GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

It's the subtle cosmetic mods I like... POST YOURS

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
While the ‘15 & ‘16 had these little plastic covers from the factory and I could not stand the look of the ugly mirror screws when I opened the door on my ‘17 I got them ordered at my local dealership.

Part # for driver side 5G0-837-097-A-9B9
Part # for passenger side 5G0-837-098-A-9B9

You looking at ~$12 for each cover.

I had to remove the plastic rivet from the cover (just slides out) and cut off one little alignment guide pin -> so that the cover is flush for the MY17.
Added some 3M automotive double sided tape (the small blue is OE) and stick them on the door!

Weird, but my '17 GTI has them.

Bassman

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Weird, but my '17 GTI has them.

That's really weird! :eek:

From my understanding the door (steel) must look different to install these covers, need to have a hole for the plastic rivet and one for the little guide pin !?

So at least VW must have 2 different door styles out there...

Would be nice if someone will let us know how it look behind their cover from the factory :)

Evil Minion

Ready to race!
You the man, but looks complicated (I'm an idiot when it comes to electronics). How difficult is it to install?

No clue, haven't done it yet. Seems simple enough, I've messed around with more complicated mini electrical jobs before. They're all usually pretty straight forward.

I'm gonna start by following Bassman's guide:
It’s pretty easy.

1. Pull up your e-brake and pull up the boot, should pop right out.

2. Remove small trim bezel which is facing in front of the e-brake. Be careful you need to slide it backwards instead of pulling up.

3. Remove Torx T10 screw in center of 12 volt outlet. You can see it if you look right into it. This will remove the bottom piece and electrical connector.

4. Cover your center console trim around the outlet with painters tape or microfiber towel because you need to pry out the 12 volt outlet to the top. It sits pretty firm locked in its place.

5. Use a plastic trim pry tool. Is maybe easier if you use two trim pry tools on opposite sides. Maybe you can reach in from the bottom to support pushing the outlet up with your left hand. Remove 12 volt outlet.

6. Measure the max. diameter of your new USB outlet. Usually these USB outlets have a fine thread on the outside for a lock nut. Measure diameter of hole in center console and choose correct step bit.

7. Open up the hole with the step bit. Use first gear or very slow speed on your battery drill. Do not push go with ease. The plastic is soft! I needed a 1-1/8 hole. Clean up bore.

8. Pull out the OEM 12 volt outlet connector / harness. I made myself a short adapter harness (+/- wire) with two flat crimp connectors and on the other side the female crimp connectors which will go on the new USB charger. If I remember correct brown is ground and the other wire is positive.

9. Turn ignition on to check if wiring is correct and outlet will turn on. Secure wire with electrical tape and/or zip ties.

10. Line up USB outlet und push firmly into place. Press fit should be not crazy tight but tight enough that it holds the charger in place.
Mine stays like bullet proof. If I ever will get it back out? Who knows...

11. Reassemble trim pieces in reverse order.
That’s it your are done.
Happy powerful charging your devices!

edrex

Ready to race!
Red glovebox and footwells courtesy of deautokey’s Black Friday discounts and door latch covers from AliExpress. Pleased with both upgrades.

jimboski10

Ready to race!
Which two wires did you end up using, and what did you do with the third wire for the light?

Yikes! I do not remember. But I put a connector end on each lead to the USB and just plugged it directly into the existing wiring harness. You might be able test different options for plugging into the harness until it turns on ( I thought I read a while back that brown might be ground?)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SM075180

Ready to race!
So did you remove them or put a sticker over them (I know I saw somewhere)? It is one of those things I have never liked.

Also interested in knowing. Looks like they got removed or the whole thing swapped?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

vert1go749

Also interested in knowing. Looks like they got removed or the whole thing swapped?

Swapped out with European versions. Part #s I ordered through E-Acca:

5G0857551AJ3H8
5G0857552CC3H8

Disclaimer: they’re pricey at ~$100 each and were a bit of a pain to swap. Not sure if I missed something obvious but I ended up breaking the clips on both original ones getting them out.

rayzer12

Looking for some opinions. Nothing really new here as far as subtle mods, but would like to know what folks think of the front emblem. I did a little painting this weekend. I love the rear VW emblem with body color behind, and I love the GTI badge on the front, but I am not sure on the VW emblem on the front. I am now thinking of going back to black for the back plate, with a red stripe across that would align with the red stripe in grill. What do you think?

IMG_3789.JPGIMG_3793.JPGIMG_3796.JPGIMG_3802.JPG

thez99

Go Kart Champion
I will absolutely say from my 2015 to my current 2018, I very much miss the front vw emblem, the facelift version is just a solid plastic piece, I don't even think there'd be a way to customize that now and I've always gone for matte black emblems front and back :mad:

RubiksQu

Ready to race!
Looking for some opinions. Nothing really new here as far as subtle mods, but would like to know what folks think of the front emblem. I did a little painting this weekend. I love the rear VW emblem with body color behind, and I love the GTI badge on the front, but I am not sure on the VW emblem on the front. I am now thinking of going back to black for the back plate, with a red stripe across that would align with the red stripe in grill. What do you think?

View attachment 24586View attachment 24587View attachment 24588View attachment 24589

Too much red in the front emblem maybe it’s just me

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I will absolutely say from my 2015 to my current 2018, I very much miss the front vw emblem, the facelift version is just a solid plastic piece, I don't even think there'd be a way to customize that now and I've always gone for matte black emblems front and back :mad:

I saw that at the LA auto show and was like wooooooah, what on earth is this? Truly a pity.