modes. Nothing to make me believe it is out of the ordinary, just new to me.

For comparison I'm coming off a heavier, less powerful naturally aspirated car, and I also have frequent access to a lighter, considerably more powerful car (Passat B5 sedan, Turbo 1.8 FWD 5-spd with at least a stage 2 tune). When my car is lightly loaded, the on-boost power is completely satisfactory for the expectations that I had based on the power-to-weight ratio and torque curve information. It also seems to handle its 150+ horsepower in an exemplarily controlled manner, without the levels of torque steer exhibited by the older Passat that I have experience with. Of course, that Passat has more power, more turbo lag, and wheel spacers which likely have a negative effect on steering geometry, so there are several reasons for my newer, stock Golf to behave in a more civilized fashion.

If I were to improve one thing about the way the engine works, I would want it to have more immediate response to throttle inputs. It is nothing like the ketchup effect turbo lag made famous by early turbocharged cars, and I'm not expecting a 1.4l engine to have the low-end torque of a Chevy LS, but there is a slight delay between the push of the foot and the subsequent response.

I suspect that the upcoming Evo version of the EA211 has been designed to increase off-boost power and minimize that delay, as it has a slightly higher displacement (1.5 instead of 1.4l), a higher compression ratio, and a variable-vane turbo, which should spool up in a more responsive fashion. Peak power and torque ratings have not gone up, but they are making a point of how it hits maximum torque lower in the RPM range, and has 10% better efficiency when measured in real-world application.

Bart1

Daner,

i have driven about 4000 km in my 150 hp 1.4 TSI, i can 't wait till it hits 7500 km to have it tuned.

The 150 hp is ok, but the torque of merely 250 sucks. Not interested in 0-60 times, but in 40-80, you need torque to do this.

In first and second gear the car seems to be fast, but once in thrid, feel as if it lacks all power. Manual 6 speed.

Daner

Go Kart Newbie
Bart,

Your car shouldn't be more than about 40kg heavier than mine. I'm not noticing the marked reduction in acceleration between 2nd and 3rd that you are reporting. I would definitely recommend that you have it checked at the dealer to make sure that it is performing up to specs before getting it tuned. If you like, I can video a roll-on acceleration test on a flat road in 3rd from 40-80 to give you a point of comparison.

Also, according to VW's configurator, your car should do 0-80 in 6.1 seconds, 0-100 in 8.8 seconds, and top out at 212 km/h.

Daner,

i have driven about 4000 km in my 150 hp 1.4 TSI, i can 't wait till it hits 7500 km to have it tuned.

The 150 hp is ok, but the torque of merely 250 sucks. Not interested in 0-60 times, but in 40-80, you need torque to do this.

In first and second gear the car seems to be fast, but once in thrid, feel as if it lacks all power. Manual 6 speed.

Last edited: