GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

It's time to kill off the cd player

cozinsky

Ready to race!
Who ever uses their CD player in their Golfs? I have a MK 7 Gti and I have never used it. There are much better options available like the SD slot, multimedia adaptor, Bluetooth and lately Apple Carplay etc. Not only does it add to the cost but it takes up valuable space in the cubbyhole. My old Golf V used the space to store the owner's manual. Now the owner's manual fits nowhere. It is time to for VW to say goodbye to this dated technology.

CELT100

Ready to race!
I'm sure there are still people who play CD's. I'm not one of them, but there must be many that do. I prefer the SD card myself.

mkygod

Ready to race!
does the cd player even read data cds or dvds with mp3s on them? Otherwise, its practically useless.

Also, is there a way to just remove the cd player and replace it with a cubby hole to store things in it?

mlewando

Ready to race!
Well, I played CD many times. Much better sound quality than SD, especially if you have premium Sound system.

skian

Ready to race!
What they need to do is support higher quality files from the sd reader. At least 16/44 flac or even 24/96 flac. Then I would have no problem loosing the cd player.

tanstair

Passed Driver's Ed
Well, I played CD many times. Much better sound quality than SD, especially if you have premium Sound system.

Really your going for the CD quality argument, next you'll be saying Vinyl is the way to go :p

Quality is all relative, download a decent copy and never have to worry about it getting scratched, is way easier to update, and fits loads more songs.

I personally only use the Bluetooth, my phone connects automatically and carries on from where I left off, I have playlists for my kids, wife and myself, dependant on mood, my kids even have the control on what they would like to listen to next using my spotify account, CD's take up space and just clutter up the car, and dangerous if you try changing it while driving.

Big advocate of Bluetooth, everything's better with Bluetooth :D

skian

Ready to race!
Really your going for the CD quality argument, next you'll be saying Vinyl is the way to go [emoji14]

Quality is all relative, download a decent copy and never have to worry about it getting scratched, is way easier to update, and fits loads more songs.

I personally only use the Bluetooth, my phone connects automatically and carries on from where I left off, I have playlists for my kids, wife and myself, dependant on mood, my kids even have the control on what they would like to listen to next using my spotify account, CD's take up space and just clutter up the car, and dangerous if you try changing it while driving.

Now playing vinyl in a car is just not practical. A trunk mounted reel to reel would work though ;P

Chris43

Go Kart Champion
does the cd player even read data cds or dvds with mp3s on them? Otherwise, its practically useless.

Also, is there a way to just remove the cd player and replace it with a cubby hole to store things in it?

Yes it will read a data CD. Not sure about DVD
I occasionally use it to play music CDs

Gibberoni

Ready to race!
I agree with this thread.

I have not used a CD in a car since... umm... 2007ish?

Stripey

Ready to race!

I never use Bluetooth. Gives me the excuse to not answer my phone when I'm in the car!

Personally I use a combination of DAB, ipod and sd card for music. If I could be bothered I'd put all the good stuff from the ipod on to the sd card so I wouldn't need the ipod but I just haven't got around to it yet. I'd be favour of omitting the cd player though, if it was optional.

jeffkro

Go Kart Champion
Who ever uses their CD player in their Golfs? I have a MK 7 Gti and I have never used it. There are much better options available like the SD slot, multimedia adaptor, Bluetooth and lately Apple Carplay etc. Not only does it add to the cost but it takes up valuable space in the cubbyhole. My old Golf V used the space to store the owner's manual. Now the owner's manual fits nowhere. It is time to for VW to say goodbye to this dated technology.

Agreed I haven't used a CD in years, its just added expense, weight, and bulk. Personally I think the Ultimate technology would be able to mirror your smartphones display on the car's LCD panel and also control the phone through touch with the cars LCD panel. The fact is our phones have become the ultimate connected gps and multimedia devices.

Sootchucker

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI (2018)
I use the DVD drive in my Nav Pro to watch movies all the time when I waiting for the wife at the train station :D:D

RedGolf

I have only just recently collected my new Golf (2016MY) and I was surprised to find that the media player does support 16/44 flac files and not just mp3. Previous cars (not VW) I have owned have not done this. Presumably this is a new feature unless somebody can say different.