GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

It's time to kill off the cd player

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I was hoping/expecting that having a nav system & Dynaudio sound that they would have at least given us flac format playing & not WAV/MP3 only!

Only on Nav Pro unfortunately!...........& having to use SD because the USB is abit flaky is a pain as my previous car had WAV/MP3 but on USB stick with no problems!

I prefer to have flac, but MP£ is less than CD quality & I have some studio master flac at 192/24bit but even the Nav pro I doubt would cope, but only worth playing at home with no other distractions & on my good system!

GOLF NUTT

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2019 Golf GTI
Would be nice to have the extra space in the glove box.
Also would make room for the little shelf to store the owners books.
I for one don't use any of the added gizmos in the glove box.

Skips

AM/FM, satellite radio, sd cards, bluetooth, MIB (instead of usb), CD. All that's missing is cassette, 8-track and an analog jack. They'd probably be able to fit those in the glove box too. Why not have it all!

thecytochromec

Ready to race!
I've been using my CD player much more than my phone lately, but that's because the songs, artists and albums I've listened to haven't been converted to a more modern form of media.

Not all of us listen to current top hits you know...

Hobby55

Ready to race!
Agreed I haven't used a CD in years, its just added expense, weight, and bulk. Personally I think the Ultimate technology would be able to mirror your smartphones display on the car's LCD panel and also control the phone through touch with the cars LCD panel. The fact is our phones have become the ultimate connected gps and multimedia devices.

Smartphone? What's that, then!! ;)

Seriously, though, I use a mobile phone for phonecalls, nothing else, so the SD slot is the best choice for me, ours won't work consistantly well with the iPod and the MP3 Player won't work at all... Though I'd get rid of the CD player...

Choice should be SD slot, USB slot, iPod jack and MP3 jack... With the Bluetooth already there that should cover all possibilities... After all, it's not rocket science to transfer music off a CD onto an SD card or USB flash drive...

Gibberoni

Ready to race!
I've been using my CD player much more than my phone lately, but that's because the songs, artists and albums I've listened to haven't been converted to a more modern form of media.

Not all of us listen to current top hits you know...

Not saying this in a mean way, but if they got rid of the CD player: You would convert your CDs into 1 SD card, right? It can be done in less than 3 clicks of the mouse.

pipsyp

Ready to race!
MIB2 CMS and DNS dont have a CD drive, VAG have shitcanned it. I also gather the newer units do play FLAC files along with some other formats that didnt work on the MIB1 equivalents.

I cant say why VAG went the route of putting the brains in the glovebox and just having the screen in the dash....possibly for reasons of packaging and to make it that bit harder to steal perhaps?

BusinessAsUsual

Go Kart Champion
The CD slot will disappear for sure in a couple of years. But as mentionned, this unit is the entire computer. It could get smaller with the years but I'm not sure it will disappear completely. Not soon anyways

brokenarms

Passed Driver's Ed
I use the CDs all the time.

Smashed my galaxy s5 and bought a cheap 9 euro phone with no bluetooth or touchscreen.

Battery is on 3 bars and I have not charged it in 9 days.

Beat that technology!!