GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

BMS JB Stage 1 Released

ewok666

Passed Driver's Ed
I just removed my JB1 completely to get first free oil change and stinky cabin filter change. Definitely smooth idle without the JB1 installed.

Interesting, heat definitely effects my car. This has been observed on the same tank of gas where it clearly ran worse during the day when warmer and much better at night when cooler (under 65F).

I'm not saying there was NO effect but it wasn't as pronounced as it was on my previous turbo car. That said the WRX had a mean pull between 3.5k and 5k while the S3 has a broader band.

ewok666

Passed Driver's Ed
The ECU only sees stock torque so it cannot limit the torque. I would put the unit back on and would try out map 6 but whatever the cause its related to boost unless it eventually start doing it stock as well. This was my experience recently with a PP car, we tried everything including new units with no resolution. Dealers are having a go at it at the moment (3wks) because luckily it eventually reproduced the issue stock.

Doesn't the DSG report torque back to the ECU which causes the ECU to cut power when it gets too high? I've been told that this is one of the reasons why peak power for piggy backs is usually the same as flash tunes but peak torque is a different story because the ECU has been reporogrammed to accept more torque.

RedHotVAG

Ready to race!
Doesn't the DSG report torque back to the ECU which causes the ECU to cut power when it gets too high? I've been told that this is one of the reasons why peak power for piggy backs is usually the same as flash tunes but peak torque is a different story because the ECU has been reporogrammed to accept more torque.
I have a 6MT and some 6MT owners also experience the same thing.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie

Torque is calculated using boost, temp and rpm. It doesnt see the boost hence stock torque values. A lot of guys are putting the JB1 over flash tunes now on bigger turbo cars to avoid the torque limiters.

EVOX_SPEED3

Passed Driver's Ed
Just making sure I got this right...

So in Map1 - we input numbers in the blue box next to "Boost Safety"?
Example: It should come with 4.8 by default, so I can change that number to 5.0? And that should be it, right?

In Map 6 - do we remove the number that is in Map 1 (Above example) or leave that number in there and then make changes in the map 6 options?

Updated: 20.09.2015

We have finally reached a point where we have released our JB Stage 1 offering. The retail price is $379.
The unit is called a stage 1 or JB1 as it is called on the forum because it is a simpler unit compared to the yet to be released JB4 and does not signify stage tuning as one is use to when it comes to flash tuning.

[FONT=&quot]These units are now available and a ready for order at http://burgertuning.com/jb_vw_stage_1_tuner.html

[/FONT]
The JB1 is a true plug and play tune offering safe and adjustable gains. It can be installed and removed in minutes.

Install instructions:

Install instructions can be found here: http://burgertuning.com/instructions...G_EA888_G3.pdf

The JB Stage 1 is suitable for the EA888 Gen 3 motors with Golf 1.8T and 2.0T covering 210, 220hp and 230hp version for the North American and ROW market with dual injection. It is also compatible for the newer models that have the Flash ECU lock.
The unit ships with a base setting in map 1 that increases the boost by +4.8psi over stock that is safe to be used with 91US octane and 95 Euro. The typical power gains on this setting are 35whp and 45ft lb. With higher octane on a bolt on car we have seen average gains of 45whp and 65ft lb in Map 1. All of this whilst keeping the engines stock fail safes in place.

User interface software:
For users that have opted to purchase the optional BMS Data Cable you will need to download and install the user interface at this link http://www.n54tech.com/flash_files/jb4_interface.zip . The software is only compatible with Windows so for Mac a Virtual machine needs to be used.

Directions on how to connect and change firmware:

Directions on installing the interface and connecting to your JB can be found here
http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showpost.php?p=197021&postcount=1

Firmware is what runs the JB1 unit. As we release updates or new firmware version this can be uploaded to your unit free of charge.

Map selection:
In order to change the map in the picture below under the logging tab you can pick the required map. Select the map and click add. Under status the unit must show connected. This is done by clicking file and selecting connect.

Upon shipping the following maps are active:
Map 0: Stock with complete pass through i.e. the JB1 does nothing
Map 1: Less aggressive boost profile map, this supports 91 octane at the base boost setting as well as bolt ons. If higher octane is used the boost can be increased as well as with bolt ons. We found that with intake, dp and 93 the boost can be pushed to +5.5psi. The method of doing this is in the second picture below. A E35 ethanol mix has been tested with this map and its fully compatible to run at boost levels up to +5.5psi when complimented with FBO (full bolt on mods). For anything higher than +5.5psi race fuel is required.
Map 3: Map three allows the JB1 to be the methanol controller working as a fail safe cutting boost if lack of meth flow is detected. You will require a Coolingmist FSB to get this working. A explanation on the settings will be given once we have decided which base map is used and how much extra boost when meth is flowing can be given.
Map 6: User adjustable boost profile (see below) Active on units that ship 30.09.2015 and after. If you have previously purchased your unit before reading this please email me george@burgertuning.com to receive a copy of the firmware.

