GOLFMKV

It's the subtle cosmetic mods I like... POST YOURS

vert1go749

Only mk7.5 people will understand...

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
All LED backlit now. Had to swap the whole console piece from a mk7 to get the buttons to light up... stupid 2018 cost-cutting measures.
Do you happen to have the part/part numbers needed for this to work? I would be interested in doing the same thing

vert1go749

Do you happen to have the part/part numbers needed for this to work? I would be interested in doing the same thing

You bet: 5G1-947-105-R-WHI

Easy swap, just make sure you have a good selection of small torx bits on hand. Not sure what size the screws were that were holding in the sunroof switch, but they were smaller than I had on hand... slowed things down a bit.

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
You bet: 5G1-947-105-R-WHI

Easy swap, just make sure you have a good selection of small torx bits on hand. Not sure what size the screws were that were holding in the sunroof switch, but they were smaller than I had on hand... slowed things down a bit.
Thanks!! [emoji481]

knollMk7

Ready to race!
it's about $100 give or take (if you shop around, about $125. at most sources), but after fumbling around in a dark car to figure out the switches, I think it's a good investment

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
Might have to do that. I always fumble and hit the wrong switch. Don't know why they didn't put the dome lights closest to you but instead further.

For those without a sunroof like myself, part # is 5G1947105QWHI. Listed at $77.62 on e-acca.

iwannagofast

Not a Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GTI
Does something like this count?

You can see I did the same thing on my old MKV.

Simply cut the bottom inch or so off my license plate with a Sawzall. Cut out an inch off the license plate frame too to fit the smaller size so you can't see the cut on the plate itself. I have done this on all of my cars in MD, never once got questioned about it. Very subtle I think.

VDuBNIT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Does something like this count?

You can see I did the same thing on my old MKV.

Simply cut the bottom inch or so off my license plate with a Sawzall. Cut out an inch off the license plate frame too to fit the smaller size so you can't see the cut on the plate itself. I have done this on all of my cars in MD, never once got questioned about it. Very subtle I think.

Ahh. The MKV. Still me favorite body style. Very nice. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

krisprz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Golf R 6spd
Only mk7.5 people will understand...

Wait. Do the buttons not light up already? Lol I might have to get this for my 2018 R. How’s the install?

Last edited:

vert1go749

Wait. Do the buttons not light up already? Lol I might have to get this for my 2018 R. How’s the install?

Yep, 2018s removed the backlighting for all but the sunroof button. I’m assuming 2018 Rs are completely dark but maybe you were spared from the cost-cutting.

Install was super easy - 10 mins plug & play, trim removal tools are recommended :)

krisprz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Golf R 6spd
Yep, 2018s removed the backlighting for all but the sunroof button. I’m assuming 2018 Rs are completely dark but maybe you were spared from the cost-cutting.

Install was super easy - 10 mins plug & play, trim removal tools are recommended :)

Just checked and mine doesn’t have the lighting for the buttons too. Just ordered the part

krisprz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Golf R 6spd
Actually, my car does have the button lighting! Lol cancelled my order