Map 1 Boost settings
Below is a diagram of where the user adjustment is made for boost over stock. Add in the value and click save.

There is a new release of the interface so now the boost setting change is under Boost Safety as circled in red. Updating your existing one if previously downloaded is not required.

Map 6 boost selection:

For map 6 you will need to connect to the unit and select map 6. If you have previously purchased your unit before reading this please email me george@burgertuning.com to receive a copy of the firmware. On units that ship from 30.09.2015 there is no need. If your unit has a exposed blue wire you will need to email.

Below is where you enter the values for map 6. It works similar to map 1 so the value is the additional boost over stock.

Dedicated Map 6 discussion thread here: http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12325

The below maps are currently being tested over a greater pool of cars due to them being more aggressive. They will be released with a firmware update that you can load with your data cable at no extra cost.

Map 4: This map can be considered a low torque map suitable for circuit use and want something more conservative.

The unit can log boost on the two sensors, dme boost as well as the rail pressure. The balance of the engine parameters and settings in the picture are exclusive to the yet to be released JB4 but it gives you a idea of what is to come.

Guys with boost gauges that are working off the OBD signal will only see stock boost.
If you suspect you triggered a engine light by unplugging a sensor by not waiting for the car to go into sleep mode rather clear faults before a dealer visit.

Support queries can be posted on the BMS support forum http://www.n54tech.com under the VW group section or using email at george@burgertuning.com . Please include the model of the car, fuel used and hardware.

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
So in Map1 - we input numbers in the blue box next to "Boost Safety"?
Example: It should come with 4.8 by default, so I can change that number to 5.0? And that should be it, right?

In Map 6 - do we remove the number that is in Map 1 (Above example) or leave that number in there and then make changes in the map 6 options?

Boost safety is related to map 1 only. So whatever setting is there if you have selected map 1 on the logging page that is the boost setting you going to run. If you select map 6 it will run the map 6 chart and ignore the boost safety setting. The numbers do not need to be removed.

ewok666

Passed Driver's Ed
Torque is calculated using boost, temp and rpm. It doesnt see the boost hence stock torque values. A lot of guys are putting the JB1 over flash tunes now on bigger turbo cars to avoid the torque limiters.

I found this in another forum. It obviously relates to an older version but I've been told the same applies to current versions:
"A little information about DSG and its ability to handle more power/torque etc and to put to bed the general assumption that it can't.

The O2E DSG box has exactly the same torque rating as the O2M box found in manual R32's, and that is 350Nm or
approx 258Lb/ft of torque. Internally at VW the gearboxes are known as O2E 350 and O2M 350 because of these ratings. (on Audi 3.2 TT’s they are know as MQ-350 and DQ-350 gearbox’s) same gearbox’s same torque ratings.
VW also produce an O2E 280 which has a 280Nm torque rating for lesser powered VW models.
The weight of the DSG Box is approx 95kg by the way of which the special gear oil weighs 5.3kgs!!, I know this because I have completed a competitive analysis and tested the gearbox then taken one apart to inspect it's internals. We had no problems with it while it was tested at the proving ground.

Anyway, that’s not to say that the O2E or O2M box's can't handle more torque as anybody knows, with the current
crop of conversions from HGP-Turbo, EIP, HPA, Rothe etc.

HGP also produce a Single Turbo conversion for the DSG with 400ps and 515nm of torque, so it kind of puts to bed he rumor
that the box is the "weak" point of the car.
The limiting factor of the box is not the gears or clutch packs but the programming of TCM (transmission control
module). The DSG TCM is programmed such that, if the input shaft sees more than a certain amount of torque (350 Nm)
it tells the ECU to dial down on the engine power. I assume this has been done by VW engineers to prolong the life
of the box and preserve clutch packs and brake bands, as I have heard that the clutch packs are designed to last the life of the car without out ever
needing to be changed... this statement comes from an article written in ATZ/MZT Engineering magazine (from Germany) in March 2004
by Dr. Frank Günter, Director of VW Program Management for BorgWarner Transmission Systems, who helped develop the
gearbox.

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
It's the first tracking. Sent Aug 28.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

That's amazing. I spent 1h30min making a case yesterday.

First thing you do it test old unit with new data cable. If its still funky then put new unit with old harness. If its still funky new unit new harness. My guess is you got a bad data cable.

MI_GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi George,

Received my JB1 today and just wrapped up installation (I had to get plug D from the bottom)- Do i need to worry about a firmware update, or is she good to go?

Thanks!